Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust upgrade

What is the best full exhaust system for the money?

I know the FMF Powerbomb (what a name!)seems to be pretty low priced compared to the others, but is it that much lower in power increase, or is it comparable to the higher priced systems?

And does an exhaust upgrade, alone, give you noticeable power increase?

Just toying wtih the idea of doing some minor tweeks to the bike. Nothing decided on, yet.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GreenMachineExtreme64

Hi,

I too am looking for an exhaust upgrade but more to tame the power and make my exhaust note more quiet. You will find that the FMF, pro circuit and the yoshy are aimed at shifting the power around to make it more usable. So much so that the Yoshy on my mates 2012 kx450f tames it so much that he feels it's a bit gutless in the mid!!!

Your not going to get a major power boost from a pipe alone, with most you'll see a 1-2HP boost at best, but more so you'll shift the power around where you want it. Shorter vs. longer headers shift the power from low to higher. I have a Yosh on my 09, didn't notice a loss in power and only a small effect on top. Smoothed the bike out all around though, took some of the snap out of your arms and almost seemed to settle the suspension. Great customer service too.

I have had FMF and Leo pipes before. FMF I did have some issues with and the customer support was less than friendly, unless of course you are sponsored. They had minimal parts in stock but wouldn't sell them to me and asked if I was sponsored, that was the last FMF product I bought, 3 years ago. The Leo pipe bascially fell apart after awhile, it did take a pounding though.

As you can tell, I'm a Yoshimura fan. Solid pipe with great cutomer service. No I'm not sponsored by them, but wish I was.

So a pipe alone don't increase your power, it merely levels out your output and makes the bike less jerky?

If that's right, it sounds like it may subdue/mellow-out some of the sheer jolting horsepower,, even, in order to make it more usable on a track.

So a pipe alone don't increase your power, it merely levels out your output and makes the bike less jerky?

If that's right, it sounds like it may subdue/mellow-out some of the sheer jolting horsepower,, even, in order to make it more usable on a track.

Not all pipes have the same effect. I've ran white brothers pipes before and they were loud, obnoxious and made the power all over the place, by no means helping anything. My Yosh on the other hand seemed to settle the bike and didn't give anything up. Most pipes (good repituble pipes) will add a few Horsepower, usually giving you a few ponies to the top end with better flow. It's not like it's going to add 20HP to a bike like a vehicle exhaust system may, but it may add 1-2HP, when your only at 50-55Hp, 1-2HP will be felt.

Decided to stay with the stock exhaust for now. Since you also gotta have a remapping kit to go along with it, I can wait a while and enjoy the bike as it is in stock form, for quite some time, yet.

Maybe down the road I'll do some modifications, but I dont' see it as worth the money just yet.

Its not as if the stock bike is lacking any power, anyway. The thing would pull a cadillac out of a ditch.

I also run a mega bomb and the power core muffler, the power is awsome. I have not had it remapped.remapping might help but I don't see that I need it(it would prob be a fun toy)

Hope this helps

Ernie

You should really get them mapped when you put an exhaust on them. Otherwise you really wont benefit all that much from the pipe If you're just looking to move power around and smooth it out a bit you can have that done without an exhaust just buy having it re-mapped. Quite a bit cheaper to spend 50 bucks to have it mapped rather than 800 for an exhaust. 450's have so much power stock I dont see how anybody really needs one, other than a slip on looks way better than the fugly stock silencer now adays. So if you're just looking to smooth it out and move power around you can do it much cheaper by just having it mapped to begin with with the stock exhaust. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input.

You should really get them mapped when you put an exhaust on them. Otherwise you really wont benefit all that much from the pipe.

That is what I understood too, yes.

If you increase your flow with a less restrictive header and muffler, and you still have the stock map/mixture, then it is gonna be running a bit lean

You will need it to be remapped to richen it to where it'll get the most benefit outta the exhaust.

At least from my understanding.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input.

That is what I understood too, yes.

If you increase your flow with a less restrictive header and muffler, and you still have the stock map/mixture, then it is gonna be running a bit lean

You will need it to be remapped to richen it to where it'll get the most benefit outta the exhaust.

At least from my understanding.

your understanding is correct. Not only will lean conditions cause you to not benefit from your new expensive

Exhaust it will make the engine run hot and could burn up. However, this isn't the case with FI dirt bikes as usually the maps are way rich and the timing is retarded from the factory that an exhaust somewhat equals it out but not 100%. This is why some tuners are seeing 1-2hp gains on a stock bike with different fuel mapping/ timing. Hope this helps.

I do my own mapping and can shift the power around quite a bit. I don't have a dyno so I can't claim it increases hp, but it changes the "hit" of the engine. I can't speak for every pipe on the market, but with FMF you don't have to remap it for a power increase. The changes I did with the mapping using the stock pipe and then the FMF affected it the same way.

I would actuallly prefer just the FMF header and keep the stock muffler. I like the louder exhaust sound, and it'd certainly be cheaper than the full system. I wonder if just a Megabomb header along with the stock muffler would need remapping/provide a noticble power increase?

I would actuallly prefer just the FMF header and keep the stock muffler. I like the louder exhaust sound, and it'd certainly be cheaper than the full system. I wonder if just a Megabomb header along with the stock muffler would need remapping/provide a noticble power increase?

Maybe a horse or two, 55+ isnt enough already? Like I said i understand moving it around (mapping) but I suppose if you just have money burning a hole in your pocket get whatever exhaust you want. 250f's are a little different.

• Like 1

i agree with dmm698, you may see a 1-2hp gain with with a fmf system, it's the best way to gain a little extra power without remapping, but i suggest getting riding lessons to improve riding techniques and track times, don't throw away money, the only way to gain maximum power with any addition to your bike is dyno tuning

• Like 1

I just put a FMF RCT 4.1 Titanium muffler on my '12 with stock header, she roars now and gained a noticible amount of power down low. It also seemed to smooth out the jerkiness of the motor, making if feel like the power was being put to the ground, not pulling off my arms.

yep been thinking about full fmf system but worried i might be throwing away money, do you know of any tests done, in magazines or web sites, that have done tests on difference systems for difference stock bikes and published the info showing power gained? thats without any remapping, dyno tuning etc...