[beginner bike] How common is the 200cc Beta Rev3 in the USA

Pondering getting a trials bike. I'm 44. Would classify myself as a beginner enduro rider with no previous trials experience.

I've read a few comments recommending the 200cc variant of the Beta Rev3. How common is the 200cc in the USA? I did a US wide Craiglist search and came up with about 15 Rev3's, all 270cc. The comments I read suggested the 270cc was too much power for a beginner.

Any other [200cc] bikes well suited for a beginner?

I'd really like minimal power to begin, I know the right hand controls the throttle but I've done my fair share of whisky-throttling on 2-strokes ? I can always upgrade to a larger bike, from the pricing I'm seeing well cared for trials bikes seem to hold their value much more than enduros.

It would be great if I could spend $1800 but I'd be willing to go upto $2500.

thanks!

Edited by crazybrit

Not very, Americans buy big engines. You are correct about a 200 (any 200) being a good beginner bike.

Given your current criteria you could be an old man before you find a bike (50 comes, and goes, fast). I suggest that if you want a Trials bike you buy the best one you can find, and afford, and start riding.

Edited by moto vita

You are correct about a 200 (any 200) being a good beginner bike.

Any recommendations on other 2000-2006 era 200s (other than the Rev3)?

Given your current criteria you could be an old man before you find a bike (50 comes, and goes, fast). [/font]

I hear you on the 50 bit (sigh! for some reason I still vividly remember 30). As for the "criteria" you make it sound like I have some massive laundry list which I don't think is the case. I've learned that some degree of patience is a good thing when looking for used bikes :ride:

Trying to get a handle on pricing so I can get on the gas when a good deal shows. Seeing lots of 2005-2006 era bikes for ~$2500 in the midwest but prices in the Pacific NW seem to be significantly higher. I'm generally averse to shipping bikes and obviously a fly-ride ain't happening but the idea is bouncing around in my head.

Edited by crazybrit

Pondering getting a trials bike. I'm 44. Would classify myself as a beginner enduro rider with no previous trials experience.

I've read a few comments recommending the 200cc variant of the Beta Rev3. How common is the 200cc in the USA? I did a US wide Craiglist search and came up with about 15 Rev3's, all 270cc. The comments I read suggested the 270cc was too much power for a beginner.

Any other [200cc] bikes well suited for a beginner?

I'd really like minimal power to begin, I know the right hand controls the throttle but I've done my fair share of whisky-throttling on 2-strokes ? I can always upgrade to a larger bike, from the pricing I'm seeing well cared for trials bikes seem to hold their value much more than enduros.

It would be great if I could spend $1800 but I'd be willing to go upto $2500.

thanks!

You can always put a slow throttle on or a thicker base gasket to get less power. Neither of these mods cost much.

I believe that Gas Gas and Sherco both offered 200s in those years. You should consider a Montesa 315, which is a 250. They are more common, and well built so they hold up pretty well. The later Montesas with the Showa forks and DID rims are the better ones.

On an older bike I'd say condition is more important than brand. Try to avoid bikes that have been used as trail bikes rather than for competition, they are usually beat. A well maintained competition bike is a better bet (there are exceptions either way though).