Sign in to follow this  

Move kickstart lever by hand, normal?

Recently traded a 450 to get the KXF. Seems very easy to kick, and I can move the lever all the way down to the peg by hand. I couldn't do this on my 450 and I'm wondering if this is normal for these 250s? The bike also seems to be low on power, but that could be because I rode the 450 for so long. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

my 09 is the same way, i can push it down by hand, and it does start very easy. but mine is not down on power, even with a new top end and valves its like that. id say its normal.

Ok, thanks Gnarly for the fast reply! Good to know that's normal. The bike is fast, it just seems like the pull isn't strong. I don't have a friend with a 250f to compare it to, they all have 400's and up. I just want to chaulk it up and say it's because I rode a 450.

Ok, thanks Gnarly for the fast reply! Good to know that's normal. The bike is fast, it just seems like the pull isn't strong. I don't have a friend with a 250f to compare it to, they all have 400's and up. I just want to chaulk it up and say it's because I rode a 450.

Could pretty easily rule out faulty piston/rings with a compression test, I always say that peace of mind is better than trying to convince yourself that everything is okay when you suspect something is wrong. Just saying...

its normal. I have actually started my old 07' by hand before

For sure Race250r. Thanks for the heads up. That will be on my list of to do's. I really enjoy the bike and the handling is great! (Only one ride on it so far).

Right on brother, just adding my two cents. Enjoy the 250F! I started my bike by hand but it was after 80 hours on a stock piston, and it was still not "easy" to start that way. It shouldn't be easy to turn it over by hand, it should take some force (especially at TDC). Have fun and good luck.

Chris

After a bunch of foot bruising 2 strokes, I thought there was something amiss on mine too. But it's normal I found. Manual on my '09 lists a maximum compression reading of 102psi after 5 kicks on a warm motor. Can see where it feels mushy compared to the 160+psi of a 2 stroke. :)

I think it has a lot to do (if not entirely) that the 09+ have the auto decompressor on the exhaust cam. On the FI bikes especially if you're at TDC and kick it hard it will not want to start but if you kick it nice slow and fluidly from TDC it will fire right up. Weird stuff but i'll take it. To bad I kick it like a bat out of hell if I go down in a moto instead of slowly haha.

Great info, thanks for the replies! I feel a lot better now. Mine is a 06 btw and after 2 rides I really love the bike! I'm getting the feeling of how to use the 250's power and what not. Handling seems to be light years above my old CRF.

pretty sure all the years had auto decompression, mine, even with a new high comp piston and new valves is pushable by hand.

yeah my 07 and 10 have auto decompression. and on both bikes without the auto decompression its rough but i can get it down by hand. with it in im sure if i tryed i could start them with my hand.

Edited by cygrace74