Sign in to follow this  

Stator Diagnosis

On my recently completed bike I also rewound the lighting stator for higher output. Everything was working fine then my headlight bulb went bright and blew but my LED tail/brake light was still working. Then, after a few minutes, it stopped working as well. I tested the tail/brake lights and they still work fine. I tested the lighting stator and got right around 500 ohms which should be about right from what I understand. I then tested the stator with and without the voltage regulator and got the same results either way, right around 4.1 volts and no significant voltage (.1v) change with RPM's.

Please, does anybody have a clue as to what could be going on here? Did I short the winding when I rewound it? I don't think I did as the ohm reading is higher than stock so that normally indicates it isn't shorted, right? Could a cold solder joint cause this? I'm really stumped on this one. Any help or insight is appreciated!

I'm thinking if your winding is shorted you ohms value would be lower, as you are taking a short cut and bypassing some of the wiring. A poor solder joint could cause a higher resistance value too.

What are the chances you have shorted windings and a poor solder joint masking the ohms value?

What are the chances you have shorted windings and a poor solder joint masking the ohms value?

It is possible.

BTW, I really don't know why my thread was moved here when the issue is a not a bike specific one. Now it might get missed by someone that has had the same issue on a Honda, Yamaha, Husky, or whatever.

Edited by SS109

It is possible.

BTW, I really don't know why my thread was moved here when the issue is a not a bike specific one. Now it might get missed by someone that has had the same issue on a Honda, Yamaha, Husky, or whatever.

Probably because of the Kawis in your signature. But your thread was not bike specific for a reason, and your sig should not have been a deciding factor. :)

Probably because of the Kawis in your signature. But your thread was not bike specific for a reason, and your sig should not have been a deciding factor. :D

Crazy, huh? Well, I fixed the signature and I'm changing my avatar as well. :)

Did you check the voltage regulator? Perhaps the problem is not with the stator at all.

Went ahead and pulled it apart today. Testing directly at the coil it appears to be shorted so I already have begun rewinding it. I ordered some Super Corona Dope from MG Chemicals to seal the windings this time so this shouldn't happen again. One odd thing I did find though. It appears the lighting coil was touching the flywheel somehow. Not against the windings but against the core. I checked for anything rubbing after installation and there wasn't anything. Somehow it shifted after running it. Anyways, could this have caused the stator to short somehow? Well, I hope everything goes better this time!

statorrub.jpg

flywheelrub.jpg

Edited by SS109