All of a sudden won't start! Please help....

Another update.......still haven't had time to tackle the carb, that was going to be my next move but.....

I started smelling gas in the garage, look at the bike and the petcock is leaking gas (this is all of a sudden after I added some Sta-bil to the tank!) So could my whole issue be with the petcock? Petcock not feeding fuel to carb? Bike starting on gas still in carb? But doesn't explain why it won't idle....sort of thinking out loud here.......thoughts?

Ok, I can do an oil change once I figure this out....can the petcock be what my problem has been from the beginning? The not idling part has me confused though, and also why the petcock just all of a sudden started to leak.......ugh this is frustrating!

Do I replace the petcock? Or do i just rebuild it? And hope this fixes the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another update....new petcock in, no more leaking! Now tackling the carb......got the front and back clamps off, is there any easy trick to getting the carb out? I can get most of the front out of the rubber but that is as far as I can get.

Advice please ? thanks!

Edited by spower

hey man....sorry to hear about your misfortune

I experienced the exact same phenomena with my SM following a 3 month hiatus from the moto after fracturing a vertebrae.....took everything apart, everything worked, couldn't figure it out. then i read that this happens sometimes as a result of diminished compression (at least instantaneously). I poured a capfull of the 5w40 rotella synthetic, that i use in the crankcase, down the spark plug hole and into the compression chamber. i put it all back together, cranked it a few times and presto! smoked like a freight train until the oil burned off but it is running like new again.

I hope this works for you and that my reply hasn't come too late.

Cheers..

It will start and idle with choke on.......I just finally got the carb out (hope I can get it back in)......as soon as I look at the jets I will know if the carb is the prob or not, except I can't get the screws out.........ugh!! does it ever end???

Edited by spower

You probably should just replace the pilot jet while you're in there. It's got a tiny hole and they can be difficult to clean or even see the obstruction.

Good idea except I am nowhere near a bike shop to pick one up. I live way out in BFE. If I can get the freakin screws off then I will know better what the situation is.