Sign in to follow this  

Which stabilizer?

I have a 2001 CR250 that I race XC with and want to know thoughts and opinions on stabilizers? I have never rode a bike with an aftermarket stabilizer and want to know if they are worth the money? I have no problem spending money on mods that will make a difference in how my bike performs.

I recently installed a Fastway system 3 on my '12 KTM 250 XCF-W and it made all of the difference in the world. Attack ruts with way more speed and confidence, ride longer and faster without arm pump, high speed deflections are reduced. Definately well worth the money. The install took about 15 minutes and it was a perfect fit.

i have a gpr v4...but honestly i would get a scotts if i did it again.

i have a gpr v4...but honestly i would get a scotts if i did it again.

I have a GPR V4, I really like it, but I've never ridden a bike with a Scotts. What would make you choose Scotts over GPR?

I have a GPR V4, I really like it, but I've never ridden a bike with a Scotts. What would make you choose Scotts over GPR?

High speed and low speed adjustments, cheaper, the GPR has already started leaking...It does its job well I just think the scotts is a better product.

My GPR has been bullet proof and their customers services is fantastic. However, the dampening stops (goes to 0 dampening) as you get further out towards the end of the steering lock, so in corners that you want to knife down, or in tight switch backs, you can get an odd feeling of "off and on" dampening. I get it sometimes in longer semi fast corners and it can be a little disconcerting. I'm not 100% sure if the Scotts dampens all the way to the steering lock, but if it does, that could be a benefit.

Also, the GPR dampens both ways, out and back to center. I'm not sure if I even notice it to be honest and when the front gets thrown side ways at speed I never think "gosh that took a lot of effort to bring back to center". But, if you ride a GPR and can't stand that feature, the Scotts doesn't do it. It dampens out, and has 0 dampening back to center.

Other than that, I'd say preference, price, etc.

I rode a buddies bike who had a Scott's and it was amazing. If I had the money I'd buy one! Before spending the money though ride someones bike who has one and make sure that you like it.

I had both the Scott's and the GPR. I liked both of them equally well. For me... what seperated the two brands was service. My Scott's was bolder and started blowing seals left and right. I started buying the re-build kits because at Scott's you have to first wait for it to arrive in the mail, then it waits 10 days before they even fix it and then you wait to get it back!? It takes an entire 15 mins to do a re-build. Then my GPR 4 blew its seals on a different race bike :), I was in the middle of the season, I sent the GPR in for repair on a Monday....it was fricken back in my hands the following Monday! That's all I needed! GPR for me is the way to go!

I have never ridden a bike with a Scott's but I have always heard good things about their units. I have a GPR 4 on my 2012 KTM 300 XC and all I can say is it makes a world of difference and I would feel lost without it, their service is top notch as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either unit.

Edited by Liquis

Dont get me wrong i love my GPR...there is nothing really wrong with it. But i wish it had some other features.

My GPR has been bullet proof and their customers services is fantastic. However, the dampening stops (goes to 0 dampening) as you get further out towards the end of the steering lock, so in corners that you want to knife down, or in tight switch backs, you can get an odd feeling of "off and on" dampening. I get it sometimes in longer semi fast corners and it can be a little disconcerting. I'm not 100% sure if the Scotts dampens all the way to the steering lock, but if it does, that could be a benefit.

Also, the GPR dampens both ways, out and back to center. I'm not sure if I even notice it to be honest and when the front gets thrown side ways at speed I never think "gosh that took a lot of effort to bring back to center". But, if you ride a GPR and can't stand that feature, the Scotts doesn't do it. It dampens out, and has 0 dampening back to center.

Other than that, I'd say preference, price, etc.

Scotts has a road dampener that dampens both ways. Scotts also has an angle of dampen adjustments and not to bar stops.

• Like 1

Every person I know that has a GPR stabalizer it leaks, especially if you ride in the winter. Check out BRP for some sano mounting options with the Scotts. My Scotts has been very durable.

BRP is the place to check out for mounting a Scott's set up.I have a Scott's on my present bike,2012 250sx,and in my opinion it's the best out there,have ran 3 other brand's in the past with minamal problem's.I just prefer the feel of the Scott's unit sub-mounted.I will say that any stabilizer is better than no stabilizer,Im a off road,Hare Scrambles racer and they really help me alot.....I love mine!!!

I've ridden thousands, and thousands of miles without a stabilizer and do just fine. I never really found them to be necessary.

I've ridden thousands, and thousands of miles without a stabilizer and do just fine. I never really found them to be necessary.

Good for you! try and ride a little out of your comfort zone and you might change your mind.

Stabilizers are a proven neccessity in certain situations, everyone from clubman to pro riders can benefit from them.

Good for you! try and ride a little out of your comfort zone and you might change your mind.

Stabilizers are a proven neccessity in certain situations, everyone from clubman to pro riders can benefit from them.

Don't be a dick! You have no idea where I ride, and no they have never been "a proven necessity". If you like them, good for you, I however do not.