will a xr650l headlight a direct fit on an Xl250R?

I want to upgrade my sealed beam 87 XL250R headlight with a brighter headlight that has a replaceable H4 bulb. I heard that the XR650L one may be a direct fit. Has anyone had any experience doing this install?

Thanks in advance, Scott

I think they upgraded to the three phase stator in '91. Check to see if yours has three yellow wires going from the stator to the R/Rectifier. Does this bike have a battery? You may not have enough juice to run the 55w headlamp.

Can you post a wiring diagram?

I think they upgraded to the three phase stator in '91. Check to see if yours has three yellow wires going from the stator to the R/Rectifier. Does this bike have a battery? You may not have enough juice to run the 55w headlamp.

Can you post a wiring diagram?

The headlight runs off a separate lighting coil independent of the battery. There is only a yellow /white and ground wire coming out. I do have access to a 91 stator but im unsure if it would bolt in or how to wire it into my existing harness on the 87 xr250L. The hi beam on this bike is just so anemic it dangerous to ride around here at night with deer wandering around the road.

Well, who says you don't learn something new everyday. Does the XL have a hi/low beam how about a battery, how much power does the stator produce?

Yes, it is equipped with a dual filament headlight and a battery. As far as the output of the stator, all I know is that when I was experimenting with a 55 watt bulb it was very dim. Edited by kmequint