What will your next bike be?

This still won't help ya beat this old woman bwaaaaahahahaha.

I almost bought one of these before I got my DRZ but when I heard about "over 9000 rpm voids warranty" I passed :/

That can be bypassed very easily, especially when you have "high friends in low places," or is it "low friends in high places?"

I've put 32 hrs on mine and only oil changes after every ride and after 3 oil dumps I change oil and filters and good to go ? Not one issue. The valve guides have been replaced 32 hrs ago which was the weak link on this motor. My pit Bitch I mean Pit Boy hehe has 50 hrs on his and only issue he had was his kill switch :D

KTM's are easy to work on vs the DRZ? very sound bike IMHO :D

Everything is easy to work on if you're willing to put the work in yourself.

The replacement for my DR-Z will need to be:

1. "street" legal offroad/enduro

2. engine/motor will need to hold as much oil, if not more than the DR-Z

Here's why I would want this BMW:

1. Comes with sm & dirt wheels

2. How many people do you know who has one?

3. I almost know who put every mile on it.

4. It doesn't have more than 1k miles on it.

5. I can get it for a good price.

For strictly "closed" course or around town riding, this g450x would be ideal.

g450xleft.jpg

Edited by smrookie
  • Like 1

Everything is easy to work on if you're willing to put the work in yourself.

The replacement for my DR-Z will need to be:

1. "street" legal offroad/enduro

2. engine/motor will need to hold as much oil, if not more than the DR-Z

Here's why I would want this BMW:

1. Comes with sm & dirt wheels

2. How many people do you know who has one?

3. I almost know who put every mile on it.

4. It doesn't have more than 1k miles on it.

5. I can get it for a good price.

For strictly "closed" course or around town riding, this g450x would be ideal.

g450xleft.jpg

I know one guy out here who has one but he is to Skeeeered to bring it out to the track ?

yeah I'm looking at the 690 smc's or a 990 dakar/adventure. I love how both of these ride but just not sure which to get yet. Besides... your buying it for me so I will let you decide Bwaaaaaahahahha :D

+1 on the versys. I love my sm but after 16k miles its time for something different. I also ride a ktm (200xcw) and before i bought it i heard sooo much talk about ktm maintenance intervals, and so far have not had an issue. KTM's are in another category and its hard to understand until you own one and can appreciate the attention to detail incorporated into these bikes from the factory. Idk just wat i think..

• Like 1

+1 on the versys. I love my sm but after 16k miles its time for something different. I also ride a ktm (200xcw) and before i bought it i heard sooo much talk about ktm maintenance intervals, and so far have not had an issue. KTM's are in another category and its hard to understand until you own one and can appreciate the attention to detail incorporated into these bikes from the factory. Idk just wat i think..

I like the Versys but not quite the bike I need but a good, fun bike ?

Ohhhh I sooooooo agree about the KTM and Maintenance... easy peasy :D

Ok.... I will share my thoughts as well. Since aquire'ing the F800GS.... I find there is too much overlap between the two. But if the drz was stock....no way I would keep it. 470...more fun.....but in reality..... for all the work my drz does... the 800 will do it all... but better. The time the drz shines is on very gnarly rocky dirt roads of say imogene pass or metal masher....rough neck trails.... That is where the 400 pound soft sprung suspension sets out on the 800..... but that is it. The 800 had it's share of bad things... rear bearings....r/r's....statorts fsailing at 50000 miles... the need for techron in high ethanol areas.... but it is a hoot. Sadly the 470 spends more and more time parked..... With a few upgrades.... the 800gs rocks... I say that after 3 years and pleanty of grins..... ?:D

Ok.... I will share my thoughts as well. Since aquire'ing the F800GS.... I find there is too much overlap between the two. But if the drz was stock....no way I would keep it. 470...more fun.....but in reality..... for all the work my drz does... the 800 will do it all... but better. The time the drz shines is on very gnarly rocky dirt roads of say imogene pass or metal masher....rough neck trails.... That is where the 400 pound soft sprung suspension sets out on the 800..... but that is it. The 800 had it's share of bad things... rear bearings....r/r's....statorts fsailing at 50000 miles... the need for techron in high ethanol areas.... but it is a hoot. Sadly the 470 spends more and more time parked..... With a few upgrades.... the 800gs rocks... I say that after 3 years and pleanty of grins..... ?:D

My Hubby had the GS/Dakar 650 and loved it. I rode it and it was a super nice bike and worked great on the fire roads :D He said it worked really well on the knarly stuff since he had the upgraded Ohlins suspension on it?

After I thought my mind was made up on the KTM 530 I saw a Beta 450 RR... Decisions, decisions...

One issue with the Beta is the front brake. The rotor is way to small lol

Hot damn I love that thing... the BMW too.

I would like a Husky 510. I LOVE the way those look. But after seeing the above picture IDK.... lol

If you have a chance to ride the 690 dooooooo. I know 3 guys with them and well they fing rock. The bikes weigh what the DRZ does and is well....... fun fun funnnnnnnnnnnnnnner as all it takes is a twist of the wrist and BAM you're on the back wheel bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahha

My Hubby had the GS/Dakar 650 and loved it. I rode it and it was a super nice bike and worked great on the fire roads ? He said it worked really well on the knarly stuff since he had the upgraded Ohlins suspension on it ?

