Is this bad?

I posted on here about this a while ago, but now I have some pis. The bike is a Beta, but the motor is a KTM RFS 450. When I bought the bike a few months ago I was a little too hasty and didn't check it out as thoroughly as I could have. When I got it home and cleaned it up a bit I found the countershaft seal leaking. I took the sprocket off to clean the crud out and saw the worn out splines. The sprocket was loose and sloppy on the shaft. Fast forward to today. I put in a new seal, spacer, o-ring, sprocket, washer and bolt. The new sprocket and hardware seem to be a good tight fit. Will I be allright now or should I tear it down and put in a new shaft?

image2.jpg

Edited by r_jackson

I hope you remrembered how you did it because it wont be the last.I have had 3 ktms and they all did it.It seems it leaks worse with some sprockets than others.I have been told the thickness makes a difference i guess it holds more pressure on the spacer.It also helps keep the chain oiled.

Some would say it's do to lack of a cush drive hub but I think the CS sprocket thickness, domed washer and nut torque are very important. KTM's design will not work if all are not correct, within spec. A sprocket which can wiggle will lead to accelerated wear IMO.

Good or bad, I reinstall the old cupped washer on top of the new for a little more pinch.

Yours is just well broken-in.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Awe thanks guys! Everything but the shaft is all new is nice and tight. I don't know what the last owner did to it, but he wasn't much of a mechanic. I'll keep on riding and not be too worried about it.

The chain tension isn't too tight, in fact I was able to re-seal and change the sprocket without loosening the chain. It's a linkage suspension.

Edited by r_jackson

Green loctite is the one for fitting shafts together, #649

http://tds.loctite.c...docs/649-EN.PDF

Blue won't help here. Ktm specs 649 for fitting things like the flywheel to the crank. It would probably help the CS splines live longer if used correctly. YMMV.

Judging by your pic, you have lots of hours left before you should worry.