2012 kx450f stuck in 3rd?

That is an inner bearing retainer screw. You need to split the cases and find the tab that goes with that screw as well. If its from the crank bearing retainers they have two screws holding them in so that would be a good thing not having a retainer bouncing around by the crankshaft. As I stated before I have seen this multiple times on the Kawi 450's.

Here are some pics of the inner cases from an 07 I just did recently. As you can see there are two screws for each retainer on the crank main bearings but there are also some on the transmission bearings as well.

DSCN6904.jpg

Edited by Charlie755

In the second pic, what is with the very shiny looking bolt head on the bottom of the shift pawl guide plate? Is that where it was stuck or is there something wrong there also?

As far as black oxide colored torx head bolts go, I don't remember any others inside the case, all mine are silver, just like the 07 that is pictured.

Would this cause the hard shifting that i had?

See post number 23 and report.

If that bolt head was jammed up against the shift pawl it would cause your symptoms or if it came from the inside and was rattling around the transmission, then yes, it could cause hard shifting. I am still not convinced it is from the inside. I think you need to be sure it is not from the shift pawl guide plate. If it is not then yes, it's from the inside and the cases need to be split.

I'm assuming that the bolt you are referring to is damaged, but still in place, correct?

It may have been damaged from the broken bolt. If that's the case then yes the crank cases need to come apart, unless someone could have dropped an extra bolt in there by mistake?

• 3 weeks later...

Broken torx from the back side of the clutch basket came out and wedged in the ratchet. After missing 5 motos over something stupid ill be back at it tomorrow! thanks for all your help and suggestions guys!

You didn't mention you had replaced the clutch basket previously? I have replaced several baskets recently and have not noticed the stock hardware holding the driven gear to the basket actually having a torx head on them. I believe they are solid head rivets. Glad you found it but you threw us for a curve with not enough info.

rekluse core exp 2.0 clutch set up.

That explains it! Assuming you used their basket or any after market basket those bolts need to be clean, loc-tighted, and penned on the back side.

Other than the failure of the basket how do you like the action of the core? I have been considering one just haven't pulled the trigger.