TC450 Oil Turning Dark Grey

Anyone have experience with an odd oil color in their TC, TE or SM?

I dumped my oil after about 5 hours riding, and it was very dark gray, almost black. This seems odd for such few hours on the oil. Initially I thought it was water contamination. I tried to let it stand in a graduated cylinder, but it did not separate out. Also, the coolant level has not changed and it really doesn't have that milky, coffee color to it.

I put in some cheapy oil and ran the bike at three 10 minute intervals, allowing the engine to cool completely in between. Afterward, the oil came out as below. Again, dark and almost gray/green in color.

Oil Pics

Now I'm beginning to think it's the clutch. I checked the friction plates, but they were still in spec. Could the pressure plates be deteriorating? Anyone know if they are aluminum or steel. I'm wondering if it's not aluminum contamination from the pressure plates.

Thoughts?

Pull the stator cover off and mak shure the bolt holding the stator or pulsor are tite they come loose and do damage. they will rub on the stator and tear it up contaminating the oil. the metal clutch plat are steal and shoudn't hurt the oil.

Anyone have experience with an odd oil color in their TC, TE or SM?

I dumped my oil after about 5 hours riding, and it was very dark gray, almost black. This seems odd for such few hours on the oil. Initially I thought it was water contamination. I tried to let it stand in a graduated cylinder, but it did not separate out. Also, the coolant level has not changed and it really doesn't have that milky, coffee color to it.

I put in some cheapy oil and ran the bike at three 10 minute intervals, allowing the engine to cool completely in between. Afterward, the oil came out as below. Again, dark and almost gray/green in color.

Oil Pics

Now I'm beginning to think it's the clutch. I checked the friction plates, but they were still in spec. Could the pressure plates be deteriorating? Anyone know if they are aluminum or steel. I'm wondering if it's not aluminum contamination from the pressure plates.

Thoughts?

Aluminum was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Was this the first five hours the bike has been run?

Edited by Indorider

No, this is not the first 5 hours on the bike, just the first 5 since I bought it.

I did dump some gasoline in the crankcase and drained it out after shaking it around. Unfortunately, I found some sand in the gas when it came out. In the process of tearing down the engine right now. The top end looks really good, but there was some sand on top of the piston. Will report back soon.