Michigan riding area

Michigan

Me and a few riding buddies are looking for new single track riding area to explore. We are from Iowa looking for some good single track in michigan. We've explored most of the other surrounding states but haven't been to Michigan.

We hear there are some awesome areas in the UP to ride and want some first hand recommendations so we don't waste our time. We are all very experienced riders and can handle anything you can throw at us.

THanks,

Details on every trail in our System is here: http://www.vvmapping.com/miorv

Most of the trail descriptions include photos and video of the trail.

If you are looking for single track, in the lower peninsula look at Tomahawk and North Missaukee. There are a lot of others, those two are highlights.

In the UP, Moss Lake, Porterfield Lake and Bass Lake are somewhat grouped in the central UP; to the east there are several more with Sandtown and the Sandtown-Newberry-Brevort trail being worth your attention.

And don't forget Marquette! It's a drive but well worth it with awesome rocky, technical trails. Probably the best riding in Michigan. Call Nick at Zambone's cycle.

Not in the UP but you might consider Evart and Tomahawk B. A lot of the trails in the LP i've ridden are kinda boring, those two certainly aren't. When are you guys gonna ride here? I'll be at Evart saturday 3pm. I'd love to hear how our trails compare to the other states. Have fun.

Not in the UP but you might consider Evart and Tomahawk B. A lot of the trails in the LP i've ridden are kinda boring, those two certainly aren't. When are you guys gonna ride here? I'll be at Evart saturday 3pm. I'd love to hear how our trails compare to the other states. Have fun.

We were thinking sometime this fall we would come ride. We are just trying to nail down a location

This is some good information guys! Keep it up! :) fstbusa and I were doing some talking, looking at 2 TrackR's video and website, and reading some other threads on here and it sounds like Moss Lake would be the ticket for us!

We searched YouTube and there aren't too many video's of Moss Lake out there and the one's that I have seen look like it's very slow and easy to ride. I saw on one of the other Moss Lake threads on here some pretty impressive pictures of some very steep, rocky, and technical area's but the video's don't seem to show it that way at all.

Could anybody share some more detailed information about the trail, pictures, or video's with us that would help us out with Moss Lake. We are looking for a challenge!

Edited by petey383

I believe evart is tin cup right, lol. Tell me more about this Tomahawk...i keep seeing it pop up, never been, Like, where is it? Is it a single track like tin cup...better..worse??? Mostly sand, loam?!? Thanks in advance.

If so, I would say that trails worth a ride. Definitely fun, and keeps your attention...or you're gonna eat it. We ride the little o a lot too...but thats a 50", and if you are comin up for just one weekend....and you guys are pretty decent riders...skip Little O. I go up a lot, and if we just want a casual ride where we dont have to work too hard we go there. It's fun for what it is, but its one of those ones he mentioned can get a little repetitive.

I believe evart is tin cup right, lol. Tell me more about this Tomahawk...i keep seeing it pop up, never been, Like, where is it? Is it a single track like tin cup...better..worse??? Mostly sand, loam?!? Thanks in advance.

If so, I would say that trails worth a ride. Definitely fun, and keeps your attention...or you're gonna eat it. We ride the little o a lot too...but thats a 50", and if you are comin up for just one weekend....and you guys are pretty decent riders...skip Little O. I go up a lot, and if we just want a casual ride where we dont have to work too hard we go there. It's fun for what it is, but its one of those ones he mentioned can get a little repetitive.

Curious, are you saying Evart and Tin Cup are like one another, because I havn't done Tin Cup yet. If its like Evart then i'll put it on my list. On a related note, I did Long Lake trail just recently. Me and a fellow rider I met out there thought it was a lot like Evart, minus the rocks. I mean right off the batt it had a sandy hill climb calling my name from the parking lot. It had other rutted out sandy climbs that swallowed my wheels whole, I got hung up twice on my pipe and frame. It had a lot of sections with big ol nasty tree roots. I saw more broken bike parts on this trail then anywhere else. Number 135 you left your number plate in the woods lol. I enjoyed it.

Anyway about Tomahawk, I did all of the B loop, and about 1/4 C loop by mistake a month ago. Those two are motorcycle only. I'll just comment on B loop, this is what I remember. Its outside a small town called Wolverine, I-75 exit 301. Once you get in the area you'll realize its pretty hilly. Going down the dirt road I noticed some jagoff going like 50 away from the trailhead in his truck with KTMs, about running me off the road. I don't think he liked the trail, I figured it must be good lol. And no doubt B loop is. I went clockwise. Starts off flat whooped sandy, the usual. Then the hills come. And the word of the day is HILLS. There are some LONG hill climbs/decents, you'll climb and climb and climb, only to find out the hill gets even harder. There are sections where you'll be riding the side of a big hill. And just picture losing balance with nowhere to put your right/left foot down. Its really fun how it snakes up and down some of these hills. Definetly a well thought out trail. There are some drop offs to keep an eye out for. Its not a fast trail though, I was worried Id have to change my plug. Not much sand because the trail is all wooded. You'll have a thick overhead canopy, but still be able to see far into the woods. Of course there are some whoops, but I also noticed some small braking/acceleration bumps in and out tight corners. I don't see these small bumps often. As far as tree branches and down trees go, the trail was groomed very well. Its marked really well too. Sometimes I'll accidently go on a connector trail, but this trail is simple to navigate. I did take a wrong turn once, but with that I found a small stream of water that seemed to flow from the top of a hill, pretty neat. Overall if you enjoy doing hill climbs, and your bike likes to eat, its not too difficult. My opinion its about 7/10 in difficulty for michigan. Its much less tore up than other difficult trails, Evart is probably harder because of this, but Tomahawk B is almost twice the length, so factor that in. This trail is at the top of my list for a fall ride. I think it would be very beautiful while the leaves are changing.

