CRF250X power/performance etc.

Hi, this is my first post. Im in desperate need with help on an 08 crf250x. I race xc and enduro and find it doesnt have enough top end power to keep up with competitors bikes. Basically i want to give it a bit more power, and know how to check whether its needs a rebuild. Its done approx 140 hours. i here about putting 250r carboureters on them etc, is this very hard? Also other mods and tips will be appreciated.

Cheers for any help ?

Edited by brooksy55

Brooksy55, a R cam, hi comp piston, R or aftermarket pipe, R head. Each part will boost power. No need to swap carbs. I'd start with the following order: cam, piston, pipe, head. Keep in mind that you will have to rejet with each application. You can go from mild to wild with the X....it all depends on how fat your wallet is.

• Like 1

I didn't have to rejet for the R cam. Definatly a different feeling bike. I ended up going with a 49 state x cam, it has a more bottom end grunt feel that I like. The R cam brings on a rush of power feel higher in the rev band. I was bring up the front coming out of turns like crazy, but it was a little to wild/much for me. Or course I'm not racing, and only been riding dirtbikes for 5 years. Got my cams for about 30-50$ on craigslist-Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Which cam for the 09X? I woods race only.Thanks.

It all depends on your riding style. Where is your X lacking power? Are you looking for low end grunt for the tight narly stuff or do you need top end power for the wfo sections?

It all depends on your riding style. Where is your X lacking power? Are you looking for low end grunt for the tight narly stuff or do you need top end power for the wfo sections?

Thanks. But here in Texas we have desert in the west and tight woods in the east. I have not bought the bike yet, just stumbled it yesterday. Just looking for all round power. Friend has an 07 and it is really weak in stock form.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned opening the airbox? Widening the opening in the top of the airbox is of the "ccc" mods. It makes a big difference and it's free. If you do this, it will now be able to breath more air, so it needs to jetted richer. Individual jet's are cheap, or buy a whole set in a kit for more $.