Radiator Questions

Got a couple of questions after doing some work on the bike this weekend. I was cleaning the radiators and deciding if I wanted to do the mod I had read about that Ty and Hawk recommended on the 400s of stripping the paint of the rads to help keep them cooler.

So I was looking and noticed that the left radiator doesn't stick out as far as the right hand side(viewpoint from sitting on the bike). Is that normal? I don't think that it should be that way.

After looking more closely at the rads. The second one might be causing the first issue. The outside row of of fins are crushed completely in on the left rad. By just looking at it more closely did I notice it. The tanks suffered no damage or anything just that row. So would that row cause my bike to run hotter than some of my buddies 400.

I had atrributed it too riding style as I have a more abusive style than he.

And third question is there anyplace that repairs rads that anyone knows about? I didn't see any in the bike mags. And the local rad shops for cars looks at me real fully when I showed them the bikes. LOL

By the way if this thread looks flaky then it is due to the fact that I am working nights and just started back on them after being off them for a long time. LOL

------------------

Scott #410

Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"

'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)

'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR

"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"

"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Pics

About the paint, I spoke with Terry Myler the other day and he said they run cooler with the paint. I was about to remove paint from mine also....even bought the aircraft paint remover.

------------------

NO SCADE.com ftw808@noscade.com smlwatemail.gif

[This message has been edited by ftw808 (edited September 28, 2001).]

I am not doubting you but I think that it is funny as I have seen in the mags about the paint issue(Ty and Randy removing it because of heat build up) and supposedly that is why Yamaha went to the unpainted radiators on the 2000 and newer models. Varying points of views always intrigues me.

Now I have seen the black thermal coating that some companies do to remove heat from the treated items.

Where is Terry located?????

------------------

Scott #410

Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"

'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)

'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR

"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"

"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Pics

I asked the same ? about the newer models. Terry thought it was to save money or ?

his is his address:

8414 south McDowell Ct.

West Jordan, Utah 84088

------------------

<a href="http://noscade.com">smlwat.gif

[This message has been edited by ftw808 (edited September 29, 2001).]