I see there was a thread like this, but it hasn't had a new post in almost 2 years, so lets see if this one has better luck.

I picked up my '03 WR on Friday

e483d145.jpg

Took it out for its first ride on Sunday along with my buddy with a yz400. The day went well and so far there isn't really anything obvious that needs to be changed.

204bc8d1.jpg

Today I flushed the old coolant for some engine ice.

fdd86bd4.jpg

3175b18d.jpg

Also I adjusted the rear brake lever down and removed the odometer/cable also since it is broken. I'll pick up an hour meter before the next ride and the yz parts to eliminate the speedo drive.

Edited by gots_a_sol

NICE BIKE ! CONGRATS.....I

PICKED UP MY 05 ,Yesterday cleaned the carb and rode it today !

now it has a total of 265 miles since it was new...

i am figuring out the power it pulls front wheel easily , i think i am going to like it.

I KNOW EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN IDEA !

AND I DONT WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO !

BUTT

I was told not to use that ice stuff in my bike , it is bad for the water pump seals . i am just mentioning it ,

you can do what you want with your bike . i am just letting you know what i have ben told.

ride on man !

Edited by FLYING FREDDIE
  • Like 1

Too long a list to type I'm afraid...but it is running again! ?

Probably the most time consuming project had to be the removal and complete disassembly of the airbox for cleaning and modification. What a bugger to get out. It was an absolute mess inside which has me worried a bit. The filter was clean though and the intake-runner (downstream the filter) was clean. Just surprised by the amount of gunk (oil/grease and dirt) inside. It's spotless now!

Too long a list to type I'm afraid...but it is running again! ?

Probably the most time consuming project had to be the removal and complete disassembly of the airbox for cleaning and modification. What a bugger to get out. It was an absolute mess inside which has me worried a bit. The filter was clean though and the intake-runner (downstream the filter) was clean. Just surprised by the amount of gunk (oil/grease and dirt) inside. It's spotless now!

GREAT !

KEEP IT CLEAN ....

Starting at 8am i took the bike apart, removed the motor, tore it down to replace 3rd/4th/5th gears, rebuilt motor, rebuilt bike, changed a front tire and broke it in at the track. I think i broke a personal rebuild record.

I am teaching my son how to rebuild MX engines. I am starting him with just cleaning parts after I disassemble the engine. Cant wait for him to get up to your speed. LOL

NICE BIKE ! CONGRATS.....I

PICKED UP MY 05 ,Yesterday cleaned the carb and rode it today !

now it has a total of 265 miles since it was new...

i am figuring out the power it pulls front wheel easily , i think i am going to like it.

I KNOW EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN IDEA !

AND I DONT WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO !

BUTT

I was told not to use that ice stuff in my bike , it is bad for the water pump seals . i am just mentioning it ,

you can do what you want with your bike . i am just letting you know what i have ben told.

ride on man !

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/961765-someone-tried-to-tell-me-that-running-engine-ice-in-your-bike-is-bad-for-it-what-are-your-concerns/page__hl__green%20coolant

• Like 1

Finished puttin my new radiators on and rode it today! Went well.

Question though, instead of a new thread, since this is about all 250f's. Is the YZ capable of creeping low speed like the WR? I know the differences in the bike and the intention was to make the more suited to this. But in our very tight trail at my buddies, i can slow down to a near stop (if not stopped) on my wr, just balance, and kinda put it around all the tight stuff without a touch down. Now i am not saying this is some kinda feat, as its just throttle n clutch and what not. My question is based on my somewhat wanting a yz250f for the lower weight...and curious if they behave the same way in such situations. I have not had a chance to ride a yz yet, though my buddy just got an 04, so maybe soon.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I am teaching my son how to rebuild MX engines. I am starting him with just cleaning parts after I disassemble the engine. Cant wait for him to get up to your speed. LOL

Thats cool man, its so worth knowing how to do yourself. I havent rebuilt my 250f engine entirely (just new rings, yz cam for auto decompress, and timing chain), but have rebuilt some 2t's entirely. Pretty positive I could handle the 4t though too, lol I can't imagine how much money you'd save to know how to do it all yourself in the long run, but it has to be a lot. lol. Especially if you race with a lot of regularity. Not to mention its pretty fun to work on em, and its somethin u guys can do together. Good times.

