Help CaveMike id kdx year

CaveMike find clean stock unmolested kdx in local garage. Owner not know what it is. CaveMike only see bike for 5 minutes, no have vin or serial number, but still want know what bike is. Bike be water cooled, have first generation style kdx plastic, but have inverted fork. Upper part of fork be blue. Bike be 1992? CaveMike no sure. Also, CaveMike no sure bike be 200, him hoping it not 250. Kdx250 ever have first gen plastics or always look newer? Help CaveMike out.

I don't think any KDX ever came with usd forks. However yes, those forks (blue) were used in the early 90's. Someone grafted a early 90's kx front end on it. If it's liquid cooled i'd guess 89-92? A picture would be helpful to narrow it down. Good luck!

USD forks were standard only on the 93 and 94 KDX200, and all the watercooled KDX250's (91 - 94). Those 250's all looked pretty much the same. Perimeter frame and all that....

Yep. ? I would say it is a '93 or '94 KDX200.

Here is a '93-'94 KDX200 - note the differences between the radiator shrouds and side panels. They are the quick way to identify between the two.

1994KDX200.jpg

Here is a KDX250

P4240010.jpg

Edited by SS109

Yeah, it have older style plastic like top bike, which mean it be 200. That make CaveMike happy. Him want get bike for beginner friend. Kdx200 fit that bill, 250 not so much. There be any differences between 93 and 94, or do CaveMike just need check vin?

93/94 are exactly the same. No need to worry about the vin. Great bikes. The forks are very soft, but actually do pretty well if you spring them for the correct weight. The shock will be fine for most riders as is. KIPS valves can be problematic on those bikes, so keep an eye on them. The 89-94 kdx200 engine arguably has the best power delivery of all the KDX models.

Edited by juliend