Bike won't run w/o full choke, TAT tomorrow :(

Not sure what happened, but over the past week the bike WILL NOT RUN. Ran great this past weekend, no issues at all. Now all of a sudden it won't stay running.

Pulled Carb, totally clean, cleaned it anyway fully. pine sol bath for a couple hours, full rinse, 100psi compressed air blow clean. Everything spotless.

1.5 turn a/f screw

If I try to give it gas it dies. If I can get the revs up (takes a long time of slightly giving fuel), I can then knock it down to no choke, but I'm WOT and barely idling.

Bypassed the petcock and favor of a 2 ft fuel line held up a the handlebars with fresh fuel and a pinched vacuum line. It sucks that fuel down like a fat kid and chocolate milk.

I'm supposed to be starting my TAT trip tomorrow...Thank god I have till thursday to travel 500 miles of highway lol. Still had lots of stops with state wide friends that might have to be cut now.

Any ideas?!?! PLEASE!

I removed the jets and cleaned them. Nah the oil smells like oil, nice and fresh. I don't have a manual handy at this point. ummm maybe the float is at the right level? haha

I'm going to try and get it over to my bike guy to see what he has to say about it..I'm so lost and its freakin killin me

Did it run any different when you bypassed the fuel tank? How does it sound with the choke on? Is it good enough to rule out mechanical or electrical issues? You need to remember the choke circuit adds fuel, so if it will not run without the choke then you have a lack of fuel problem or a lean condition. I find it hard to believe that the pilot circuit and main circuit clogged at the same time but I guess anything is possible. I would think it would be more likely for you to have a major vacuum leak, such as where the carb mounts or at the slide cap. Did you check all the vent hoses? It will not run if air can't get into the bowl. Are you sure you have air flowing through all the passages in the carb when you blew it out? There are several small air bleed passages that are very hard to get clean if they are plugged.

This if just some of my first thoughts but it sounds to me like you may need to go through that carb again.

I don't know what all comes with the JD kit, I would call and ask them.

Did it run any different when you bypassed the fuel tank? How does it sound with the choke on? Is it good enough to rule out mechanical or electrical issues? You need to remember the choke circuit adds fuel, so if it will not run without the choke then you have a lack of fuel problem or a lean condition. I find it hard to believe that the pilot circuit and main circuit clogged at the same time but I guess anything is possible. I would think it would be more likely for you to have a major vacuum leak, such as where the carb mounts or at the slide cap. Did you check all the vent hoses? It will not run if air can't get into the bowl. Are you sure you have air flowing through all the passages in the carb when you blew it out? There are several small air bleed passages that are very hard to get clean if they are plugged.

This if just some of my first thoughts but it sounds to me like you may need to go through that carb again.

I don't know what all comes with the JD kit, I would call and ask them.

No it ran exactly the same way. Where the petcock vacuum line was, I had it pinched completely. As for anywhere else I don't know? I mean nothing changed between saturday and wednesday physically for it to stop working. It did sit with the seat off through a few rainstorms, but I had a rag stuffed in the airbox hole.

It did sit with the seat off through a few rainstorms, but I had a rag stuffed in the airbox hole.

I am trying really hard not to be a Richard Cranium but... Come on, you left it out in the rain with out the seat on. It's one thing to ride them in the rain but it's totally different to leave them sit partially dismantled in the rain. My guess is that's where the problem started. Did you see any evidence of water entering the carb? I would also be concerned with water in the crank case at this point.

Edited by kx450f63

I am trying really hard not to be a Richard Cranium but... Come on, you left it out in the rain with out the seat on. It's one thing to ride them in the rain but it's totally different to leave them sit partially dismantled in the rain. My guess is that's where the problem started. Did you see any evidence of water entering the carb? I would also be concerned with water in the crank case at this point.

Like I said, rag (oily) was stuffed in the top of the airbox, plus filter was on, plus to even get water in the carb you'd have to pour a bucket in there. Seat was off because it was sent off to seat concepts. Still, I've checked around and there was no standing water or anything like that.

I'm not responding just to contradict you. Every time I wash my bikes, which is just about every time we ride them and usually twice when we race, I either take the filter off and put the intake cover on or cover the filter with a bag. This is done to limit the chance of water entering the intake and inevitably bringing dirt with it. Even with those precautions from time to time I still find a drop or two of water in the intake boot. Most people don't think about it and don't look but if you start looking with a good lite source every time you remove the filter you may be surprised what you find in your intake boot and what your engine has been gulping.

Basically I am guessing your problem is in your carb. based on the info. you have provided.

I'm not responding just to contradict you. Every time I wash my bikes, which is just about every time we ride them and usually twice when we race, I either take the filter off and put the intake cover on or cover the filter with a bag. This is done to limit the chance of water entering the intake and inevitably bringing dirt with it. Even with those precautions from time to time I still find a drop or two of water in the intake boot. Most people don't think about it and don't look but if you start looking with a good lite source every time you remove the filter you may be surprised what you find in your intake boot and what your engine has been gulping.

Basically I am guessing your problem is in your carb. based on the info. you have provided.

Yeah I was thinking like you too at first. I checked it after each rain and it was always dry. I hope I find it to be the carb today after my bike guy re-looks over what I did.

A few other things just popped into mind. Does this bike have a TPS sensor and/or a typical hot start cable like the MX FCR carbs? If so check the TPS connector for corrosion, clean it and re-check and make sure the hot start plunger is operating properly.

I hate saying this, but i know you'll love to hear it...YOU ALL WERE RIGHT.

Damn thing WAS clogged. I thought I got it, but I didn't. She's running like a champ and there is now a fuel filter on it as well. Thanks guys ya'll freakin rock