pistons

A little more information would help, but MXA had an article discussing piston types and various pros/cons. If you have no experience, I would rely on that, rather than what you hear on a forum (cast pistons are less likely to crack, wiseco pistons always seize, yada yada yada).

personaly, i want a foreged piston, much stronger and can handle high revs better. pistons only break when the clinder is WAY out of spec. and when the piston does go, its usualy at a low rpm. because at high rpm, the piston actualy becomes press fit into the cylinder. the only disadvantage is forged pistons, need to be fully warmed up before you start working the motor. you can ride it to warm it up... or you shouldnt anyway. and if a forged piston isnt broken in properly its a ticking time bomb. cast isnt as strong, but doesnt require as much warming up, and realy they dont have much of a break in, you just have to seat the rings. JE makes an awsome piston, kinda hard to find for a bike even 4 years old it seems, my second choise is wiesco

I've run cast, I've run forged. It might be hard for the op to find anything else than a forged piston if he is looking for a high compression big bore. All this b.s. about forged vs. cast is well, bs. I don't care what piston is in my bike, the bike gets properly warmed up, regardless.

personaly, i want a foreged piston, much stronger and can handle high revs better. pistons only break when the clinder is WAY out of spec. and when the piston does go, its usualy at a low rpm. because at high rpm, the piston actualy becomes press fit into the cylinder. the only disadvantage is forged pistons, need to be fully warmed up before you start working the motor. you can ride it to warm it up... or you shouldnt anyway. and if a forged piston isnt broken in properly its a ticking time bomb. cast isnt as strong, but doesnt require as much warming up, and realy they dont have much of a break in, you just have to seat the rings. JE makes an awsome piston, kinda hard to find for a bike even 4 years old it seems, my second choise is wiesco

Ok, cast pistons handle revs just as fine, just because the forged piston might be a couple grams lighter, us mere mortals aren't going to notice the difference. I have seen cracked pistons with an in spec. cylinder. I also have seen forged pistons launch at high rpms, also. Define "press fit in cylinder"? as in seized? Any bike that isn't broken in properly is "a ticking time bomb". When you break in a top end, you are seating the rings in either a forged or a cast piston. You don't seat the piston.