Differences between the 02's & 03's??

I'm buying my first CRF450 this weekend, i found an 02'ridden C class with every after market item you can think of...However the bike's got some time on it, but no expense spared replacing new top-end and clutch, cables, bearings etc...

I've also found an 03' for $200 more, has exhaust/bars/suspension, other than that it's stock. the nice thing is it just has a few races on it so pretty new.

I'm wondering what are some differences between the 02's & 03's?? Keep in mind, it will be a Supermotard so i'll be using it for other than motocross (but will still ride mx once in a while).

need some input to help make the decision...

Thanks!

Jon

I believe the cam profile is a bit different, the airbox is redesigned (the '02 had sealing problems and was prone to suck dirt, the prior owner may have already rectified this w/ an aftermarket fix), the jetting is different (probably more to do w/ airbox changes than cam), subframe is different (lower silencer/can mount is relocated) and they changed the rear linkage to alter the geometry, with the same sag the '03 will have a steeper rake.

A lot of '02 owners put an aftermarket pull-rod (search for "storm link") or triple clamps with less offset.

I'd be a bit wary of the airbox issue, that may make me prefer the '03 unless the owner could assure me he dealt with it. Plus, $200 seems a small premium to pay for the newer bike unless the extra stuff on the '02 is particularly to your liking.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou Hick!

Right to the point! Just the kind of answer i was looking for ?.

The '02 has the pro-circut aftermarket triple clamps (for the less offset), he also has pro-circut quick adjust perch, other things that really make it look appealing, but not necessary for me? I don't know, especially since it's going to be a Supermotard. I need to ask the owner about the airbox issue too.

Oh, forgot to ask, is it pretty easy to 'ding' the aluminum frame on the side of the bike? I've been seeing some (CRF's) with dents right along the tubing running down the side by the engine...Seems pretty easy to ding that.

Thanks again Hick!