Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Taylor Park Trails - now closed

We were down in Taylor Park area last week and for one of our days I had planned a nice ride for us from Bear Creek Trail up over Star Pass and down to Cement Creek Road where I planned on getting on Cement Creek Trail riding it up to Hunter Mountain Trail and I wanted to continue on it to the north and then loop back. It may not have been Hunter Mtn Trail but it was the trail just west of Hunter Hill Trail which I'd noted as one we'd lost...it was Hunter something.

Anyway, I, and a number of others we encountered, were very surprised to find that these trails (and others) were now CLOSED to moto and are now HIKING ONLY per the signs. The Cement Creek Trail has even been renumbered. We tried to access it from a number of cross trails including Block & Tackle until I finally decided we were finding the right trail but it was no longer legal. Of course, we saw NO hikers on the trails.

So, we ended up riding the Cement Creek road up towards Mt. Tilton and eventually went through the pass up there and back down to Taylor River Road, but that wasn't the plan!

Back when the MVUM was released, I took my map and painstakingly X'd out all the stuff that was closed, but I had none of the stuff mentioned above X'd out. Did I miss something? At the time, it didn't seem that we had lost too many miles of trails, but my opinion on that is much different now!!!

WEAK!! I haven't done enough riding up there to know what "used" to be there, but it sounds about right. It seems to me that we are losing trails faster than we can keep up with. I have encountered MANY hikers and MTBers along these trails, and I have yet to have a negative experience with anyone up there. I think if you are courteous, and give those guys a little space, everything would be fine! I hike, and MTB too, and I have to say that I have no issue sharing the trail with anyone! Personally, I don't see why we can't maintain multi-use trail systems in certain areas, such as TP, and if people want isolation from OHV/MTB activity, they can go to wilderness areas...that's what they are for!! This closing trails to OHVers has to stop!!

Yep, they closed Cement Creek because it was deemed too close to water. Was there this last weekend and stopped at the water crossing at the end of the Italian Creek to SC Resevior singletrack connector (sorry, don't know names) and the beaver pond was full of fish. Funny part was seeing the cows cross and take a giant crap in the middle of the creek.

Cows do far more damage to the stream banks than dirt bikes do. They chew the bank up, they put sediment in the creek.

Regardless, the FS also is closing most non-designated campsites within 100' of water.

Most of the trails open now I think will stay open, but who knows...

Want to help stop these closures?

Join and donate to COHVCO and the Colorado Trails Preservation Allinace.

Everyone expects the "other guy" to do it. Guess what, YOU are the other guy.

• Like 2

Rod- love all the work you do and appreciate it, but I would add that you need to not only donate and support COHVCO and CTPA, but you should spend 15 minutes once a week finding, calling, and talking to the recreation planners at the BLM and FS districts you enjoy riding. Thank them for keeping it open, share the stories of your ride and how much your kid loved it, ask what else can be done in the area to better the recreation experience of all users. I think this is the other best way to try to keep our trails open.

Another thing to do: pick up trash and take it the BLM office for disposal. Every time I ride Grand Junction I show up at the BLM office with a pickup load of trash. Sure, it takes an hour or even more out of your day, but the BLM guys in that office have a lot of power to help or hurt our riding.

Interesting that you mention this, Rod.

I'm a COHVCO member and so is Dave (Dmac1) yet the emails sent directly to COHVCO regarding the recent activity from logging personnel around the Divide trail system have gone unanswered.

I write letters to the FS, COHVCO, TPA, BRC, my local Representatives, etc and none have been answered. I expected that from the latter, but not from the first few who graciously took my donation.

I've had personal conversations with FS managers for different districts, as well as a face to face with Tom Metsa. At the same time I am witnessing FIRST HAND closures of trails ad campsites that are on the 2012 MVUM's. There's activity happening RIGHT NOW that is not being adressed nor are our interests being represented. When you have forest service personnel that have direct decision making ability on closures without public notice on PUBLIC LANDS you have a serious, serious problem.

I am sorry to hear that someone used your name in an illegal manner at Rampart, I do not condone that behavior at all.

However I have a big %$#% problem with God complex and power abuse within the Forest Service. What is COHVCO doing about that?

Debate.

Mike (redhurricane) has it right. No response from COHVCO. Not even a simple thanks for your email. I'm going to send another email to follow up. As a multi-year member, I'm disappointed.

I do not condone riders doing what they did at Rampart and especially the lying part. Unfortunately, as we all know, the more that is taken away, the more illegal trail riding there will be.

I have spent alot of $ to participate in this sport and like Mike, write various parties at various times. I too have seen what the Forest Service is doing and it makes me angry that they seem to have to answer to no one.

I will be attending the upcoming CMTRA meeting in the Springs in order to try to do something besides make contributions and write letters. I feel that the guys in Utah have a much stronger local voice than us. The Sage Riders, Bookcliff Rattlers (GJ actually), Ride with Respect and USA-ALL seem to make an impact. It doesn't seem that Colorado front range riders have as much success but hopefully I am wrong. The new Rampart singletrack is a HUGE accomplishment and many many thanks for that...but what other successes have we had?

As far as in the Gunnison basin, I dug through my back files and did some googling and think that we lost about 45 miles of singletrack, ATV'rs lost about 60, full size 4x4 lost about 1,200, mountain bikers GAINED about 130 (which they share with hikers and those are the ones that prompted this thread). and about 1,300 miles of routes were CLOSED!!!

In case you are interested:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72DTUE8TAwjQL8h2VAQAMtzFUw!!?ss=110204&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5173074&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Not%252520Yet%252520Determined.Html&ttype=detailfull&pname=Grand%252520Mesa,%252520Uncompahgre%252520and%252520Gunnison%252520National%252520Forests-%252520Home

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to my map, it looks like they slightly re-routed the beginning of Hunter Creek. We'd tried a couple access points to Cement Creek and one of our riders had gotten frustrated with my efforts and took off up Cement Creek Road and blew past what I think was the Hunter Creek junction. I saw a sign, but didn't turn around to see if it was open. Sounds like it is and that it meets Cement Creek Road a little north of the access point to Block and Tackle. As I recall, my map showed it branching off Cement Creek Trail....not crossing it to a road junction.

Hey Guys,

Don't know who gets/answers the mails, but I'll find out. Biggest issue with COHVCO?...it's REALLY about 4 guys. Seriously, and I'm not including me because I am a small time player in this. NOT an excuse....but this is 4 people that attend the meetings across the state and all the other junk that needs doing outside of their real jobs/lives and families.

Like so many worthy causes.

Not enough people

Not enough money

Not enough time.

Rod

Edited by Rodzilla

Sent a PM to Rod to get him the fact that I've subsequently learned that the email address I got (apparently) off a newsletter or something was no longer valid. I'm trying to get a valid email address and once I do, will resend my stuff to COHVCO. As of right now, they still don't have it. I'd have updated this page but thought I'd have a valid email by now.