DR650 Cafe Conversion & "New" 1992 bike questions

I just bought a 1992 DR650 that needs some TLC.It's a low miles bike, but has set for a while. It will start easily with spray start, but no easily withouut. So carb work is in order. It also received a really bad flat black paint job that is peeling off of the plastic. This does not matter since I was thinking of converting it to a cafe style street bike. They also cut off the muffler just past the end of the cone coming up from the stock pipe and then attached a spark arrestor to it using a coffee can and hose clamps. Mostly it seems good and rides well, But I have several questions.

Has anyone done a conversion to a street only cafe bike

The fellow that I got it from traded a truck for it and then decided not to ride much. He only had it for a couple on months He said that the PO had installed a 720 kit in it. How do I tell if this was done. Also it sounds like it could use a valve adjustment. I am womdering if the cams were changed too. Is there an easy way to tell if it has a different cam without taking it apart completely.

What is the best intake setup. It seems that they were running it with the air box cover off.

The rear shock appears to be an after market model with an infinite adjustment since the body is completely threaded for the preload adjuster. It should be easy to lower, but are there other methods that will help feep more of the travel.

Any ideas on lowering the front more than moving the forks up and removing the spacers will get me. How does it respond to cutting the springs..

I am thinking that there are no muffler components in the cone shaped pipe and that it will act as an open megaphone much to the dismay of my nieghbors. Any ideas on a compact exhaust system. I would prefer a lower mount for my application.

It has no battery , but it does run without it. Is this part of the hard to start issue or can I run battery free. Is the alternator strong enough to run a brighter light or two.

I think this will get me started, but as I get it further apart I will probably have more.

Edited by ranchodenieve

Sell the Dual Sport and buy a street bike. It will cost you Thousands of dollars to 'Cafe' a DR650. Money you will never get out of the bike when you 'try to sell it'. Bad idea. You got your hands full just fixing the PO's screw-ups.

Edited by james1300

I actually have several street bikes and am working on an RD400 now. But I had an XL500 many years ago and liked it alot. It had the sin of being too tall for me since I have only 30 " legs which is why I sold it. The DR650 is taller. I have always liked big singles, but there are none available for the street now other than the Suzuki cruiser. It's forward controls and and antiquated suspension system actually makes it more difficult & expensive to modify than the DR650 looks to be.The British stuff is too overpriced and the DR650 has a lot of basic advantages over them too. I know that it will cost something to do this, but I am doing all of the work myself. This is also one that I will not be selling.

Justifying a motorcycle based on cost is so laughable. At least 90% can't be. We tell our wives: "Look at the money I save on gas" If your wife is that dumb, you have bigger problems than can be solved here. She isn't.

I have a '90 which would be a great project, but I'm already doing a Honda CR500. So what wheels do you intend to use and what tank.

Here's good example.dr650-street-tracker-2.jpg

Hi im new on the forum the dr is a good bike to convert depending on how far you want to go with it unfortunately the frame is not the best there is but I think as a cafe racer it could make a intresting project you may have a problem with a tank as the backbone is so short a one off tank maybe the way to go and convert the rear subframe to fit the seat pan. I am converting a dr800 in to a street tracker at the moment with a 240 rear tyre just something a bit different you are only limited by your imagination go for it I look forward to seeing your progress on the project. :thumbsup:

I was finally able to sort out my starting problems. A new magneto was needed, but the carb rebuild didn't hurt either. 1st kick now. Now I have completed lowering it by 4 inches. I am going for that old cafe scrambler look.

This is a mock up with the new tank, although this will not be the seat that I use. I will be putting different bars on it too. The EMGO muffler fits well and has the right look, but it is not as quiet as I had hoped for.

FWIW, here is my cafe, tracker, sumo, whatever thing at the moment. Not quite up to date as i currently have the license plate up under the tail like the sport bike guys do.

DSCF8606.jpg

CR Designs Tracker Project

BEFORE

1039391201_b2pzP-L_zps5b1e8a1f.jpg

IN-PROGRESS

IMAG0648_zps7d1a6db4.jpg

IMAG0655_zpsa9c38ec1.jpg

IMAG0656_zps37f812bf.jpg

IMAG0650_zps15fb49e6.jpg

I think the big single lends itself to a cafe make over rather well. Lower it a little and in stall a big bore, or even the the stocker with a pipe and carb would be fun.

