Sign in to follow this  

KX250 Steel Frame!?

WWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY Kawasaki!!?

Okay. Is it me or is the Kawasaki stuck in the past with the steel frame? I'm a 2-stroke newbie so yea...

My Kx is model year 2007 with a steel frame! My buddies 2002 CR250 has an aluminum frame. Why does Kawasaki use a steel frame for their 2-strokes???

Aluminum frames are not necessarily better than steel . They just have different flex charcteristics . One is not always better than the other . Look at KTM for example . They are using steel frames and that brand is extremely successful , both at the national level and local . IMO , aluminum frames are used just as much for marketing and sales promotion related activities as it is for pure performance reasons . People think aluminum is better and buy accordingly so manufacturers respond . I can see the desire to use aluminum on a 4 stroke bike as a means to reduce weight on an already heavy bike , but on a 2 stroke 250 , there are more important things . I have a 2007 KX250 as well and I couldn't care less about having an aluminum frame on that bike . 95% + of the riders cannot ride the bike to it's full potential the way it is already .

Edited by MIMB

A steel kx frame is a pound and a half lighter than an aluminum cr frame. I know, I had an 01 cr 125 frame and I put them a scale a while back.

The primary reason for the japs moving to alluminum frames was a shortage of steel, not any real performance benefit. They sure did put a nice marketing spin on it though! I would take the steel framed Kawi over an aluminum framed CR any day. That's of course just my personal preference.

Not to mention, working on a bike with an aluminum frame blows!

And to the newbie, KTM and a majority of the euro bikes are steel frames.

Aluminum frames are not necessarily better than steel . They just have different flex charcteristics . One is not always better than the other . Look at KTM for example . They are using steel frames and that brand is extremely successful , both at the national level and local . IMO , aluminum frames are used just as much for marketing and sales promotion related activities as it is for pure performance reasons . People think aluminum is better and buy accordingly so manufacturers respond . I can see the desire to use aluminum on a 4 stroke bike as a means to reduce weight on an already heavy bike , but on a 2 stroke 250 , there are more important things . I have a 2007 KX250 as well and I couldn't care less about having an aluminum frame on that bike . 95% + of the riders cannot ride the bike to it's full potential the way it is already .

2005-2007 kx250's are beasts

Wow! Thanks guys. I've definitely learned something today! I thought about taking the frame off the bike and painting it a semi-gloss black or green.

Edited by Zerofounder

WWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY Kawasaki!!?

Okay. Is it me or is the Kawasaki stuck in the past with the steel frame? I'm a 2-stroke newbie so yea...

My Kx is model year 2007 with a steel frame! My buddies 2002 CR250 has an aluminum frame. Why does Kawasaki use a steel frame for their 2-strokes???

the problem isnt with kawasaki, its with your ignorance. looks like most eveything has already been covered, but i will add that aluminum may be easier to manufacture- you cant extrude steel as easily, bend it in the same ways, etc.

one of the reasons i like kawis so much is that they stuck with steel frames longer than most. aluminum is a much "harsher" frame material, it transfers shock better than steel, not a good thing in my opinion, the flex characteristics of steel are much better for dirtbike.

Edited by hi_im_sean

Wow! Thanks guys. I've definitely learned something today! I thought about taking the frame off the bike and painting it a semi-gloss black or green.

shouldn't that be bike off the frame?

the problem isnt with kawasaki, its with your ignorance. looks like most eveything has already been covered, but i will add that aluminum may be easier to manufacture- you cant extrude steel as easily, bend it in the same ways, etc.

one of the reasons i like kawis so much is that they stuck with steel frames longer than most. aluminum is a much "harsher" frame material, it transfers shock better than steel, not a good thing in my opinion, the flex characteristics of steel are much better for dirtbike.

My ignorance? I'm not ignorant. My knowledge of these great machines is not slim but I don't know everything.

shouldn't that be bike off the frame?

Yea that sounds right. But is your glass half empty or half full? Depends on how ya look at it I guess.

My ignorance? I'm not ignorant. My knowledge of these great machines is not slim but I don't know everything.

lol ok, you come in here asking why, then after a few people answer you say thanks, " wow i learned something today", then you say you dont know everything... but your not ignorant. go get a dictionary, you clearly dont understand the definition of ignorance, which again makes you ignorant. lmfao

lol ok, you come in here asking why, then after a few people answer you say thanks, " wow i learned something today", then you say you dont know everything... but your not ignorant. go get a dictionary, you clearly dont understand the definition of ignorance, which again makes you ignorant. lmfao

Sorry I didn't learn everything about the bike when I first looked at it.

Sorry I didn't learn everything about the bike when I first looked at it.

thats not what i said. dont try to turn it into something else because youre butthurt.

this thread is a fail

Edited by hi_im_sean