Sign in to follow this  

04 KDX200 scotts steering damper

I had a friend install a used scotts damper on my bike and I was wondering if anyone else here that had one on there KDX could look at this to see if it was installed correctly. It is upside down, which I read was ok but I just wanted some reassurance before taking it out for a ride. Also was curious about the settings others might be using for single track trail riding (roots & rocks no sand).

Thanks!

011.jpg

Can't see from the photo what is going on with the actual mounting of yours. But this is how it's supposed to be done.. http://www.scottsper...litrack/192.pdf

And how to adjust it (scroll down).. http://www.scottsper...litrack/257.pdf

Thanks.

Yeah, they mention in the pdf it may be installed reversed but I have never seen it done on a KDX and just wanted to make sure.

I had a friend install a used scotts damper on my bike and I was wondering if anyone else here that had one on there KDX could look at this to see if it was installed correctly. It is upside down, which I read was ok but I just wanted some reassurance before taking it out for a ride. Also was curious about the settings others might be using for single track trail riding (roots & rocks no sand).

Thanks!

011.jpg

Yes, the damper being upside down is no problem and is required when running certain 7/8 bars. Now, It LOOKS like you are running 7/8 bars without the cross bar attached. If this is the case this is a BIG issue as the bars are not strong enough to run without the cross bar and you are running the risk of major injury and loss of life without it.. If the bar is not tall enough to run with the damper then you will have to buy a taller handlebar with more clearance or convert to a 1 1/8 bar system. Again, I can not stress enough how dangerous it is to run the smaller diameter handlebars with no cross bar attached!

Edited by Eric@ScottsPerformance

regarding the bar-brace, you may be able to use the original bar brace with careful bending so it clears the damper. I've done this - the main thing is you want to make sure it is a large radius bend (bowed) so you don't create stress risers - then you can scoot the clamps slightly inboard a bit to make up for the reduced length. If you do it carefully the brace will be just as strong other than the reduction due to the new bowed force vectors, but it will work fine. Renthal did or does still make a bar with the brace bowed to clear the damper, and I'd bet your salary that they bend it cold too.

Yes, the damper being upside down is no problem and is required when running certain 7/8 bars. Now, It LOOKS like you are running 7/8 bars without the cross bar attached. If this is the case this is a BIG issue as the bars are not strong enough to run without the cross bar and you are running the risk of major injury and loss of life without it.. If the bar is not tall enough to run with the damper then you will have to buy a taller handlebar with more clearance or convert to a 1 1/8 bar system. Again, I can not stress enough how dangerous it is to run the smaller diameter handlebars with no cross bar attached!

Great thanks Eric,

No, the bar was taken off for instillation. I'm going to put the bar back on but I have to cut the pad first (its super tight but just makes it).

I should have posted this picture as well:

002.jpg

• Like 1