Cheap Chain - Expected Life? Your $0.02 wanted!

I can't help but thinking that those expensive renthal chains are all marketing and just inflated prices. So I want to give this cheaper chain a shot (see link below). its a $15 chain and my buddy thinks this guys just buys chain in bulk and cuts it down to size. I want to give it a try to see how well it works, but Im concerned about its quality. Assuming it is a good chain, how many hours would you guys use it?

I ride mx tracks and I'm a beginner. I'm hoping to get a seasons worth of use which for me would be about 30-40 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KX-250F-2004-2010-Drive-Chain-NEW-KX250F-/120910491685?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c26d3b025&vxp=mtr

Lifespan will have a lot to do with how much your ride, and how much you clean and lube it. No matter what, I doubt it will last very long. And, if it breaks and blows a hole in your case, will it still seem like a good deal?

There's a reason why they can sell something that normally costs $60, for $15.. ?

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1

There are a lot of distributer brands (parts unlimited/tucker rocky brands come to mind) that are actually good chains and can be had for considerably less than the renthal/pro taper/etc... chains. Another avenue that you could look down is the fleabay route, there are people that sell name brand new chains on the cheap. If the 15 dollar chain doesn't break and slap your case, or bind up and tosses you causing injury, then I would expect that it would stretch like a bungee cord. If you are looking for longevity, don't think that it is going to cost an arm and a leg, you can get an o-ring chain and steel sprockets and they will wear like stone if taken care of properly. I just changed mine out and bought an EK o-ring chain and a set of JT steel sprockets and couldn't be happier!

• Like 1

Here's a pic of my cheap chain

edc18db3d63348af7f46f9fc49b3995b.jpg

It came on the bike, thought I'd get by for the season. I was extremely lucky that it didn't take any of the engine cases, or my leg with it. A 80 dollar chain seems like pretty cheap insurance when compared to the cost of a new set of cases. Get a quality chain.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I've always strongly believed in "You get what you pay for" when buying bike parts or anything for that matter, Car Parts, Musical instruments.

I purchased a top of the line D.I.D X-ring CRF450 chain to fit on my YZ250 and wrapped it around some new steel sprockets, I've only had to re-tension it once which was after the first ride. Clean and lube it regularly and it will last a long time as well as your sprockets.

• Like 2

I like the primary drive setup. Get the sprockets too. I've had it on my bike since last year and its still good. I put about 2 hours on the bike every other weekend in the summer on MX tracks. I have experienced very little streach and the steel sprockets are wearing fine. I keep my chain very clean and well lubed after every ride.

A cheap chain will only last 1 ride before it starts eating away at the sprockets. A good quality chain can last a long time and if replaced in time, the sprockets will live through a few chains before needing replaced.

Gold chains are hyped up. Quality chains are not.

• Like 1

There are a lot of distributer brands (parts unlimited/tucker rocky brands come to mind) that are actually good chains and can be had for considerably less than the renthal/pro taper/etc... chains. Another avenue that you could look down is the fleabay route, there are people that sell name brand new chains on the cheap. If the 15 dollar chain doesn't break and slap your case, or bind up and tosses you causing injury, then I would expect that it would stretch like a bungee cord. If you are looking for longevity, don't think that it is going to cost an arm and a leg, you can get an o-ring chain and steel sprockets and they will wear like stone if taken care of properly. I just changed mine out and bought an EK o-ring chain and a set of JT steel sprockets and couldn't be happier!

Thats the ticket ?