without starting a big debate what can i clean air filters with

I stARTed using notoil green slime on some of my filters which work fine if there notoil filters , but ive ruined a few uni filters using the stuff ,they just turned to mush, a couple of my bikes have uni pod filters , and i'd rather not use gas on them , and i have one can of the uni cleaner , but i'd like to find a generic alternitive , ive heard diesel, kerosin etc , what is the best alteritive to clean that is less destructive , i used to buy kalgaurd spray cleaner that was cheap , but cant find it anymore. how about the k&n 32oz bottle at 10bucks its still not cheap..

ive done sone internet searching and havent really came up with anything

Hey fGrote, back in the day I used kerosene on my regular UNI filter. Nothing negative to say about it but I just stopped using kerosene once my supply ran out. The motorcycle shop owners down the road from me are pretty cool guys, I asked what should I use without spending a lot of money, they said use the k&n air filter cleaner but to be honest dish soap and a few minutes of rubbing will do the same job. I've been using it since, and saved $10 a bottle and spending .99 cents on a cheap bottle of dish soap.

only about a dozen threads on this topic. many different ways to do it.. if it looks clean when you are done, you probably did it right.

my 2c, i have switched to a 5gal bucked with 3gal of mineral spirits. dirt goes to the bottom, rinse out, let dry for a day, bel-ray sticky filter oil.

I've used diesel for over 30 years. It's a fairly mild solvent so the filter media and glues will last longer and nothing is less expensive. Soak the filter for 5-10 minutes in a large bucket of diesel, brush off the built up dirt, squeeze out the excess, then wash the filter in a bucket of warm soapy water three times. Thoroughly wash out the soap residue with clear water then let the filter air dry overnight before re-oiling. Never oil a damp filter.

Edited by CamP

i dont even know where to buy karosein , so i think i'll try diesel , and minral spirtits , maybe soak an old filter over nite and see if one or the other , damages the foam or glue.

since my truck is diesel i'll probably try that first ,

thanks for the advice guys

I keep mineral spirits in a 5 gallon bucket with vent holes drilled in the top. After use, the dirt/sand settles to the bottom so it's good for many uses. If you get too much dirt/sand in it, let it settle for a bit then syphon off the clean fluid from the top into a 2nd bucket. I keep one bucket for filters and one for cleaning parts.

As CamP stated, clean the filter in soapy water (I use Dawn and warm to hot water) three times or until you no longer see any dirt in the bottom of your container. You'll be amazed how much you would have missed if you only did it once.

Best of luck.

I stARTed using notoil green slime on some of my filters which work fine if there notoil filters , but ive ruined a few uni filters using the stuff ,they just turned to mush, a couple of my bikes have uni pod filters , and i'd rather not use gas on them , and i have one can of the uni cleaner , but i'd like to find a generic alternitive , ive heard diesel, kerosin etc , what is the best alteritive to clean that is less destructive , i used to buy kalgaurd spray cleaner that was cheap , but cant find it anymore. how about the k&n 32oz bottle at 10bucks its still not cheap..

ive done sone internet searching and havent really came up with anything

I'd switch filter brands. The only Twin Air filter I've seen fall apart was a filter from a rotted out 12yr old KX125 I once bought. And I think that was more due to the mice living in it.

I've used Kerosene on foam filters since it's not quite as harsh as gasoline and it has worked well. I stopped using it because I didn't like the fumes.

I now use either Spectre or PJ1 foam air filter cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for ~15 minutes, and rinse it out in a few times in a 5 gallon bucket full of warm water.

My new method isn't as "cost effective" as kerosene...but I think I'm saving a few brain cells heh.

I dip it in gas, and then dip it in hot water with dish soap. It cleans it better than any other way that I've tried.

A filter is a $25 part. I refuse to buy $20 in fancy chemicals to clean it.

It the 10 seconds of exposure to gas makes the filter wear out faster, which it never has for me, then I will accept a 6 year life span for that filter rather than a seven year life span.

Um, the OP said he's using the notoil oil but you guys are all suggesting petroleum cleaners. I don't use the notoil oil but I thought rule #1 was if you use it, you should start with a new filter and use a compatable cleaner, such as oxyclean suggested above, no petroleum products.

Me personally, twin air filters, PJ1 spray cleaner, then dawn and water. After that oil with Bel-Ray in the liter bottles.

The problem with gas, diesel, etc, is what do you do with all the old nasty dirty gas? No one will take it and it ain't cool to just pour it down the drain.

I have never had a prob oiling a damp filter. Since water and oil don't mix, the water just gets pushed out as you work the oil in.

Another prob with cleaning with gas, you better make sure you get it all out. Gas fumes in the filter plus a backfire equals bad news. Saw a guys bike burn up that way. The backfire screen ain't gonna stop that.

Um, the OP said he's using the notoil oil but you guys are all suggesting petroleum cleaners. I don't use the notoil oil but I thought rule #1 was if you use it, you should start with a new filter and use a compatable cleaner, such as oxyclean suggested above, no petroleum products.

Me personally, twin air filters, PJ1 spray cleaner, then dawn and water. After that oil with Bel-Ray in the liter bottles.

The problem with gas, diesel, etc, is what do you do with all the old nasty dirty gas? No one will take it and it ain't cool to just pour it down the drain.

I have never had a prob oiling a damp filter. Since water and oil don't mix, the water just gets pushed out as you work the oil in.

Another prob with cleaning with gas, you better make sure you get it all out. Gas fumes in the filter plus a backfire equals bad news. Saw a guys bike burn up that way. The backfire screen ain't gonna stop that.

I've been using the same three gallons of diesel for several years. I store 3 gallons of diesel in a 5 gallon bucket and the solids settle to the bottom of the bucket. About once a year I strain the solids out with a paint strainer and add another gallon of fresh diesel to make up for gallon lost over the year.

Oiling a wet filter is a bad idea. You may think that all the water in the filter is displaced by the fresh oil but that's not the case. There will still be water trapped in the filter and when it evaporates, those cells will be left dry. At least you are using liquid Belray when you do that because it is about the most heavy duty filter oil available.

Edited by CamP