DR650SE?

Have been thinking 250 but rethinking it. Want fairly light for commuting in the city and for some trails (not real technical) but can handle couple hours freeway if I have to. I'm 5'9" with about 30" inseam. Most DS seem very tall. Thinking the 250's would be a chore on freeway and maybe one day would like to take a trip on bike to see my brother in PA so looks like need to think bigger displacement. Lowest of the 650's looks like the DR650, thoughts on how heavy will be leaning on left foot at stop signs and lights even on hills? I've been riding cruisers mos of my adult life (I'm 50) but currently own a FZ6R sport type bike but looking now at something I can take off the beaten path of blacktop. Anyone else have the same background of not having ridden dualsports in a long time (like since about 1979 LOL) and have gotten back into it and seeming bit intimidated with how tall they are?

I had a '00 DR650SE and loved it as a commuter. It could do 70mph on the freeway with no issue, it would have needed some work to be a serious dirtbike. It could hand gravel roads with no issue (swap the tires if you plan on doing a lot of dirt) and probably some mild trails at a slow pace. The suspension and wieght keep it from picking up the pace to a full dirt bike. As a commuter it was awesome--nimble, light compared to other street bikes, corners well, and has a super reliable engine.

If memory serves me correctly, the rear shock has two mounting holes at the linkage that allows the rear to be lowered an inch or so. Once you did this and raised the forks in the tubes it should feel more comfortable for you. I'm 5'8' and 145lbs with about a 28" or 29" inseam.

Mostly roads,fire road, jeep type trails youd be hard pressed to beat the BMW f650GS (single) It will hold 70-75 all day long and still get around 65-70 MPG. It also has the lowest seat height and is the most comfortable of the thumpers. I got one that I call my camper bike. I use it to spend the night in out of the way places. I can ride this bike all day long if I had too.

If your doing more off road type riding both the KLR and DR650 are old tech but buletproof bikes.

That being said I just picked up a WR250R as a replacment dualsport my DR650 . Th WR250 does everything I want it to and is more off road than th DR. The only place I wouldnt like it is on the freeway. I like back road more anyway tho.

For the kind of riding you are looking to do I would check out ADVrider. com

Edited by crazy_dave

I had a '00 DR650SE and loved it as a commuter. It could do 70mph on the freeway with no issue, it would have needed some work to be a serious dirtbike. It could hand gravel roads with no issue (swap the tires if you plan on doing a lot of dirt) and probably some mild trails at a slow pace. The suspension and wieght keep it from picking up the pace to a full dirt bike. As a commuter it was awesome--nimble, light compared to other street bikes, corners well, and has a super reliable engine.

If memory serves me correctly, the rear shock has two mounting holes at the linkage that allows the rear to be lowered an inch or so. Once you did this and raised the forks in the tubes it should feel more comfortable for you. I'm 5'8' and 145lbs with about a 28" or 29" inseam.

Agree with this .. They are good bikes , they just need to be set up to suit you

Thinking pretty much that way, most of the dirt would be dirt roads, fire trails etc with some single track but not real gnarly stuff. This is looking more an option than the 250's I was looking at. As for BMW, way over my meager budget. One reason looking at dualsport is cheaper than the sportbike I have and cheaper insurance.

I just sold my DR650SE and replaced it with a WR250R.

For Interstate highway speeds, no question the 650 is better, but I don't miss it anywhere else. For highways where 100km/62PMH is a typical speed, the WRR does just fine.

Off-pavement, the WRR is way easier for me to ride. 70 lbs makes a lot of difference.

• 7 years later...

I ride a 2008 DR650SE, it’s a good all around bike. Decent on the road(I top out at 90 and ride smooth as a whistle) and decent on wide trails. But the problem is, it’s not great on either. If you want something more for riding trails go with a 250, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. if you want something more for the road go with a street bike or if you want a dual sport for sure, go with an adventure bike or dr.

https://youtu.be/rxtZLsculqg