2006 RMZ 450 ... Need some advice / help ... About to pull out my AK and end this bike!

Have not read all of the responses but have you checked that the shims are in the correct loaction on the valve tops, if the buckets move sometimes they lift the shims and they slide on the oil inside the buckets and then they are not in the locating hole when you push the bucket back into place. been there!!

Hey thanks for the tip. The shims were in the correct spot / correct size. something happened to the original cams, caused the sprocket to spin on the shaft.

Just got my new stage 1 hot cams installed yesterday. Now I'm just putting it back together between work and all the other BS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like i opened my big mouth to early. Got the new cams installed and everything turns over just fine until i put the spark plug back in. Then the engine starts to bind up during the compression stroke. To me, it seems like the De-comp lever is not doing it's job. Again, I'm lost and pissed off!

Here is a video of whats happening, has anyone ever had this happen?

That looks normal to me. If the decomp released very easy, you wouldn't be able to find tdc to kick start it. Plus you're pushing with your hand which is not as strong as with your leg. That's how mine acts when i'm kicking it over.

Well looks like i opened my big mouth to early. Got the new cams installed and everything turns over just fine until i put the spark plug back in. Then the engine starts to bind up during the compression stroke. To me, it seems like the De-comp lever is not doing it's job. Again, I'm lost and pissed off!

Here is a video of whats happening, has anyone ever had this happen?

Normal.

Start it up man - I bet she purrs. I have a hard time kicking mine over with my hand when looking for tdc

Help!

My 2009 RMZ makes a very similar noise (tap tap tap) and I am not sure what it is. The bike only has about 30 hours on it. It has never been taken apart other than to check the valves. It just started making this noise on my last ride.

Update: I have taken the engine apart to see what is wrong. I do not see anything wrong! Everything seems normal (nothing is loose or broken). I did notice silver metal shavings the oil filter and black rubber pieces in the oil strainer. All valves are withing specs except on exhause valve is at 10/1000's of an inch and the limit is 9 thousanths.

Anyone have any idea what the noise is? THANKS!

Edited by RMZcanada

• 2 weeks later...

Help!

My 2009 RMZ makes a very similar noise (tap tap tap) and I am not sure what it is. The bike only has about 30 hours on it. It has never been taken apart other than to check the valves. It just started making this noise on my last ride.

Update: I have taken the engine apart to see what is wrong. I do not see anything wrong! Everything seems normal (nothing is loose or broken). I did notice silver metal shavings the oil filter and black rubber pieces in the oil strainer. All valves are withing specs except on exhause valve is at 10/1000's of an inch and the limit is 9 thousanths.

Anyone have any idea what the noise is? THANKS!

Mine was the cams... The cam sprocket spun on the shaft. so when i set my TDC it was correct to the sprocket, however the lobes were in the wrong spot. Should be a pic on the first page of this thread

Normal.

Start it up man - I bet she purrs. I have a hard time kicking mine over with my hand when looking for tdc

That looks normal to me. If the decomp released very easy, you wouldn't be able to find tdc to kick start it. Plus you're pushing with your hand which is not as strong as with your leg. That's how mine acts when i'm kicking it over.

All i want to do is start this bike!!! but It also does this when i use my leg. I know these are hard to kick over... but this thing just comes to a stop mid kick. I have tried to start it several times, but no luck.

I know the valves are not hitting the piston, and my decomp lever snaps back correct. To me its like the lobe on the decomp lever is worn or something. Like its not opening that exhaust valve. I mean i can stand on the kick starter and im 185lbs... i thought max compression was only like in the 170's. IDK just super bummed, spend all summer and so much money...

Ill try an bump start it tonight, let you know how it goes.

Any other ideas?

All i want to do is start this bike!!! but It also does this when i use my leg. I know these are hard to kick over... but this thing just comes to a stop mid kick. I have tried to start it several times, but no luck.

I know the valves are not hitting the piston, and my decomp lever snaps back correct. To me its like the lobe on the decomp lever is worn or something. Like its not opening that exhaust valve. I mean i can stand on the kick starter and im 185lbs... i thought max compression was only like in the 170's. IDK just super bummed, spend all summer and so much money...

Ill try an bump start it tonight, let you know how it goes.

