i know the 2t vs 4t battle has been going on for a while but what do you guys think on them pros, cons on each

• Like 2

Type it in on google. This same question has already been asked hundreds of time... both 4 strokes and 2 strokes are good thoughg.. just rider preferance... with me I hop on a 4 stroke and I think I prefer 4 strokes. But then I hop back on a 2 stroke and I prefer 2 strokes. Can't decide. Both are great though for there own reasons...

• Like 22

I earlier asked for advice on which bike to get, a 250 smoker and a 450 thumper. I kept seeing how the 2 stroke had advantages in lighter, nimble, snappier to ride, cost and maintaince. Also a lot of people said the smoker was a lot more fun to ride. Also the rebuild costs are a dramatic difference. The thumper had advantages in torque, power, traction and was the hands down choice for racing. The tricky thing is, I learned that there is no right answer to the 2t vs 4t question because everyone has their own wants and needs.

• Like 10

2 stroke= cheaper to maintain, lighter, blast to ride,

4 stroke= smooth power, good traction, more updates to 4 strokes now, good torque, easy to ride fast

• Like 5

We should let this topic die already... otherwise it will go on forever... its rider preferance! Ride a few 2 strokes and a few 4 strokes and see what one you prefer! Cause there is no direct answer to which oneis "better"... like I said its just personal preferance

• Like 3

We should let this topic die already... otherwise it will go on forever... its rider preferance! Ride a few 2 strokes and a few 4 strokes and see what one you prefer! Cause there is no direct answer to which oneis "better"... like I said its just personal preferance

Let's change it to mustard or ketchup on a hot dog. Mustard of course, unless you're 5 years old, than ketchup is acceptable. :)

• Like 5

Let's change it to mustard or ketchup on a hot dog. Mustard of course, unless you're 5 years old, than ketchup is acceptable. :)

Oh pish posh!

It is a little know secret amongst us upper crust that real non high fructose catsup is better than that moostard puss.

• Like 2

Kraut, no girly sauces!

Ha Ha you got us!

Bratwurst is where it is at! Wait I feel a heart attack commiinnnnng arrrrrggggg! Quick get me some of that white tasteless stuff to counteract it. Toefoot I mean Tofu.

Edited by lookntoride
  • Like 1

Why let such an amazing topic die? It is the glue that holds the dirt bike community together! A little razzing of a 4 stroke guy by a 2 stroke guy (or vice versa) has never killed anyone and it is this bonding process that has the capability of creating new riding buddies and friends. I say let the debate continue for as long as possible!

Live long and prosper, TWO STROKE LOVE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 8

4t = sounds cool

2t = sounds like a pack of insects

• Like 7

I prefer non-smoking, the money I save goes to the bike.

• Like 2

I love 'em both! I've got a 4t dirtbike and 2 2t streetbikes. I've always had 2 strokes and never want to see them disappear (blue smoke addict). Crazy powerbands keep you on your toes!

• Like 2

As far as ketchup vs mustard, I'm with ketchup. I hate that french's yellow shit, and mustard man freaks me out.

• Like 9

Two-stroke pros:

*Snappy, quick and free-revving, instant "right now" power.

*Engine is lighter than a four-stroke. If Two-strokes had received all of the weight-savings research and development that four-strokes have benefited from over the last ten years we could be riding sub-200 pound 250cc Two-strokes.

*Far fewer moving parts makes them easier to design and cheaper to manufacture, as well as easier to work on.

*Engine mods for more hp are cheap and easy.

*Produces approximately 40%-60% more power than a four-stroke of equal displacement in an equivalent state of tune.

*Less prone to low-rpm flame-outs.

* Easy to start when you do stall them.

*Parts and accessories are generally cheaper.

*Maintainance for a serious racer can be much cheaper for a full season of racing.

*They are over-all much easier to ride in the nasty gnarly off-road world. AMost of the current off-road racers run Two-strokes for a reason. Tossing a light-weight, flickable Two-strokearound all day in nasty trails is much less tiring than doing the same on a heavier, more top-heavy four-stroke.

*Sound output, while at similar decible levels to four-strokes, doesn't carry as far. This is a significant issue in some places.

Two-stroke cons:

*Requires pre-mix oil in fuel.

*Jetting can be very finicky on some models.

*Even stock engines can be prone to engine-killing detonation. Any serious full-race engine mods will require race fuel for the engine to survive.

*Some will say that top-end rebuilds are more frequent, but for a pro racer, it just ain't so. In the hands of a "I can ride a 450 like a 125" pro racer, four-stroke top-ends wear out just as fast as Two-strokes. And casually ridden Two-strokes can last just as long as casually ridden four-strokes. Just ask any KDX rider.

*Some parts of the country do not allow year-round use of Two-strokes on public land.

*Except for KTM, and a few small European brands, Two-stroke development is all but dead.

*Current AMA Racing rules give Two-strokes a huge displacement disadvantage.

Four-stroke pros:

*Smooth, easy to use power, somewhat longer spread of power than a Two-stroke.

*Better low-end torque based on class structure. If you compare cc to cc this is actually not true.

*The greater rotational inertia of a four-stroke helps maintain traction in less-than-ideal conditions. This can be offset by adding inertia to the Two-stroke engine, usually done in the form of a flywheel weight.

*Jetting tends to be less critical.

*Can run much higher compression than Two-strokes before detonation becomes a problem. Even heavily modified engines can often still be run on pump fuel. This can be significant for the racer that's on a tight budget.

*Current AMA Racing rules allow four-strokes an extreme displacement advantage. Under the current rule structure, to be a competitive national-level racer, you pretty much HAVE to be on a four-stroke. Natural talent can only make up for so much, and giving up 100% in displacement to your competitors is a huge hurdle to leap.

*Many off-road models now come with electric starters. This can be a god-send when you stall on the face of a difficult steep hill, or even just because you're tired at the end of the day.

Four-stroke cons:

*Some bikes can be prone to sudden flame-outs at low speeds.

* In most cases, harder to start after you do stall it. Of course, many now have "the button", making this a non-issue.

* Heavier than Two-strokes, with a higher center of gravity. Even the newest four-strokes that have achieved weight parity with Two-strokes still feel heavier, due to mass distribution and rotational inertia.

*Many more moving parts than a Two-stroke. This makes them more expensive to design, manufacture, repair, and rebuild.

*Parts and accessories are more expensive. Building a competitive national-level racer is WAY more expensive.

*Catastrophic failures are MUCH more expensive to repair on a four-stroke. A seized top-end on a Two-stroke usually means a new piston and a re-plate and you're back in business. On a four-stroke it will often also mean a new crank, new head, and new cases.

*Don't kid yourself. four-stroke engines, when raced, wear out as fast as Two-strokes. A piston is a piston, it doesn't care how many "strokes" the engine has.

*The complexity of the engines makes many riders afraid to attempt things like rebuilds.

*Sound output carries farther than a Two-stroke at similar decible levels. This is becoming a serious issue.

• Like 28