Is A 2T More Difficult To Ride Than A 4T?

Lets compare a 2007 CR250R to a 2007 CRF450R. Is one of these bikes easier to ride than the other?

I hear talk that 2T are harder to ride than 4T. Is this true or false?

Whats your opinion and why?

a few thing you need to look at here. the 4t will be heavier. and have smooth roll on power, the 2t will be lighter (more than enough to notice) and be very responsive and have a powerband hit. personaly in deep loam, sand, mud, rutted corners, 2 strokes are esier to ride. to me a 4 stroke is only the better choise on hardpack, slick or grippy. my personal prefferance is a 2 stroke, and will be for at least another 5 years

• Like 1

2 strokes are harder to maintain corner speed with, which in MX is everything. Four strokes allow even the most novice of riders to carry speed better to the obstacles, have easier to access torque for clearing jumps and overall are jsut easier to go fast on...on a track. In the woods, different story. For tight cut/thrust type woods, 2 strokes are easier to move around...but when it gets to rough climbs and such, the added torque and increased hookup of a four stroke will make it easier to live with for novice riders.

I have been a 2 stroke rider my whole life and have a 07cr250r. A good friend let me ride his 2011 crf450, this was the first time i rode a newer FI 450. The power delivery was much more smoother than my bike and it was easier to ride. The 450 is much less work getting over larger jumps and it kinda made me lazy. It was heavier but had much more torque which made it easy to ignore the heavier bike. I like the way my bike handles and the way my bike performs. I like the bursty power of a 2 stroke. The 4 stroke 450 is much easier to ride longer as the 250 takes a lot more effort to go fast and keep it on the pipe. More clutching and more harder braking to make the 2 stroke go fast. The 4 stroke is still a great beginner bike.

In deep sand or mud/loamy conditions I actually think the 4T is still better, because the power is more forgiving. If you fall off the pipe in these conditions on a 2T, you lose speed quickly. With a 4T, you just roll on more throttle and keep your speed up.

My biggest issue with 4T is the weight. I get worn out more on a 4T than on a 2T, b/c there's more weight to wrestle around. I also think that cornering is a lot better on the 2T. I am consistently able to cut inside of 4T bikes on the track.

2 strokes are harder to maintain corner speed with, which in MX is everything. Four strokes allow even the most novice of riders to carry speed better to the obstacles, have easier to access torque for clearing jumps and overall are jsut easier to go fast on...on a track. In the woods, different story. For tight cut/thrust type woods, 2 strokes are easier to move around...but when it gets to rough climbs and such, the added torque and increased hookup of a four stroke will make it easier to live with for novice riders.

+1, I've only been riding and racing for just close to 2 1/2 years, (hare scrambles), I owned a rm250 at the beginning, I've recently sold that and am on a yz450, the 450 is the first 450 I've owned or rode,and it is absolutely awesome, speed has picked up a ton compared to when I was on the 2stroke, not hating on 2 strokes, if my budget would allow it, I would still have the rm250 also, but for me, the 450 is a hell of a lot easier to ride, the damn thing goes over or up anything in its path,which could be done on either bike, its just easier on the 450 for me

I feel you have to be more precise with the 2 stroke, the 4 stroke is more forgiving. As stated before, if you are in deep stuff or a hill and fall out of the powerband, you are downshifting a 2 stroke, with a 4 stroke, you just throttle more and it will pull through. But also as stated before, to me the 2 stroke is much more fun to ride.

Jim

The 4t is easier to ride as most have mentioned you have torque at every part of TP. Depending on track conditions my lap times are pretty close on the 250 2t vs. the 450 4t but i'm working harder on the 2t. I'm fortunate to be able to have both & enjoy the cr250 a lot... it always puts a huge grin at the end of the day.

That is why 2 strokes will never die. I wish Honda would bring them back. And build them right with the correct port timing. These case reed motor rock with the correct port timing.

I couldn't agree more with this statement !

That is why 2 strokes will never die. I wish Honda would bring them back. And build them right with the correct port timing. These case reed motor rock with the correct port timing.

:worthy: Exactly...I am building a gen3 but with my 98 hpp motor. I think in a way, the 2 stroke is more popular than ever now that they've taken it away. Not hating on the 4stroke riders. I get it. But I will never switch. I ride just for the grin factor though.

I agree with the beginning answers, most all of the posts really. A 2 stroke is lighter, a 4 is smoother feeling through the gears. I think a good answer is just personal preference... I grew up and started on a 2001 CR125 and swore I'd never even consider a 4 stroke, thought they were powerless. I loved the 2 stroke everything about it. Since that bike I've owned 4 strokes, many of them and now I love them both for their own features, and really just like knowing I have them both in case I couldn't decide what to take out to ride that morning

• Like 1

Two different industry folks that have Honda dealerships I know have repeated the possibility of Honda bringing back the CR250 to the US...we will see