Per the Z400 experts, the rod is actually 2mm shorter than stock (105 vs 107mm).

The increase stroke comes from the pin location. In addition to increased displacement, the piston has increased leverage on the crank resulting in more torque, or so I have read.

Ok so the rod is shorter, this makes sense to me now. I always see in the stores, (+4mm). Now I get it, more stroke, kinda the way I always imagined it to be.

Might have to do this soon..[emoji106]

Thanks ohio

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, HeavyRotation said:
On 5/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, Spektrum84 said:
Bringing the DRZ to its first dualsport rally and needed some place to keep tools, pocket items, and snacks. Ordered a Wolfman enduro tank bag and peak tail bag. Also picked up a new chain guard/slider for the swing arm and countershaft sprocket washer. Going to do a bit of preventative maintenance before putting on the trailer and heading out.

What rally?

SLAP

In order to make room for more projects, I'm selling Betsy :(

Betsy got this whole drz craze started. She's been an amazing bike and I'm gonna miss her a lot.

I put on a d606 rear and mt21 front for my buddy who's buying it. My knuckles are bloody from changing the rear......classic Betsy.

IMG_20180512_182405.jpg

• Like 4

I rode mine and think I've figured out a few what/why's.
Why now after almost 600 miles does my shaved seat hurt my butt.
Consider- I bought the bike in late summer early fall. I wore long underwear or lined gear for most of those miles. Extra padding! Now I'm not. Ditto as to why now I notice exhaust heat.
Brilliant.
I also think my bog issue that just started after approx 200 miles is weather related too.
My California tank, now needs a vent[emoji9]. So I uncapped emissions nipple, rigged up a vent line. I like my white DRZ to much to use the stock tank.
Got to save some money for a seat concepts low, I guess.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:11 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Per the Z400 experts, the rod is actually 2mm shorter than stock (105 vs 107mm).
The increase stroke comes from the pin location. In addition to increased displacement, the piston has increased leverage on the crank resulting in more torque, or so I have read.

Yes, the longer lever is responsible for the torque increase.

Peak combustion pressure is falling by the time the crank is coming up on 70 degrees. Exhaust valve starts opening not long after.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Down side to a super trick handmade aluminum fuel tank from Italy? It gets hot! Hot fuel is not good for power or economy.

It can help emissions. :p

I had contemplated black for my latent 250 RE, and decided it's not such a good idea for the same reason. :(

Ok guys bear with me, I want to get the stroker kit. Already have Athena BB, got a couple questions..

1: Says can be used with stock piston. How does this increase displacement? Stock displacement is 398cc, (424cc) is what HotRod claims. Same piston, I don't understand this, where does 26cc come from ?

2: If stock piston can be used, I'm assuming my Athena BB will also work with stroker crank. Am I right about this ?

3: Not important, but bothers me...Full stroker kit with CW 434 BB says 462cc, 28cc difference.

Stock piston 398cc with stroker kit says 424cc, 26cc difference. That makes 2cc's unallocated for as far as I'm concerned. Am I missing something here ?..Screenshot_2018-05-13-19-52-43.png

• Like 1

The distance of the big end of the rod from the crank center describes piston travel. The piston would hit the head if you made the stroke longer and didn't reduce the length of the rod. Or, you could shorten the piston.

Or, you could raise the cylinger, but you must do one of the three, or a combination.

• Like 2

Ok guys bear with me, I want to get the stroker kit. Already have Athena BB, got a couple questions..

1: Says can be used with stock piston. How does this increase displacement? Stock displacement is 398cc, (424cc) is what HotRod claims. Same piston, I don't understand this, where does 26cc come from ?

2: If stock piston can be used, I'm assuming my Athena BB will also work with stroker crank. Am I right about this ?

3: Not important, but bothers me...Full stroker kit with CW 434 BB says 462cc, 28cc difference.

Stock piston 398cc with stroker kit says 424cc, 26cc difference. That makes 2cc's unallocated for as far as I'm concerned. Am I missing something here ?..Screenshot_2018-05-13-19-52-43.png.2b4e1e6acc33dba4e0a4ea637367158f.png
The piston travel further in the bore because the big end pin location is different.

2. I have never read anything that says it won't work but honestly can't answer that for sure.

3. Larger bore changes the amount of volume inside the cylinder at a given depth.
Think about pouring a 1/2 inche of fluid in a shot vs 1/2 fluid in a jumbo coffee cup.
  • Like 2

The piston travel further in the bore because the big end pin location is different.

2. I have never read anything that says it won't work but honestly can't answer that for sure.

3. Larger bore changes the amount of volume inside the cylinder at a given depth.
Think about pouring a 1/2 inche of fluid in a shot vs 1/2 fluid in a jumbo coffee cup.
K thanks guys...So you're going to have a 462 ?!..
  • Like 1