Sign in to follow this  

Power Valve OUTER spring options for KTM XCW 300

The KTM XCW 300 comes with 3 inner spring options...Green, Yellow and Red...(There's also a White and Blue spring option)...

I currently use the RED spring with the adjuster backed out counter clockwise the whole way...

According to this article there is also 3 options available for the OUTER spring....

http://www.e-dirt.co.za/site/forum_posts.asp?TID=28435&title=clear-up-some-ktm-power-valve-spring-questions

I'm wondering which OUTER spring the 2011 XCW 300 came with?

Outer springs:

1.8mm thick, 65mm length, 54637072000

1.9mm thick, 65mm length, 54837069000

2.0mm thick, 65mm length, 54637072100

I'l like to go with an earlier opening of the Power Valve but am wondering what the stock OUTER spring is???

Stock is supposed to open at 5500RPM...From the list above the 1.8mm would give the earliest opening but what one is stock??

Anybody know??? Thanks.

My outer spring is white and is 2mm. Iam sure its stock. Do they cost much? Id just buy the two i didnt have and try :thumbsup: but the 1.8 mm must be what you are looking for..

According to two different parts finders

54637072100 is no longer available and has been superseded by

54837069000 (Which is listed as adjuster spring 2003??) cost is $2.22 (I'm wondering if this is stock?)

54637072000 costs $8.60 a big price disparity...

I'm wondering still what came in my 2011 XCW-300? I don't want to wind up buying what's already installed...

OK...I found it....54837069000 is the stock spring according to the OEM Parts finder at KTM-PARTS.COM...

So it looks like I do indeed want the 54637072000 which should open my PV earlier...

I got the spring and installed and went riding with it yesterday...Best $9 (plus $5 shipping) I ever spent...

I have already been using the inner red spring dialed all the way out...

I installed this outer spring (1.8 mm vs. stock 1.9 mm) and now my power valve starts to open earlier (I'd guess 1000 rpm earlier)...

And since I had my red spring ajusted to have the PV fully open 100 percent open sooner this also smoothed out the hit by effectively shifting the

entire powervalve transition downward in the RPM band rather than just lowering the 100 percent open transition earlier...For me and my type of riding (Open desert) this

was a BIG improvement and I now have the 2 stroke characteristics back that I wanted...

I got the spring and installed and went riding with it yesterday...Best $9 (plus $5 shipping) I ever spent...

I have already been using the inner red spring dialed all the way out...

I installed this outer spring (1.8 mm vs. stock 1.9 mm) and now my power valve starts to open earlier (I'd guess 1000 rpm earlier)...

And since I had my red spring ajusted to have the PV fully open 100 percent open sooner this also smoothed out the hit by effectively shifting the

entire powervalve transition downward in the RPM band rather than just lowering the 100 percent open transition earlier...For me and my type of riding (Open desert) this

was a BIG improvement and I now have the 2 stroke characteristics back that I wanted...

I am about to try this on my 97 250sx. I am hoping everything comes together. Where can I buy the green, yellow, red springs? I can't seem to find them in parts diagrams...

I am about to try this on my 97 250sx. I am hoping everything comes together. Where can I buy the green, yellow, red springs? I can't seem to find them in parts diagrams...

I get most of my stuff online from here...  http://www.ktm-parts.com/

for 2015 the 250 and 300 powervalve was supposedly changed to start opening around 5400 rpm's down 200 rpms form 5600.  But on the parts finder it still shows the outer spring is the same so I do not know how they did it?  I will say my 15 300 has better low end power than my 13 did.

I get most of my stuff online from here...  http://www.ktm-parts.com/

Thanks man, I use rocky mountain atv most the time. I was more looking to find those actual part numbers. I just went in and picked a 2011 250sx in the oem parts finder and the yellow spring matches the stock spring on the 1997 parts diagram. I am going to assume then that the green and red springs will work just find in my pv. 

I am pretty excited to test it out. I should probably put a new rear wheel on before hand.  :thinking:

for 2015 the 250 and 300 powervalve was supposedly changed to start opening around 5400 rpm's down 200 rpms form 5600.  But on the parts finder it still shows the outer spring is the same so I do not know how they did it?  I will say my 15 300 has better low end power than my 13 did.

Is the spring guide and o-rings the same part #'s? Maybe it has to do changes to the actuating mechanism...

I am so jealous of your bikes holy crap