Sign in to follow this  

how often should you check/adjust the valves on a 2005 crf450r

TONS of threads on this topic .. search is your friend. pretty much same info for 02-05 as well.

Edited by MELK-MAN

i had an 05 with 150+ hours on it. i checked the valves 3 times before the 90 hour mark and only had to shim one intake about .001. then at 100 hours i had the engine rebuilt with new valves done by mxtime.com. i checked it again twice before i sold it and they didnt move in like 75 hours. i have a buddy with an 05 whose valves had to be shimmed once in 85 hours. every bike is different. if you bought your bike used, i would check them now and again in like 20 hours. if they havent moved, you should be good for 30 hours between valve checks. once i knew my valves werent gonna move i didnt see the need to stick to the manuals recommended check every 15 hours. change your oil often and keep up on air filter maintenance. make double sure the air filter is seated on the sealing surface of the airbox. poor air filter maintenance is what kills valves.

Edited by motogeek

.. not just air filter maint. sadly.. the valves just beat themselves to death on these bikes. You could ride in the cleanest conditions, AND change the filter every ride, and the valves (intakes) will need adjusted and soon after, need replaced. No way around it. You likely won't see movement for 85-100 hours as you stated, but once you make an adjustment the next adjustment comes much faster.. after the 2nd adjustment, you better order new valves if you ride every week.

This will obviously vary some based on how hard the motor is run, but they will wear.

Edited by MELK-MAN

If you plan on keeping the bike for any length of time, once they move, just get them fixed right, SS intakes, good springs, and get the head put together and checked out by a qualified shop. OEMS lasted less than 20hrs, First SS were lapped in and lasted about 80hrs, not exactly the way it should be done(unless your on a budget), second set i bought a whole head set up from Ron Hamp, those lasted till the oil pump failed at about 295 hours, with one reshim in the middle. And no, I'm not kidding, they are still in the bike.

So much information on this site about CRF valves, if you could print it all out, you'd have reading material for the "office" for at least a year. And the subject of oil and you've got a lifetime.

If you plan on keeping the bike for any length of time, once they move, just get them fixed right, SS intakes, good springs, and get the head put together and checked out by a qualified shop. OEMS lasted less than 20hrs, First SS were lapped in and lasted about 80hrs, not exactly the way it should be done(unless your on a budget), second set i bought a whole head set up from Ron Hamp, those lasted till the oil pump failed at about 295 hours, with one reshim in the middle. And no, I'm not kidding, they are still in the bike.

So much information on this site about CRF valves, if you could print it all out, you'd have reading material for the "office" for at least a year. And the subject of oil and you've got a lifetime.

sounds like a personal problem, my stock valves on my 06 lasted 300 hours, the seats wore out before the valves did, i rebuilt the head with moldstar 90 seats and a new set of OEM valves and they have gone another 100 hrs without moving. take care of your bike and it will take care of you.

Maybe because I ran it without an air filter? seriously, you say that like I'm the only one with valves that went out, maybe you missed the billion threads on here about that subject, Honda had a problem, obviously since there are a ton of after market valve companies, along with companies to fix the heads. Don't take it personally, great bike, bad valve train/springs. My next bike will be another CRF, best bike I've ever owned, period.

Since I didnt take care of my bike, please explain to me how you took care of yours so I'll know what do do next time. I think its funny you make a generalized statement about bike maintenance then don't offer any knowledge, please enlighten me.

Edited by BK14MX

~200hrs on mine before the first valve job. I'm not a revver (unless I'm about to die) and I clean the filter every 1-3 rides. I ride about 80% mx and 20% trail and I'm a top five 30+ Int. at local mx races (outside top ten if it's a big series, or an amatuer national).

ss valves are not the fix either.. they seem to lengthen the interval between intake adjustments, but it is NOT a permanent fix if you ride enough hours. i tried, many have tried, they still move if you ride/race enough. Even put the 08 head on my 04 (better seats), they still move.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Maybe because I ran it without an air filter? seriously, you say that like I'm the only one with valves that went out, maybe you missed the billion threads on here about that subject, Honda had a problem, obviously since there are a ton of after market valve companies, along with companies to fix the heads. Don't take it personally, great bike, bad valve train/springs. My next bike will be another CRF, best bike I've ever owned, period.