Yeppers..... I think that all the medium displacements are good... Some requiring more maint than other....Some ligther..... etc. I have ridden with many and most could go a lot faster than me once in the dirt....( me on the 8gs) But the thing that became painfully obvious to me regarding the dirt capability....was the fact I have to ride a minimum of 1.5 hrs....to get to the trails..... In that process.....all the smaller thumpers.... fell short...... far short. They were all hurting......some more than other.... but even on the 690...they were toast at 70+ mph. I learned a simple thing. No bike I dont care what the badge says...... will do it all great. In my case I have to travel to get to trail side. If I lived in Aspen,CO... my choice would be different. Different things denominate ones choice, and if your looking for a trail bike, your'd be an idiot getting a 8GS......and likewise the other way around. All bikes are great with small differences....It just matter what support is close to you.... what color you like.... size of your wallet...... :D?

Debi.... If your hubby had the ohlin's ......it's a great setup..... The 800 is more dirt capable by far..... Did he trade it????? ?:D

Erling

If you have a chance to ride the 690 dooooooo. I know 3 guys with them and well they fing rock. The bikes weigh what the DRZ does and is well....... fun fun funnnnnnnnnnnnnnner as all it takes is a twist of the wrist and BAM you're on the back wheel bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahha

ANYTHING is a rocket with me on it I weigh 140 now and am 5'9" tall. The DRZ400SM modded would just carry the back wheel with me on it, it already lifts a little anyways. I can't imagine what a 690 would do with me on it lol.

Bingo!!

If I was to get rid of the DR-Z for another right now with no $$ issue. It would be the F800GS.

Then, there goes my supermoto track/race days.

Edited by smrookie

Yeppers..... I think that all the medium displacements are good... Some requiring more maint than other....Some ligther..... etc. I have ridden with many and most could go a lot faster than me once in the dirt....( me on the 8gs) But the thing that became painfully obvious to me regarding the dirt capability....was the fact I have to ride a minimum of 1.5 hrs....to get to the trails..... In that process.....all the smaller thumpers.... fell short...... far short. They were all hurting......some more than other.... but even on the 690...they were toast at 70+ mph. I learned a simple thing. No bike I dont care what the badge says...... will do it all great. In my case I have to travel to get to trail side. If I lived in Aspen,CO... my choice would be different. Different things denominate ones choice, and if your looking for a trail bike, your'd be an idiot getting a 8GS......and likewise the other way around. All bikes are great with small differences....It just matter what support is close to you.... what color you like.... size of your wallet...... :D?

Debi.... If your hubby had the ohlin's ......it's a great setup..... The 800 is more dirt capable by far..... Did he trade it????? ?:D

Erling

Exactly... the DRZ did a great job for me for the 4 yrs 50,000 miles I had it. I also want something more for the streets/highways hence I have been really looking at the 690 and if I don't get one of those I am also looking at the KTM 990 Adventure and the BMW 1200 GS adventure ? Just takes $$$$ hehe

Oh he sold it as he was going to buy the 1200 GS or the 990 and has kinda lost interest at the moment ? He hates my KTM as in his words "&%$#@! is this for? can't ride in on the streets" But he does love the power, handling and smoothness hehe ?

ANYTHING is a rocket with me on it I weigh 140 now and am 5'9" tall. The DRZ400SM modded would just carry the back wheel with me on it, it already lifts a little anyways. I can't imagine what a 690 would do with me on it lol.

You wouldn't believe my lil 450 smr... 51 hp and 240lbs wet hehe ?

Bingo!!

If I was to get rid of the DR-Z for another right now with no $$ issue. It would be the F800GS.

Then, there goes my supermoto track/race days.

No... you buy both ?

Exactly... the DRZ did a great job for me for the 4 yrs 50,000 miles I had it. I also want something more for the streets/highways hence I have been really looking at the 690 and if I don't get one of those I am also looking at the KTM 990 Adventure and the BMW 1200 GS adventure ? Just takes $$$$ hehe

Oh he sold it as he was going to buy the 1200 GS or the 990 and has kinda lost interest at the moment ? He hates my KTM as in his words "&%$#@! is this for? can't ride in on the streets" But he does love the power, handling and smoothness hehe ?

No kidding.... They are sure pricy. The 990 is an awesome riding machine...... suspension fantastic...... A few things drove me away..... Too big for the dirt work I needed... It is big....and feels big. Takes 2 hrs removal of all the plastic (and there is a lot.. :D ) for a simple oil change... F/I not dialed in quite yet. You might want to sit on one...because I thought the 990 was big....and I am 6'2". 1200gs is less of a dirt worthy bike than the 990 bigger, but feels smaller due to the lower Center of gravity... Look out for the new 2013 1250GS...water cooled...... and hide your wallet.....at ummmmm... my house....??:D

Erling

• Like 1