Sign in to follow this  

Best seat DRZ400

I struggle Craigo .... A recent 2 hour ride had me in pain ... The buns went numb along with the legs .

Stock seat + air hawk

Go seat concepts Chooken, you want regret it.

I go all day on mine now, don't even think about the seat.

Yeah Mate. Standard height, carbon sides with gripper top.

All up $200 odd shipped.

Any chance you could post up a pic, that is exactly the seat I am thinkin' about getting. Do you ride road with this or just dirt ? (still not sure weather to go gripper top or not)

Edited by Mad Dogg W

Any chance you could post up a pic, that is exactly the seat I am thinkin' about getting. Do you ride road with this or just dirt ? (still not sure weather to go gripper top or not)

No good pics sorry but if you go to the SC site there is pics plus there was a thread here with pics too.

I ride mainly off road with sealed sections as transports to the next bit of dirt.

Gripper is good, @6'1" standard height if fine.

• Like 1

Sorry for the shitty camera phone pics but here's mine. Standard height with C/F sides and gripper top. Keep in mind it's wider than stock which makes it seem taller....

120910_001.jpg

120910_002.jpg

• Like 1

I also have to say it was about the easiest seat cover install I've ever done. I've done quite a few and this kit fit better and required much less screwing around than any of the other brands I've used like N-Style, One Ind, Ceet, etc.....I highly recommend Seat Concepts!

Ive been looking at the SDG step seat. But i think i can outlast my gas tank so i have to stand up every 70 miles anyway (if i can get that far without breaking something). Plus i have a tendency to forget about other stuff while im riding. but i do notice myself getting pulled to the back. Especially recently...

Yeah, at the rate you're goin you should just save the money for engine parts! ;) Seriously though, the gripper keeps you where you want to be but doesn't restrict your ability to move around on the seat. I didn't mind the stock seat for off road as I rarely sit down but it was torture when cruising around town. I felt like an ass riding though traffic standing up, lol. My bike already attracts enough attention.....

• Like 1

I made my own custom memory foam seat. Its like riding on a soft couch.

The previous owner had trimmed the stock foam almost in half and modified the stock seat cover to fit it. I bought a new full sized gripper cover and a memory foam pillow from Sears. I contact cemented the memory foam on top of what was left of the stock foam and used an electric turkey carver to shape it. Then I slipped the gripper cover on and stapled it in place. I dont have any pics but it looks like a regular ole gripper standard height seat. Its very comfortable.

The hardest part is finding a stapler that will penetrate the plastic shell without bending the staples.

Good luck.

I wonder what is better, a seat concepts or a custom modified seat done locally. This is the dilemma I have right now, theres a good motorcycle seat guy near my house that can redo the seat, put custom logos on it and cool stuff like that or do I just go the tested seat concepts knowing it will definitely be an improvement over stock. Cost wise im guessing there wont be to much difference.

• Like 1

I made my own custom memory foam seat. Its like riding on a soft couch.

The previous owner had trimmed the stock foam almost in half and modified the stock seat cover to fit it. I bought a new full sized gripper cover and a memory foam pillow from Sears. I contact cemented the memory foam on top of what was left of the stock foam and used an electric turkey carver to shape it. Then I slipped the gripper cover on and stapled it in place. I dont have any pics but it looks like a regular ole gripper standard height seat. Its very comfortable.

The hardest part is finding a stapler that will penetrate the plastic shell without bending the staples.

Good luck.

Suggest you start making more to sell , if the seats are lounge like ... I' ll take one

Seat Concepts DRZ400 low seat install pics. This one is the regular black vinyl cover. I used an air stapler.

Vendors thread on ADV.

New foam in front.

drz_seat01.jpg

drz_seat02.jpg

Contact cement applied to new foam and old seat pan.

drz_seat03.jpg

Foam cemented to pan.

drz_seat04.jpg

The cover has been catching a few rays.

drz_seat05.jpg

Bada Bing, Bada Boom! :thumbsup:

drz_seat06.jpg

drz_seat07.jpg

My ass likes it. :smirk: Feels much better then stock. :applause:

It will get more of a test this weekend in the VA and WVA mountains. :cheers:

Edited by WayneJ

I have the Tall SeatConcepts(7.5" wide) and the Fisher Big Fish(12" wide). Both are great seats, but I have a bit of an annoying sciatic issue that the wider Fisher takes care of my keeping my arse from hanging off the sides.

Big Fish:

BigFish012.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh:

BigFish013.jpg