• Like 1

Finished puttin my new radiators on and rode it today! Went well.

Question though, instead of a new thread, since this is about all 250f's. Is the YZ capable of creeping low speed like the WR? I know the differences in the bike and the intention was to make the more suited to this. But in our very tight trail at my buddies, i can slow down to a near stop (if not stopped) on my wr, just balance, and kinda put it around all the tight stuff without a touch down. Now i am not saying this is some kinda feat, as its just throttle n clutch and what not. My question is based on my somewhat wanting a yz250f for the lower weight...and curious if they behave the same way in such situations. I have not had a chance to ride a yz yet, though my buddy just got an 04, so maybe soon.

I've just recently gotten into these bikes, but I'll try to give an answer.

The WR has a lower 1st gear and secondary gearing (chain/sprockets) and a heavier flywheel which allows it to chug along at low rpms. You could gear down the YZ's secondary gearing and put a flywheel weight on iit so it would act similar to the WR.

Also the WR has the wide ratio trans so it can get away with the shorter gearing because it has a longer 5th gear. With the YZ's close ratio trans, if you gear it down with sprockets, you will loose top end.

Personally, I like the tighter technical stuff, so the loss of top end wouldn't be an issue for me. But I went WR because I wanted a magic button, so it doesn't matter.

I am going to play with sprocket sizes a bit because I don't care for the 2nd and 3rd gear split, which seems to be a common complaint. I suppose I could just ride faster so I was at a higher rpm when in 3rd, but I'm not there yet ?

Edited by gots_a_sol

I've just recently gotten into these bikes, but I'll try to give an answer.

The WR has a lower 1st gear and secondary gearing (chain/sprockets) and a heavier flywheel which allows it to chug along at low rpms. You could gear down the YZ's secondary gearing and put a flywheel weight on iit so it would act similar to the WR.

Also the WR has the wide ratio trans so it can get away with the shorter gearing because it has a longer 5th gear. With the YZ's close ratio trans, if you gear it down with sprockets, you will loose top end.

Personally, I like the tighter technical stuff, so the loss of top end wouldn't be an issue for me. But I went WR because I wanted a magic button, so it doesn't matter.

I am going to play with sprocket sizes a bit because I don't care for the 2nd and 3rd gear split, which seems to be a common complaint. I suppose I could just ride faster so I was at a higher rpm when in 3rd, but I'm not there yet haha.

Right on, ya like i said I know why they are different...the gearing, flywheel etc. I just was lookin for some real world useage of the bikes, and better yet someone who has owned or ridden both extensively.

Honestly, if the yz won't do it too well, which would be understandable....i would toss around the idea of some modifications to make it more wr'ish. However I do like the newer versions of the wr. In fact I have been very happy with my 01 wr since i resprung it. It's still a heavier bike but it doesnt feel bad when you're movin. I can lay it over pretty good in the berms on our track etc. Just weight is weight....and really the newer wrs actual dry weight isnt that much less then mine, lol.

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the weight. I was riding my DRZ out in the woods prior to buying the WR and it tips the scales at around 310 lbs. The WR feels like a featherweight compared to that thing ?

(I scaled my WR as soon as I got home and it was 260 with 2/3 tank of fuel)

Edited by gots_a_sol

haha, i have been doing this since i was 10 years old, I have a lot of practise :D

Your a lot like I was. I was rebuilding our rototillers, snowblowers, and lawnmowers around that age. My son on the other hand stayed focused on racing and training and as long as he did that I had no issue doing all of the work on his bike. He is very detail oriented and has done some work for me in the past and it showed his anal retentivness (LOL is that a word?) and attention to detail so I am confident he will pick it up quickly. ?

Edited by Charlie755

Got caught by the building manager doin an oil change in the family room "garage" and had to relocate! Lol, last time i leave just the screen door closed. Apparently they frown on this.