Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Need advice on 3 day trip for novice

just got word that i can borrow a friends camper for a couple days so im looking for a good destination for riding.

my girlfriend is a novice and i want her to have fun before grad school starts.... so where is a good place to venture to that has easier trails/graded roads to ride on.

my main requests are cool/good views and places to visit (i enjoy the exploring new places aspect). preferably south of i70 since i live in greeley and that is the harder place to do day trips to.

i was thinking taylor park. ive seen picture of places like american basin and engineer pass that looked amazing. but keep in mind steep and rocky makes for a unhappy lady.

also not opposed to "1 night here 1 night there" if there not to far apart. since this will probly be the only far away trip this year, i would like to see as much as i can.

thanks ahead of time for all the help.

PS if there are other cool things near by like a town or lake , i could explore first and she could keep busy with the dog for a bit... :)

It sounds like the Buena Vista/Fourmile area would serve you well. Then if you decide to take it up a notch from there, you could go over Cottonwood Pass & be at Taylor Park pretty easily.

Have fun!

I agree, Buena Vista offers some amazing sunsets, really easy jeep trails and a short single track. The river is close and if you are ok with a campground look for Ruby mountain, It is at a trail head and next to the river. It is south of 285. There are a few sandy sections but just tell her to lean back. haha

Thanks for the advice. Look like we will do as suggested and start in Buena Vista.

Any more info on that camp site or others. I wanted to be off by ourselves, but right near the riverr would be pretty nice.

Also, where can I find some good trail maps. I'll go to trailsource.com and stay the trail, are there any others? no GPS yet unfortunately.

Thanks again

There are some good maps here: http://www.garna.org/friends-of-fourmile.htm

Trails Illustrated also has one, but I've found that printing the one above & keeping it in my pocket works great for that area.

It seems like there were some nice spots by the water on 307 & 308. It's a dry year, so that creek may be pretty small now.

taylor park would have all the seclusion you are looking for along with DAYS of the kind of riding you are asking for and also the scenic views. I just got back from a week there.

Thanks everyone for the insight. We ended up in Buena Vista for the 3 days. We camped at Ruby Mountain and off 308/307. Deff. liked the woodsier feel of 308/307 area. There were also tons of nice spots not near any water. The trails were perfect for her also. I would absolutely go back if I weren't so eager to see every other part of Colorado. we lost alot of time lolly-gagging around so we didnt see all the trails. alos would have liked to hit the white water. But thats what you get when you only have 3-4 days.

Taylor Park or Alpine Loop next time I think.

How difficult is Alpine Loop?

P.S. tchancey's map link was by far the best to go by. Thanks

Edited by smarcis11

Thanks everyone for the insight. We ended up in Buena Vista for the 3 days. We camped at Ruby Mountain and off 308/307. Deff. liked the woodsier feel of 308/307 area. There were also tons of nice spots not near any water. The trails were perfect for her also. I would absolutely go back if I weren't so eager to see every other part of Colorado. we lost alot of time lolly-gagging around so we didnt see all the trails. alos would have liked to hit the white water. But thats what you get when you only have 3-4 days.

Taylor Park or Alpine Loop next time I think.

How difficult is Alpine Loop?

P.S. tchancey's map link was by far the best to go by. Thanks

Alpine loop is not good for the GF. Lots of better choices.

You may be thinking Alpine Trail. Alpine Loop o.k., Alpine Trail bad.