Is engine ruined?

I moved from Knoxville, TN over a year ago to live in Nashville, and a friend of mine kept my dirtbike in her back yard while I got myself situated.

I picked it up this weekend, and now I am trying to figure out what all I need to look at to make sure the engine isn't completely messed up.

Here's the thing. The bike was sitting outside - had no seat, no gas tank. The spark plug was removed. No carb. So there were definite openings to wear rain and any gunk could have gotten into the engine.

Would it be wise for me to dismantle the engine and check the parts for rust etc.. or could I just attach a new carb, plug and try to start it?

This is a Suzuki DRZ125L - 2007.

Thanks for any tips you may have.

It's a DR-Z... change the oil, put fresh gas in it, clean the carb, kick it over and cross your fingers.

If you're feeling remorseful, pour Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug hole and let it sit over night.

I got $5 that says it still runs.

*Disclaimer: it is not recommended to leave motors outside, let alone without a spark plug - some tweaker might steal it.

Edited by Smacaroni

I shined a light down the spark plug hole and.. friggin' rust! BUT... I'm still not giving up. I'm going to get a hold of a service manual, and attempt to rebuild this puppy.

So Bruce.. tell me the advantages of a big bore kit?

if you dont want to spend alot of money you can probobly just take the cylinder off and hone it to clean it up and then put it back on