Trials Bikes

Yes I used to ride it in the 70s its really fun and you obviously learn alot of balance and technical skills which translate into improving your riding. Try it out I still have a vintage Bultaco I'm going to start competing with. Good luck, Matt

Yeah, i've been riding amature intermediate for about 3 years now. Trials riding is a lot of fun and as stated earlier, it does build a lot of skill. If you are just wanting to dabble in it, not sure that you will like it, i would highly suggest going with a used bike. A new bike is a big investment about 5K, depending on size and model.

Some of the bigger names in trials bikes would be Gas Gas, Sherco, Scorpa and beta. All of these machines are well engineered and highly refined. The deciding factor for me when i finally bought a new bike was proximity of a reputable dealer. Lucky for me, the U.S importer for Gas Gas is only 15 minutes from me. And one very important note, Do not even look at any model designated as a pro bike. When pro is stamped on the side of these things they mean it and you had better have the skill set to back it up or you will be on your back more than you are on the pegs

Thanks for the info guys...I've wanted to ride trials since I was like 12 and first saw it on motoworld. But I just figured it was mostly a North Eastern deal, and of course Europe. It turns out that there is an active group of Montesa riders right near me. For those of you who know trials, Chris Florin's father Barry lives about 10 miles from me, and I think Chris does as well. And Barry has been nice enough to give me some great advice.

And I think my Drinkin_Buddy is dead on...I'm sure I would not learn any more on a $1500-$2000 bike than I would on a $5K bike. Besides, I'm sure in trials the old truth "it's not the bike it's the rider" is more true than in most sports. I guess that assuming the bike is more or less current :D

Thanks for all the good info guys. ?

I got to ride one once in Sweden. Its amazing how much fun you can have in such a small space.

Its a very strange feeling - obviously no seat, but you can't even grip the tank with your knees. I think a lot of the pro MXers practice w/ trials bikes for balance.

In the short time I rode, I think I improved my clutch, throttle, & balance control tremendously.

-Greg

The first bike i bought was a used Gas Gas txt that i bought off a guy for 1700 clams. I still get misty when i think of her ?.... It was not the prettiest bike but it was mechanically sound and it held up pretty good to all the punishment a newbie can dish out. A couple of words of advice to anyone planning on getting into this sport. Try and find a knowledgable rider, or a good website, to help you in setting up your bike, it can be a little tricky. To save you a little cash, take the side mounting screws out of your rear fender and replace them with small gauge zip ties. This way when you loop it out, which you will do often, the ties will give way and you wont snap off your flimsy rear fender that most manufacturers are so proud of. Now go out there and throw yourself against something vertical :D

I never rode a trials bike before I bought mine. A friend had it sitting in his garage collecting dust. I should have borrowed it before I bought it. I must say it's ALOT different than I thought it would be. I thought I'd jump on it and ride it over rocks, logs, and cars but I must say it's harder than you think! I'm a motocrosser and I never realized how bad of a rider I really am! The best advice I can give is to buy a used(cheap) bike because I don't think a $6,000 Gas-Gas would have helped me one bit!

I've been riding trials for about 3 years now, the convenience of it for me is one of the benefits. There's really good riding in southern NY, only 10 minutes from home. Definitely challenging, not too expensive once you've bought the bike as nothing really wears out (unless you bail real hard), and not needing a large tract of land is a definite plus. I actually have a hard time deciding which bike to ride(my 03 250F) or my GasGas. But like I said, the convenience of it is a major benefit. If I had to drive 1 hour to ride trials vs 1 hour to mx (as I have to) I'll take the mx. If you do buy one though, you're definitely going to have a good time with no regrets, and it will be a few years before you even consider upgrading. You'll get your $$$ worth of use over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks back I went to a trials event and rode some of the novice sections. Short story is I had a blast.

And this Wed I will pick up my new (to me)

1998 GasGas TXT270 :D

When I got my 250f I thought I was done with 2smokes...but I had to make an exception for this one. ?

Thanks for all the help and insight.

I've been riding for 36 years, and got into trials in 2000. Like an earlier poster in the thread, I had wanted to do it since I was a young kid. (Actually since I first saw a trials bike in "On Any Sunday")

Long story short, I have totally fallen in love with it. I thought I knew how to ride a motorcycle, but trials will humble you very quickly. A motorcycle at speed is basically two large gyroscopes that is content to continue on without you even on it, until it slows down! A trials bike is ALWAYS slowed down, so it is all up to you to balance it. Start adding in all the obstacles you must contend with and you will find a whole new set of skills that a regular motorcycle rider is oblivious of. The great news is that those skill translate back to your regular bikes, making you an even better rider on them.

The comment about the KTM "feeling like a land yacht" rings true. Once you grow acustom to the agility of a trials bike, everything else seems like a tank. I finally sold off my KDX-220 for that very reason. No longer any fun to ride, in lieu of all the things you can do on a trials bike!

I was another kid that wanted a Trials bike "Suzuki RL250" It is 27 years later and I finally got a GASGAS 280 PRO for me and a Sherco 50 for my Son. We both ride other bikes, Honda XR 400 and a KTM 50 and find ourselves riding the GASGAS and Sherco a lot more than the other bikes. It may be because we are new to it, but it is really fun. I would recommend everyone try one out if they can. ?:D

Hey, I just discovered this thumper forum, I like it! Anyways, you folks who are thinking about trials & trials riding techniques should check out the Trials Training Center in TN, www.trialstrainingcenter.com for some professional instruction. It will make your riding progress so much faster to have someone show you the techniques, especially before you learn a bunch of bad habits.

p.s., Chris Florin is partly sponsored by TTC.