Heart Transplant - DR-Z125 into Hyosung RX125

Found a little time to work on the bike today and made up Adapter Plate Mk-II

P1010171_zpsac34b19a.jpg

The carb and intake clear the shock nicely

P1010172_zpsa5cd3cd2.jpg

...but here comes Alignment Problem Mk-II in the form of the asymmetric studs on the new inlet stub. Somehow I don't think it's going to seal like this

P1010173_zpsb39b4448.jpg

Removing one stud and pivoting the carb around a bit to line it up with the inlet reveals the extent of the misalignment. I presume it is intended to be like this and I am seeing the problem because I'm using it upside-down.

P1010178_zpsc043e7b3.jpg

I sure there's a way around this. I just have to figure it out. Current thoughts include:

• An additional Heath-Robinson adapter to allow the left side of the carb to be bolted up
  • Cut the manifold and turn the carb attachment part over, then try to glue it back together
  • Slot the mounting holes on the carb to allow it to move up a bit

This seemed like the least inelegant solution (by no means perfect, but a better bodge than the obvious alternatives.) It took only a few minutes with a Dremel cut-off wheel

P1010181_zpsb5447ec5.jpg

I should point out that the object of surgery is a scabbly spare carb. I think I'll see if I can get the bike running with it but, ultimately, if this works, I will do the same thing to the good carb. Looks ok

P1010180_zps4d3f4cac.jpg

Edited by Slartidbartfast

• 1 year later...
Can't believe how long it's been since I did anything to this project. Back on it this week.

Have stripped and cleaned the old Hyosung carb. It was full of thick varnish and sediment deposits but cleaned up really well in an ultrasonic bath with dollar store "Awesome" cleaner. Found the tip of the idle mixture needle broken off and jammed in the seat, however - still working on that and might need to try something else. Read on another forum that the Hyosung carb runs very rich on engines without the 4-valve head so might try another manifold solution that will let me use the Suzuki carb.

Glad to see you're back on it! Still got that Hyosung head? :thinking: 
I don't have a Suzuki manifold with me to measure, but Sudco may be able to help with an angled right manifold if you check their most recent catalogue. 

I've been thinking of plating my mule when I get it here in April, since the drive to work here in Saskabush is 90% gravel right now.  ? 

Glad to see I'm not the only one who begrudgingly allows life to get in the way of his projects.

May 2012 my Jeep decided it didn't want to run right, barely made it up some hills and if you gave it too much gas, felt like it was gonna stall. Since it's still got the slush box I hate so much, stalling is very bad.

Several hours and $200 lighter, I and my Jeep were flying down the highway on a flat bed truck. (Well, I was in the cab.)

Many attempts, a carb rebuild on the stocker, a new entirely different carb and about 20 months later, I finally found the problem was about 1/3 of the teeth on the cam side of the timing set had disintegrated. It's now running and as best as I can tell, ready for the road again. This time I have the $1.50/mo towing coverage. If I need a tow in the next 11 years, that's a worthwhile investment.

Keep it up, we'll be watching.