1994 kdx 200 fork options

im new here so here it goes. just bought a running 1994 kdx 200 for $100. the fork seals are shot and im worried i wont be happy with stock springs. is there a way to make these forks feel more like mx forks without changing the front end? will certain years of kx forks fit my triple clamps since theyre already usd? i think im a bit heavy for this bike at 270lbs. any advice would be great.

At 270, you are too heavy for about every trail or MX bike. ALL of them would need stiffer springs. Look for Race Tech 3647 springs for your forks or get a more recent KX front end. Those clamps are not going to hold anything from 1991 and newer. READ, READ and READ about the steering stem swap required.

.48 Kg/mm rate springs are made for the stock forks. Unless you swap to a KX front end that you can then go buy .52's for, then you won't have the correct rate springs, but .48 is a lot better than the stock .30 rate springs.

FRSP 364748 RT FRK SPR 35.8x472mm .48kg 472 35.8 290 0.48 4.71 26.9 $114.99 Add to Cart

A fork swap is a very viable option and very common on the KDX, but as noted, you can replace springs and re-valve more cheaply in most cases. A front end swap is one of those things you should do when you find a really good deal on a nice set of 43mm or larger mx forks. That said, you will never get externally adjustable rebound on the stock KDX forks without doing a swap, and they will always have a considerable amount of flex. If you go the route of working on your stockers, the first step would be getting correct springs. At 270, you are going to need springs front and rear. As mentioned above, you won't quite get to what you really need on those forks, but you can make a vast improvement.

i have a 99 yz 250 with stock suspension works great for me but i dont jump much or race just trail ride. is there any way to get close to that with replacement springs and possibly revalving or will they always be softer feeling? and is there a mx rear shock that is a direct bolt in?

The YZ has valving for MX so in stock form it would feel stiffer. Remember, the KDX was specifically designed as a trail bike so the factory valving is setup with a softer bias vs an MX bike. If you are just easy trail riding or doing doing slow technical stuff I think you would probably do fine with the .48 springs from Race Tech and the stock valving. Of course, you could have the valving changed to firm it up a bit as well. Anyways, even with the .48 springs and stiffer valving, if you are getting more than a couple feet of air when jumping then you might need to step up to MX forks.

Sorry but there is no direct MX shock that interchanges with the KDX's. Besides, the KDX is a good shock. With a proper rate spring and in good working order it will do whatever you need it to do.

Edited by SS109

thanks that the info i was looking for. so i found a guy parting out a 1995 yz250 would these forks be worth the effort? would it be the same about all the other swaps ive been reading? read one post about having to enlarging the hole in the yz triples to the kdx stem would fit? with everything except controls, fender and tire, rim is included, what would it be worth?

thanks that the info i was looking for. so i found a guy parting out a 1995 yz250 would these forks be worth the effort? would it be the same about all the other swaps ive been reading? read one post about having to enlarging the hole in the yz triples to the kdx stem would fit? with everything except controls, fender and tire, rim is included, what would it be worth?

That's the setup I have on my KDX. Well, close. 93 yz250 forks and 95 yz250 upper triple. The kdx stem pressed right into the lower, and the 95 upper triple just needed a thin shim to mate up with the KDX stem. It was an easy conversion, and I have found the 43mm KYB's to be very versatile.

Well, i got mine for free. That was a very good price! depending on whether the forks need new seals and/or bushings, the price could very. If you can't get the whole front end for about $150 or so I'd just wait for something else to come along. If it's all there with a good tire and such, maybe 200? I just used a piece of sheet metal bent so that it slid between the upper triple and the stem. Thinking back on it, I think the shop that pressed the KDX stem into the yz lower triple may have had to turn the hole in the YZ lower triple out a few thousandths.

Edited by juliend