New KTM 250XC Already Took a SHIT!

Please read my story because i really want to know if this has happened to any other 2012 KTM 2 stroke owners!!

My meticulously maintained 2012 KTM 250 XC with only 25 hrs on it took a shit on Sunday for reallll!!

The bike was runing like a raped ape, then when i was about 3/4 of the way through an ECEA Harescramble and the bike just stalled and when i went to start it, it would not fire up, obviosly. and the kickstarter waS Super hard to kick.

something blew up in the bottom end, we think a main bearing blew apart because now the piston will not budge, the crank is locked up. The piston is almost perfect except for a chip in it caused by a piece of whatever broke i the bottom end.

Bottom line, im pissed. I did everything right with the bike. The jetting is spot on, you can tell by the color of the piston that it wasnt running lean. I use Amsoil Dominator for the premix, quality stuff. Airfilter and oil changed after each race, and i use Two2cool to keep temperatures down.

There is no doubt in my mind this happened due to factory Defect, 100% KTM's fault.

So i contacted the dealer that sponsors me, they are going to split the case within a week, take pictures, and send them to KTM to see if they will do anything about it.

I swear i will NEVER buy a KTM again IF they dont deal with this problem, ill be on a YZ250. shit like this doesnt just happen on a bike with 25 hrs on it, especially when they are as well maintained as my bike. KTM sold me a bike with a defect.

Has this happened to any of you? im wondering if a recall is in order

That kind of logic only hurts you and really doesn't make sense. You can have an issue like that with ANYTHING. It is built my man. However, if you handle it with civility, you just may get some help from the dealer and/or KTM. My friends 11 350SXF injector went out with more hours than that and KTM stood behind it. It's all in the approach.

I CAN tell you one thing, Yamaha, or any of the other jap companies wouldn't do anything for you, that puppy would be yours, period.

• Like 6

I doubt this is an issue with a piston, ratio, or the like. Possibly jetting, but with only what info we are given, sounds like the OP should contact KTM about this.

20 hours on a piston? haha I agree, maybe running wide open the whole time with Shane Watts on it's back, but not with the average rider. Most get 50-100 hours. And, as he said, piston looked good.

I will say, how do you know something came from the bottom end before getting down there to see? I am curious to know what the dealer finds...

• Like 1

It could have been caused by a lot of things. Fact of life: 2 strokes sieze pistons and sometimes bottom ends. Could be as simple as you forgot to add oil to your premix.. Could be a factory defect.. So before going ballistic on KTM why not find out what really happened?.. And what KTM might do about it..

Edited by zilla
  • Like 6

That kind of logic only hurts you and really doesn't make sense. You can have an issue like that with ANYTHING. It is built my man. However, if you handle it with civility, you just may get some help from the dealer and/or KTM. My friends 11 350SXF injector went out with more hours than that and KTM stood behind it. It's all in the approach.

I CAN tell you one thing, Yamaha, or any of the other jap companies wouldn't do anything for you, that puppy would be yours, period.

x2 Shit happens, things break. Being civil can get you far when dealing with stuff like this.

Hopefully it will get fixed. We have had several ktms, and run at least 4 different ones out to over 600 hours on the stock bottom end, so I think your issues is very unusual, but that doesn't it mean it's impossible.

Note that the 2012's have been available for a year now, so there are alot of those bikes out there with 150-200 hrs on them already, and I sure haven't heard of any issues.

Good luck with it and please post the resolution up here.

Hey, shit happens. If its made by man its subject to breaking. Just contact KTM and if they take care of it then don't worry. I've rode Jap and they are no better than KTM. I also have a '12 250 XC and I'm not worried. I'm 43 and have owned alot of things in my time and I've had problems with just about everything. When its mass produced there will be problems.

Your expeting wrranty on a race bike??Ha Ha. I just dont get it. If you do get some kind of warranty you should feel blessed. Ive heard of KTM covering repairs on there bikes but I know of no RACE bikes comming with any warranty and Kaw,Yam,Hon,Suzy dont and weather you have had problems or not with jap biks it happens with all race bikes.