Edited by Vaped

. I mean right off the batt it had a sandy hill climb calling my name from the parking lot. It had other rutted out sandy climbs that swallowed my wheels whole, I got hung up twice on my pipe and frame. It had a lot of sections with big ol nasty tree roots. I saw more broken bike parts on this trail then anywhere else.

Starts off flat whooped sandy, the usual. Then the hills come. And the word of the day is HILLS. There are some LONG hill climbs/decents, you'll climb and climb and climb, only to find out the hill gets even harder. There are sections where you'll be riding the side of a big hill. And just picture losing balance with nowhere to put your right/left foot down. Its really fun how it snakes up and down some of these hills. There are some drop offs to keep an eye out for.

Sounds like our type of riding. We have some pretty awesome hill climbs where we ride also. Sounds we have a few options to choose from.

Edited by fstbusa

We searched YouTube and there aren't too many video's of Moss Lake out there and the one's that I have seen look like it's very slow and easy to ride. I saw on one of the other Moss Lake threads on here some pretty impressive pictures of some very steep, rocky, and technical area's but the video's don't seem to show it that way at all.

Could anybody share some more detailed information about the trail, pictures, or video's with us that would help us out with Moss Lake. We are looking for a challenge!

Slow yes, easy no. It's not easy because it is VERY tight and you will be banging your bars every few minutes. Not sure if you found this one but check out this post of mine from a few years ago: Moss Lake Writeup - 2010

Edited by Pooley

Vaped, yea...tin cup is kinda like that. I mean its hard to tell in the 1 vid, but its a single track (lil wider at times imo), sandy hill climbs, variable terrain, etc.

Slow yes, easy no. It's not easy because it is VERY tight and you will be banging your bars every few minutes. Not sure if you found this one but check out this post of mine from a few years ago: Moss Lake Writeup - 2010

Yep! That was the one that had the really awesome pictures on the second page! Did you run across those areas that are in the pictures? Are there any good hill climbs? If you went again how much time would you spend there? If we end up going to Moss Lake we were trying to decide how much time would be needed there. Is it just the one 27 mile loop there or is there other riding that needs to be checked out too?

I think some of those pictures were something other than Moss Lake. Being that it is crammed into such a small area, there aren't big elevation changes. That being said, there are a lot of very short, somewhat steep climbs that come out of nowhere. It is just 27 miles, but I honestly didn't want to ride another mile once we hit the parking lot. It is an ass-kicker for 27 miles. If you like hill climbs and a slightly wider but nicely technical trail, the Tomahawk B loop as mentioned before is fantastic.

If you want REALLY technical in the UP check out Foreman Lake and Drummond Island. We rode Foreman Lake in 2009 and eventhough it is only 13 miles, it still took us almost 2 hours including breaks. It was almost totally 1st gear, heavy clutching riding from what I remember. It was the 3rd trail of the day so I was completely exhausted when we got there, but being fresh wouldn't have made much difference to me. I'm not the most proficient in terms of really technical stuff, partially because I'm only 5'9" and 180 lbs and can't touch the ground. In the really tight stuff throwing around a WR426 is a real challenge. Haven't been to Drummond since 2008 but if you plan your ride, with some insider knowledge of the individual trail segments, you can make it about as challenging as you want. Maybe PumpkinHumper can give some advice on Drummond. He was always our trail "guide" up there, finding some of the nastiest stuff Drummond could offer. For Drummond, if you were to camp in the big field next to the DNR lot at trail marker 13, all I can say is

:thumbsup: Edited by Pooley

My buddy rides Evart and said it's fun and challenging. I've done the Tomahawk loops, they are a good mix for sure. I'd also suggest those two areas.

if you were to camp in the big field next to the DNR lot at trail marker 13, all I can say is :blink:

&%$#@! is that thing? How many beers did it take you to get to sleep that night? LoL! :thumbsup:

My buddy rides Evart and said it's fun and challenging. I've done the Tomahawk loops, they are a good mix for sure. I'd also suggest those two areas.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Unfortunately it looks like if we were to go to Tomahawk it's a 10 plus hour drive from Northeast Iowa. Looks like the Moss Lake area in the UP is a little less than 8 hours if we cut up diagonally through Wisconsin.

Is there anything much further south in Michigan that would be worth checking out? Or is the Moss lake area still our best bet? If you had a secondary destination up in that area what would it be?

&%$#@! is that thing? How many beers did it take you to get to sleep that night? LoL! :thumbsup:

The first night camping (pre-riding) those little buggers are annoying as hell. After a day of riding at Drummond (with Pumpkinhumper leading), you could have 1000 of those birds and you wouldn't hear a single one.

I would hit Birch and the "Rock" before Tomahawk any day of the week.

Well.............As of right now if it's not raining, snowing, or freezing cold, we are making the trip up north October 25th through the 28th. The plan is to stay in Escanaba and ride Moss Lake and Bass Lake for sure and if there is time or we get bored we may try to hit Porterfield Lake up as well!

If the weather turns out to be crap we're still going riding but instead of going 7 hours North, we're going to head 7 hours south to Missouri and hopefully find some better weather.

If anyone has any helpful advice we would love to hear it!