Exhaust study ...

mega_1_zps4f7d1dce.jpg

mega_2_zpsda6c6480.jpg

CR Designs Tracker Project

BEFORE

1039391201_b2pzP-L_zps5b1e8a1f.jpg

IN-PROGRESS

IMAG0648_zps7d1a6db4.jpg

IMAG0655_zpsa9c38ec1.jpg

IMAG0656_zps37f812bf.jpg

IMAG0650_zps15fb49e6.jpg

That looks brilliant! im currently doing similar to my dr650 motard. What tank are you using? I was considering an sr500 tank after seeing the Deus customs, but your tank is great :) love the pipes too. what are they?

Tank and rear cowl are HD XR750 replicas. The megaphones are a no name brand from a local shop. More in-prgress pics to come showing tank and rear cowl mounts, lowering links, etc. etc.

CEERF,

How will you keep the forks from hitting the tank? I want to change my tank and seat and was thinking of the same XR750 tank, but was woried about the fork tubes hitting it. I also have a set of USD forks that i need to have shortened and they are much larger in diameter and would only make the interference worse.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

O&S

CEERF,

How will you keep the forks from hitting the tank? I want to change my tank and seat and was thinking of the same XR750 tank, but was woried about the fork tubes hitting it. I also have a set of USD forks that i need to have shortened and they are much larger in diameter and would only make the interference worse.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

O&S

My reminder as I was mocking parts in place . . . LOL

DSC02742_zps86bd6b69.jpg

Here's my simple solution . . . you won't need a tight turning radius for the street as you would off road.

DSC02737_zpsb597f701.jpg

If you're planning to swap out to upside-down forks, the new triples' offset (assuming that they won't be a leading axle type as the DR's stock fork) will compensate for the larger fork's tubes clearance needs . . . though you may still need to devise the fork stops as in the above photo.

Edited by ceerf

Updated pics . . .

A little background on this build: I was commissioned by a friend, a new friend, to build this tracker. He's very fond of the the DR650 (This is his third one in his stable of many various motorcycles. The other two DRs are supermotard conversion twins.) and he approached me on the build. He liked the attention to detail that I had put into my personal bikes. And since I'm in between bikes (I can never hold onto my personal many so-called past "keepers". I get bored once my builds or mods are complete.), he thought it was a good chance to grab me for his bike build. It's been fun. The only challenge will be the exhaust. I know what I want as you see in the mocked up position of the dual megaphones. Earlier exhaust pics were photoshop studies.

DSC02738_zpse55a73f0.jpg

DSC02736_zps6f53ddce.jpg

Flat track bars and classic round headlight position check . . .

DSC02740_zpscd0b830b.jpg

DSC02741_zps3b498190.jpg

Edited by ceerf

Sorry for these poor quality phone pics . . .

IMAG0670_zpsd0f2eaf9.jpg

IMAG0671_zps151e1d8d.jpg

IMAG0672_zps0b24b570.jpg

IMAG0673_zps0ba2f362.jpg

Edited by ceerf

Got her to be a roller . . . she'll be off to the exhaust fabricator.

DSC02766_zps0002c456.jpg

DSC02773_zpsf49c7a79.jpg

DSC02770_zps6bc5cd9d.jpg

DSC02769_zpseb9a88a8.jpg

DSC02765_zps898fa8dc.jpg

Details:

Front Tank Mounts

DSC02756_zpsd2039afa.jpg

Rear Tank Mount (not drilled yet) and Cowl Front Pedestal Mounts

DSC02757_zpscc631794.jpg

Cowl Rear Pedestal Mounts

DSC02759_zps0dc6d109.jpg

Dash mount

DSC02755_zpsad3bfbf4.jpg

Shorai Battery (Small enough that the CDI can be packaged in the battery tray with it.)

DSC02753_zpscb5bda84.jpg

Edited by ceerf

Just got it back from the exhaust fabricator. I wasn't there when the stainless steel pipe pieces were mocked up (tack welded). As the designer, I wanted the header and mid-pipe system closer to/tucked-into the frame and engine, yet following the lines of the frame at each bend. My client who saw the mock-up, approved it. He's happy so I guess I'm happy. I'd do it MY way next time. The stance looks great at 4 inches lower. ---It's getting there . . .

CR_Tracker_zps6165a6c4.jpg

Edited by ceerf