2006 KX450f?

The stock 06 piston flexes, so the wrist pin is known to gall against he rod's small end bearing surface and snap.

If you think the stock piston is still in that engine after 80 normal track hours, you should budget for a new piston (Wiseco, JE or CP) kit. Also a new timing chain.

If the old wrist pin is badly galled, then you really should budget to replace the rod, because the rod small end might be damaged. But change the rod and might as well change the crank and main bearings. It gets expensive.

The stock 06 throttle response is quite abrupt, and often over powers the rider when tackling corners. This is because of the light crank, the head, cams and ignition are all designed for maximum response over a wide rev range (the whole rev range).

Stock 06 also has pretty harsh jarring forks and the stock rear suspension bucks and wallows. Fixed with 08 or later forks and the '11 linkage and a decent shock re-valve.

With good suspension and 22 triples, and careful setup, it's a great handling 450. I narrowed the radiators more than a cm per side and it's much nicer.

Every year Kawi made reliability improvements to the engine, but the every year the bike has become heavier, and the 06 is the lightest KX450F by a substantial margin.

Carbies can cause troubles, but so can EFI.

If you are not into fixing stuff, and want to ride once a week or two, and can afford a 2010 or later KX450F, then get one for minimal issues.

Seems that any brand 2012 or later bike is excellent for reliability and performance.

Seems like the 2013 KX250F is a very nice bike!

Edited by numroe
  • Like 2

i bought one and i use it for woods riding and its got loads of power but i feel i need that fifth gear its really being held back with only 4 gears, it always feels like im running the bike hard to keep up with my friend on his crf 450r, i dont race so i dont know how it is for that, just last week i snapped of my kick starter because it was so hard to kick but i dont think thats a problem with all of them just mine, i have no idea how many hours is on mine, they way we ride around here you dont need to rebuild that often we just ride in the dirt roads that logging trucks haul wood on, i cant really afford to rebuild a lot because im 15 and i have no job, but other then that the bike seems reliable!

• 1 month later...

My 06 has 180 hours and is running strong. Top end was rebuilt with a std Wisecoe piston at 40 hours. One exhaust valve moved at 150 hours, so I adjusted it anbd it has been fine since. I'm doing another top end this winter, and will check to lower to make sure everything is still nice and tight.

I agree that a 5th gear would be nice when riding fire roads, and big open trails. I put a 47 tooth sprocket on my bike to lower the revs a bit at high speed, and I like how the bike rides a lot more now.

• 2 weeks later...

5th gear?? Unless your looking to launch to the moon...this bike doesnt need a 5th gear. I love the 06 450. Numroe is dead on about weak piston. First order of business would be fresh top end with either a wiseco prolite or vertex ..Im coming off a first gen KX 250F ...im so thankful I did trade up to 06 450. So dependable with minimal issues ...good riding to you. ?

• Like 1