Sign in to follow this  

Are the expensive boots worth it?

I have tech 3's right now and have had them for more than 5 years, needless to say im due for a new pair too. The thor boots I tried on werent as comfortable which was why I went with the tech 3's. Has anyone had experience with fly boots though? or 661 boots? I would love a pair of gaerne or sidi's but theyre just to expensive for me.

Edited by txmxer

My only experience comes from Alpinestars, so thats all I comment on. When I was younger I could never stomach spending $400+ on a set of boots, but now I see why they are are worth that. They are very comfy, and Alpinestars has the best customer support/warranty I have ever seen. When my Tech 8's finally wear out, I will have no isuue dropping $$$ on a new set of tech 8's or 10's, because I know they will stand behind there product.

Justin

I've been riding/racing single track/desert with Scott 450 and 250 boots for about a year and a half. In the past I've had Fox Pro Forma, Hallman, etc. The Scott 250's are a great boot that are fairly cheap and have held up great. I haven't ever had Sidi's, but do want to try them to see how much difference there could be.

I think with most gear you probably get the most bang for your buck in the middle level stuff.

I can walk through a bog in my Sidi and then get my foot caught in a rut and come out the other side of it all with dry undamaged feet and then wear them for 7 hours having them feel like i was wearing a nice pair of Nikes.

Tech 7's are probably the single worst boot ive ever tried. The new tech 8's are really good but wear out a little quick. I've got a pair of sg12's on the way and am very excited to try them out.

Totally disagree. Tech 7's are an excellent boot. Some like a bootie and some don't. I don't and like the extra feel. I wish I still had some Tech 6's!!!

Alpinestar tech 6 is the best boot I have ever tried, when they stopped making them I bought a couple pairs to last me a while, I am on my 2nd pair, and each pair lasts a long time!

+1 on that. 5's were good too!

You guys need to try some Forma Dominators!

How are your soles hanging in?

I had some Dominators last boots before my Sidi's. Awesome boots but the soles didn't last the longest. My Sidi's soles may last longer but I've had nothing but problems with them. Less than 2 seasons old and they're basically garbage.

Might get some Forma Dominators again next time if they have tougher soles now....

I have about 100hrs on mine so far, no problems. I have heard from someone else that they through their booties in the washing machine and they blew apart. The steel tips and straps are still there and seem to be holding strong. They are warm though!

Pics kinda crappy but they literally look brand new.

d7fe00e6.jpg

I have about 100hrs on mine so far, no problems. I have heard from someone else that they through their booties in the washing machine and they blew apart. The steel tips and straps are still there and seem to be holding strong. They are warm though!

Pics kinda crappy but they literally look brand new.

d7fe00e6.jpg

Yes, they are warm!

Mine started eating away on the arches of my braking foot pretty fast. Shoe gooed many times to get all I could out of them, but now they're practically right through the right foot sole. The bootie on one boot also tore the inside heel out on the outer boot. But all in all, they held up and have more hrs on them than my Sidi's.

I've had to replace hinges on my Sidi's multiple times and now the soles are delaming everywhere. Shoe Goo will only keep them together so long...

I also liked the buckle system on the Formas better and they had better fit and feel. Excellent flex on the ankle hinge :)

Yes, they are warm!

Mine started eating away on the arches of my braking foot pretty fast. Shoe gooed many times to get all I could out of them, but now they're practically right through the right foot sole. The bootie on one boot also tore the inside heel out on the outer boot. But all in all, they held up and have more hrs on them than my Sidi's.

I've had to replace hinges on my Sidi's multiple times and now the soles are delaming everywhere. Shoe Goo will only keep them together so long...

I also liked the buckle system on the Formas better and they had better fit and feel. Excellent flex on the ankle hinge :)

Took about 30hrs to break in properly though, man are they stiff!

Alpinestar tech 6 is the best boot I have ever tried, when they stopped making them I bought a couple pairs to last me a while, I am on my 2nd pair, and each pair lasts a long time!

There a great boot. Found a pair on ebay for $120, the seller said had 5 rides on them. When I got them they still looked new.

A week later when for a ride very comfortable. I hope they last as long as my 8yr old tech6. Wish thay still made them.

Anywhy I would never pay full retail price on high end boots...but would like to try sidi some day. Until then thank you ebay.