2004 Polini x3

Hi, we are ready to make the jump from the Honda XR50 to a full racing two stroke. I have been watching the adds and always a KTM listed. This Polini came up close to my place here in San Diego. So a couple question, 1st is there any shop support anywhere? and also part support.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't touch a polini right now. Their support network was troubled last I heard. There is only so many people that supply the parts and from what I hear they were/are hard to come by. If you want to race and have support at national races Cobra and/or KTM are your only choices.

Look at any of the big nationals and see what brands are present. That will narrow down your choices.

?

Don't go with an 04 if you really want a blue bike, 07 and newer are the best. I've ran two 07 Polinis between my 6 and 8 yo for almost two years now, and like mentioned...their support is close to non-existant, SPI-parts and Rockriver are the two main distributors. I recently ordered a jug & piston kit with a crank and it took almost a month to get it, it seems they are limiting their inventory to a bare minimun. Its sad to say they are becoming a dying breed in the U.S., but I still like them.. when these bike are tuned and fresh they can run with the orange and yellow bikes... on the other hand when the support is not there I got to move on... so earlier this year I went with a KTM with the older boy but the younger boy still rides the polini and loves it! So I guess I will have to tough it out a little longer. ?

3 years ago I woulda thought about a polini. They are great bikes and were very competitive as mentioned above.

You used to see a few in all the national races in the mix. Now? Not so much. It is sad, the economy tanked and with it went Polini and LEM - both very good bikes with little support now. I don't think LEM parts are as hard to come by but no where near their hayday.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an x1 that I'm getting ready to sell. Youngest is on a 65 now. Spi is about the only place I know to get parts. The good: ours has been very reliable and for the most part just keeps ripping. The bad: only online parts, which isn't all bad. Not many guides or forum info if to learn from. Louie from spi is a good resource.