Any other ideas?

Hmmm yeah that def is too hard. I can do mine with my hand but it's tough. Strange because my bud has an 06 rmz 450 and it shut off and now his kick starter is locked.....no movement. We pulled the valve cover and the valves were super tight but not touching. I'll ask him if he ever figured out what was up with it.,,

Hey Kryonkid,

That is weird about your camshaft. I thought the cam sprocket and the shaft were one piece so I didn't think it would be possible the sprocket to spin on the shaft and make the timing out! Is the cam sprocket/shaft one piece or two pieces?

Update on my bike. The rubber pieces were from the backside of the clutch basket (they are called cushions). The cushions broke apart & clogged one of my oil pumps. This prevented the crank from getting enough oil. The botton end bearing started to wear and metal shavings came off the bearing. These shavings them went through the engine & got between the cylinder and the piston. Luckily, I noticed it right away and shut the bike down. Bottom line - I need a new crankshaft, piston kit, cylinder hone, clutch basket.

This same problem happened to 2 people I know with the same bike all around the 50 hour mark. They didn't notice the problem right away & they had to rebuid the entire engine. I am convinced this must be a flaw the the 2009 RMZ 450. Of course Suzuki will not admit to it.

Hey Kryonkid,

That is weird about your camshaft. I thought the cam sprocket and the shaft were one piece so I didn't think it would be possible the sprocket to spin on the shaft and make the timing out! Is the cam sprocket/shaft one piece or two pieces?

Update on my bike. The rubber pieces were from the backside of the clutch basket (they are called cushions). The cushions broke apart & clogged one of my oil pumps. This prevented the crank from getting enough oil. The botton end bearing started to wear and metal shavings came off the bearing. These shavings them went through the engine & got between the cylinder and the piston. Luckily, I noticed it right away and shut the bike down. Bottom line - I need a new crankshaft, piston kit, cylinder hone, clutch basket.

This same problem happened to 2 people I know with the same bike all around the 50 hour mark. They didn't notice the problem right away & they had to rebuid the entire engine. I am convinced this must be a flaw the the 2009 RMZ 450. Of course Suzuki will not admit to it.

Man that sucks! Good luck. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? If so, might take some video or pics. Maybe write up a thread on it. Would be interesting to follow the progress.

Similar problem, finally found out that my sprocket slipped about 2 teeth on the intake cam. Likely due to the timing chain jumping and binding up in the bottom.

Ordered new hot cam Stg 1 and installed. Bike is significantly easier to kick over. Not butter smooth like some I see, but that may be due to normal wear of all the other components.

FWIW, the bike started 1st kick, ran smoother than it had been, and the Stg 1 added a nice portion of pull from lower mid thru the upper end.

I ordered a degree wheel and have a dial indicator thinking I may have to degree the exhaust cam to insure it was decompressing correctly. Due to the results, haven't done that so far. Might the next time i change the oil.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I recently bought a 2006 RMZ 450 and did a supermoto conversion. In my opinion it cam out nice.

Here is a link to the pictures so far: https://plus.google....052013470449265

I sent a PM but I don't always notice those so...... I thought I'd just mention it here....

I noticed your Pastrana/cernics graphics in those photos. I just bought a set of number plate backgrounds that go with those graphics on ebay . What are your plans for those plastics with the Pastrana/cernics graphics?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm yeah that def is too hard. I can do mine with my hand but it's tough. Strange because my bud has an 06 rmz 450 and it shut off and now his kick starter is locked.....no movement. We pulled the valve cover and the valves were super tight but not touching. I'll ask him if he ever figured out what was up with it.,,

My bike (06 rmz 450) did this (kick starter locked up .....no movement) . I was hoping yellowbanana asked his friend or if anybody else had this issue and resolved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you have fixed your problem, but i have a few suggestions.

1) Can't make out in your video, but do you have the intake and exhaust cam caps in the correct positions?

2) There are two half moon shims that go on the cam gear side of the cams, if these are missing it could cause cam chain binding.

3) The video of you checking the play in the connecting rod, that seems fine. It almost looks in the video that the crank has play. The crank bearings are a press fit on the crank spindle and a tight fit in the case, there should be no crank play.

4) May be possible that the cam chain is twisted, although unlikely.