Sign in to follow this  

'nother smoker

I rode an 82 dual sport model not too long ago, it made good power but was geared too high. Fixed it for my brother-in-law. I had to replace the flywheel key - stripped. I also had trouble with the floats flooding it out.

I been kicking that bitch for 2 hours now. Got spark but plug keeps getting wet. Cleaned carb. Got one or two little sputters, thats it. The place I got it from had it outside, no cover and no carb side engine cover so the carb was out in the weather. Don't know if there's water in there or what.

Edited by Jeekinz

I blew all the passages out, even just tried some starting fluid. Also pulled the flywheel in case the key sheared off like gsa mentioned. Still no go. IDK what coil is on there, if it's 6 or 12 volt. It doesn't look like it was for the bike. With an ohm meter hooked up I get 0.5 between the small wire and ground; 8.4 between the spark plug wire and ground; 8.9 between the spark plug wire and small wire. I get little blue spark from it cycling the engine with the plug out. I think a coil is my next step. Cleaned the points and can visually see them opening and closing.

Hey, does that carb bowl have an externally accessible main jet? If so, there's an o-ring where the jet needle seats. If that o-ring is gone, it will flood every time.

this hapened to me when working on old bikes. I would push start them and they would fire up but s*!t loat of smoke would fill half block lol

Hey, does that carb bowl have an externally accessible main jet? If so, there's an o-ring where the jet needle seats. If that o-ring is gone, it will flood every time.

Nah, normal main jet. I think I was testing with a 12v coil. Got an oem coming.

It runs!

Slapped the new coil in and she fired right up. I read that a 12v coil will spark, just have a weak spark. I have a chain and other things coming, just need to sort out some fenders.

Bike is basically done except for the fenders. I Cut a KX fender in half and wire tied it temporarily. I'm going to paint it like a KX so I have to figure out some white fenders. Got $220 into it including the cost of the bike. Not too bad, starts first kick. haha

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

• Like 2

What a beast ! thats the bike you let your poor friend ride. when his bike is broke. or to tear up the back yard with. nice find. plus its got a Renthal bar pad, so its got to fast right.

Edited by Hondude450