Sign in to follow this  

Colorado New to CO

I am new to Colorado and so far have to say that the riding out here is awesome. I have been to a few different areas in the mountains above Boulder and each place was really cool. The terrain out here is a lot different than from where I came from (state shall remain nameless since it seems to be one of the two most disliked out here). But what I'd really like to comment on is how cool all of the dirt bikers are that I've met so far. Everyone out here seems to really enjoy riding and wants to pass on good riding spots to anyone else. It's awesome. I also want to thank Mike who bailed me out today and gave me a ride on his BMW 1200 back to my truck after my bike crapped out. His bike was pretty sweet and he saved me about a seven mile hike back to the truck. So after a month I really dig the riding and look forward to doing a ton more as long as I'm living out here. Please let me know of great places to ride.

James

Please let me know of great places to ride.

James

Sounds like you don’t miss California/Texas. Are you talking about technical single track, mild trail riding, dual sport, desert riding, track riding, or something else? There is a lot of great riding in the state, let us know what you are looking for and we can help you out.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

No worries from me on where you're from James. Welcome to Colorado! Just don't bring any more from whereever. :)

Glad you're enjoying the riding. There is tons, but we keep losing bits and pieces along the way.

As coktm asks, what type trails do you want to ride and what general area? Sounds like you live up north....maybe in Boulder? The Boulder area isn't the most moto friendly place in the state.

In the meantime, want some nice high mountain 4x4 roads to ride that will take you to some incredible vistas? Don't mind rocks? (they are the rocky mountains afterall) Go to Montezuma and ride up hill from the parking area just a little ways south of 'town'. Soon you'll be up around Red Cone, Webster Pass, Radical Hill and other various roads that are really good to do when its hot down lower. You can cruise around exploring up there for an entire day...especially if you stop to enjoy the views.

Be aware that Red Cone is a one way trail. DOWN only toward Webster Pass. Pretty steep and lotsa loose stuff...the ascent is further east and has some false summits. Its awesome. Did I say something about rocks?

If you go, keep an eye out for the mountain goats when you're way up high. They are really friendly and cute. If you've been up Mt. Evans you know what animals I'm talking about.

Lotsa other type trails down lower.

I really enjoy a lot of single track riding. So far I've ridden Left Hand Canyon, a few jeep roads up in Allen's Park, some fun jeep roads with a few single track trails up near Nederland. I rode Rampart Range last summer on a visit and thought it was fun but in the wider spots way to full of whoops. So any solid single track trails would be appreciated. And yes, I'm in Boulder and it is a very green city. And no I don't mind the rocks. They are everywhere and freaked me out at first but now I just try to stay back on the bike and skip over them. But it would be cool to see a mountain goat on a dirt bike. Thanks guys.

You could go up near Rollinsville and ride the East side of Rollins Pass. It's a very easy trail, with some challenging-enough off-shutes if you want, and some nice views when you get to the top. The West side of the pass can be accessed from Winter Park.

You could also look up West Magnolia, Argentine Pass, Bill Moore Lake/Empire Loop, Slaughterhouse Gulch, Kingston Peak, and Yankee Hill.

Gtwn, We will be riding McCoy on Saturday. It is north of Wolcott. It’s not too technical but can be entertaining. If you would like to join us PM me. During the winter we head out west to ride (Grand Junction, Rabbit Valley, Sidewinder, Westwater, and the areas around Green River, Ut.) There’s plenty of good single track out that way. When the snow stops us we head down to New Mexico. In the warmer months the mountains offer plenty of riding. Check out the “stay the trail” website for some of the Co. riding areas.

CoKTM