Since I didnt take care of my bike, please explain to me how you took care of yours so I'll know what do do next time. I think its funny you make a generalized statement about bike maintenance then don't offer any knowledge, please enlighten me.

being a b class rider, i tend to be on the rev limiter more often than not, but its of no consequence when you take cae of your stuff properly, oil and air filter every ride ONLY RUN MOLY OIL IN THE MOTOR... EVER, why not give yourself the best protection possible? and i run 100LL avgas, the lead cushions the valves, im sure that, combined with daily servicing kept my valves from moving. my 450 is pretty much as modded as it can get, giant cam (custom grind from web) heavy springs, ported, weighted crank with longrod from Carillo, 14:1 compression piston+ shaved head so about 14.3:1, like i said, take care of it and itll take care of you. guys who ride hondas that i build or take care of that follow my maintenance schedule NEVER have a valve problem, including pros.

changing oil and the air filter every ride (even if the air filter isn't dirty) may make you feel good, but is a bit of a waste. And a "ride" for one person my differ from another.. a few mx sessions vs. an hour in the woods is an example. An mx rider may need to change engine side more often than trans side,. woods is the opposite. Not saying there is much harm in changing oil and air filters everytime is bad.. (unless someone is dropping dirt into the air boot taking the air filter out and putting one in) but putting reasonable time on filter and oil vs changing every time will not make and difference in having a trouble free motor.

And "never" having a valve issue? those riders simply not riding them engouh before selling them, or they are not telling you about the problems. If there was a sure fire fix to the honda intake valve issue, more people would know about it and we would not have hundreds of threads on "..intake valve issues.." Not only that, and i'm sure you know this but for someone reading it should be pointed out, changing oil on a reasonable basis or changing "every ride" has no bearing on the life of the valve.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Agree about the SS valves, just from the setup Ron sent me which was an 06 head, they barely moved at all and I rode the hell out of that thing!!

ok, I'm never on the limiter with a Stage 1, 13.5:1, air filter after every ride(sandy here), and I changed oil after every 2 rides, which does not help valve life btw, being as when it got ridden, it was ridden for as long and as fast as I can go. Put a Pro-seal cage seal, because the 04's had a loose fit even when fully tight, and if I dropped sand in the boot, subframe off and cleaned. The only guys whose valves never moved were +40 straight beginners, the motors probably never even saw 9k rpms'.

8 years ago when all this stuff starting coming out about the springs being weak and the valves floating and beating themsleves out of the bikes, the seats being too hard and all this stuff going on cannot be new info. And everyone I ride with, and almost all of us have hondas, have had valves go out. Maintenance is not an issue, period. We all race, are not on daddy's dime and take care of our bikes. Banging off the limiter without problems on a full-mod motor with no valve issues, tough sell my friend.

changing oil and the air filter every ride (even if the air filter isn't dirty) may make you feel good, but is a bit of a waste. And a "ride" for one person my differ from another.. a few mx sessions vs. an hour in the woods is an example. An mx rider may need to change engine side more often than trans side,. woods is the opposite. Not saying there is much harm in changing oil and air filters everytime is bad.. (unless someone is dropping dirt into the air boot taking the air filter out and putting one in) but putting reasonable time on filter and oil vs changing every time will not make and difference in having a trouble free motor.

And "never" having a valve issue? those riders simply not riding them engouh before selling them, or they are not telling you about the problems. If there was a sure fire fix to the honda intake valve issue, more people would know about it and we would not have hundreds of threads on "..intake valve issues.." Not only that, and i'm sure you know this but for someone reading it should be pointed out, changing oil on a reasonable basis or changing "every ride" has no bearing on the life of the valve.

i had a pro run stock( never changed) valves in a head for 500 hours in an 06 CRF450, im telling you, the way i take care of stuff, the valves just dont move. hell that same bike is desert bike now and still starts first or second kick. any valve issue is more than likely the fault of the person taking care of the bike. sorry if you guys have had bad experiences, but what i do works, and has worked for quite some time.