Sign in to follow this  

Offroad Gearing

I ride my 2007 CRF 450 R on the track and offroad. I road last weekend with some friends in some pretty tight, rocky, single track. I had some difficulty keeping up with guys on offroad bikes. I am geared too high to negotiate a lot of the trails. Ideally I should just ride faster :-) but somehow I think I'll end up wrapped around a tree if I take that approach. I was in first gear most of the day in the tighter trails and slipping the clutch a lot.

I am currently geared 13/49. My friend rides a KTM 250 XC that I believe is geared 13/52. He was running in second and third gear most of the day and could lug along in first when he had too. Another guy was riding a Husky 570 (I think) that has been geared down at least two teeth in back.

I know that these two bikes have a lower first gear than the close ratio MX transmission i have. Would we be geared similarly in first gear if I went to 12/48, or should I just go with a new rear 52 tooth sprocket. I have a different set of wheels to use when I ride mototcross, so thats not an issue. I also have a 8 oz heavier fly wheel than stock.

If you occasionally ride tight trails I would say just drop to a 12 tooth. By dropping 1 tooth on the front it is the same as adding 4 on the rear. You don't need to change your chain length either then. I only recommend this as a quick fix and you don't want to run with the smaller sprocket all the time. It is hard on your chain guides ect...

Going to a 51 should be good for tight trails. I went up one on my bike becase , sometime we ride more flowing trails , and sometimes a little tighter trails , mabe 30 percent tight , and 70 percent flowing. If it was more like 50 ,50 then 2 would be better.

13/51 seems to work the best all around for me!! Used to have 13/53 and it was great for tight stuff but lost to much top end for inteconecting roads etc.. Just my thoughts.. Also maybe try a flywheel weight if you dont already have one.. It wont hurt on the track but will help offroad.. Just my 2c's

I run 13/51 on my 2004.

I also moto and trail ride my bike.

Should be fine for you.

Justin

Why not 13/52? I currently ride 13/50 and really don't go past 3rd gear for the steep mountain riding I do. I think that might be better. I though of going 12/48 but I heard 12T is hard on the chain. But I don't see why that is. Does any one know the reason 12T are bad?

My recommendation would be to get a 50-51 tooth rear sprocket for your extra wheel. I have used stock 48 tooth, 50 tooth, and currently run a 51 tooth rear for woods riding. I am in the Sierras in NorCal and ride singletrack and old mining trails in the mountains . I purchased a set of ironman sprockets in 13-51 for woods riding here and an extra 14 tooth front sprocket for the times I want to ride desert in Nevada. I would not go smaller than a 13 up front on these bikes it will wear out your slider too fast.

+1 for the 13-51. A few friends of mine with CRF450s & 13-48 gears went out trail riding with us and they were slipping the clutch and boiling their coolant. Slipping the clutch generates a boatload of heat. I'm running 13-51 and had no problems. I just leave it there for the track as I'm old and don't need to go any faster than that gearing will allow:) I did go back to OEM gearing when I built up a seperate wheel with a paddle tire for sand dunes.

Rick

My recommendation would be to get a 50-51 tooth rear sprocket for your extra wheel. I have used stock 48 tooth, 50 tooth, and currently run a 51 tooth rear for woods riding. I am in the Sierras in NorCal and ride singletrack and old mining trails in the mountains . I purchased a set of ironman sprockets in 13-51 for woods riding here and an extra 14 tooth front sprocket for the times I want to ride desert in Nevada. I would not go smaller than a 13 up front on these bikes it will wear out your slider too fast.

You wouldn't happen to be up near bridgeport?

I am in North Lake Tahoe. Have heard of some good riding around Kernville down in the southern Sierras.

Having a bit of experience running 450 in tight stuff I'd say gearing won't help as much, what helps is a heavy flywheel unless you want to go all the way and get a Rekluse.