Few things... those stock bearings, they're really strong. They should be able to run without oil for quite long time with no problem and I can't imagine them just falling apart like you think they did.

If I were to guess on the problem, I'd have to say it overheated and ceased the top end. Wether that overheating was caused by improper jetting or oil mixture is a different story.

You also could have a needle bearing failure, I've seen that happen from manufacturer defect. However, usually when the needle bearings fail, it doesn't disrupt the crank in any way, you can usually still spin it no problem.

Let us know what hey find!

Edited by tye1138

My 06 RM 250 did basically what your XC did last winter in a HS race. It siezed the right side main bearing. I had been riding it for over a year and bought it used. I did determine that the bearing was probably hit in the center when installed. I heard a loud screaming noise off an on for several minutes. I thought it was the piston at first. The kick stater would not budge when it finally stalled. I still own the RM as well as a new 2012 250XC which does not have an hour on it yet. Did you hear any strange noises before the lockup?

Next week we should know what the dealer finds. For those of you wondering I run 50:1 premix with the amsoil dominator. Ktm recommends 60:1 so there is no lean issue here. I also use about 2/3 Premium gasoline and 1/3 Powermist race fuel.

As far as jetting, i have a JD Jet kit for the bike and i use the richer blue needle. The bike runs (...ran ? ) spot freakin on. Throttle response was crisp as hell and it pulls way harder on top than my 2010 250 XC. The jetting is very close to perect and when we took off the cylinder there were ZERO signs of any lean conditions.

as far as u people saying the piston needed to be changed ur crazy. The bike had a shit ton of compression, started first kick every time! and it hasnt EVER taken more than 1 kick on dead-engine holeshots (in second gear with clutch pulled).

There may be about 25 hours on the bike (generous estimate), but only 8 races. So that is only approximately 16 hours of hard racing, the rest of the time was for breaking it in and just a little bit of easy practicing. I use my 2010 for practicing.

BTW the piston and rings are almost perfect except for that chip in the piston caused by watever burst in the bottom end. If it werent for the chip i technically wouldnt even have to change the topend (although i would anyway just because its all taken apart already).

Im tellin u guys the top end is COMPLETELY A NON-ISSUE. Whatever happened occured in the bottom end and it was boom and done.

All of these reasons are why I KNOW i did nothing wrong to cause this. I am just about certain it was a factory Defect.

I wish i couldve split the case as well because im dieing to know what really happened, as of right now its all speculation. But, unfortionately my dealer said i will have a better chance of KTM dealing with this issue if i let the dealer take it all apart, so ill have to wait

I will be handleing this civily, im just saying IF KTM doesnt atleast help a little, then chances are i will not buy another KTM. I just can justify supporting a company that wont take responsibility for their own mistake. And a very expensive mistake might i add.

and to reply to ur other post i know that it is from the bottom end because its locked up down there. The cylinder is off and u cant move the piston at all, the crank wont turn.

Your expeting wrranty on a race bike??Ha Ha. I just dont get it. If you do get some kind of warranty you should feel blessed. Ive heard of KTM covering repairs on there bikes but I know of no RACE bikes comming with any warranty and Kaw,Yam,Hon,Suzy dont and weather you have had problems or not with jap biks it happens with all race bikes.

Yes i am expecting a warranty, and if not i would expect atleast a little help from KTM. i dont think im being out of line at all with that theory. Are you telling me i should just expect this to happen because its a "race bike"? i think thats bullshit, my 2010 KTM 250XC has probably 130 to a 150 hours on it, on its 3rd top end, and the main bearing still has NO PLAY and not bottom end issues what so ever.

If i should just be expecting this kind of thing to happen at 20-25 hrs, because its a Race bike, then maybe KTM shouldnt advertise "Ready 2 Race" on EVERYTHING