Sign in to follow this  

05 won't start... running out of ideas

Ive owned the bike for a couple weeks now and it has always started easy. Rode it at the hatfield and mccoy trails last weekend and ever since then its been tough to start. The only way I can start it now is to bump start it. Intake valves are .005" and .006". Exhaust is .010" and .011". Has new spark plug that is getting spark. Has new and clean air filter. Compression is 75 psi kicking it over. Cam timing is right on the money and cam chain is tight. I drained all the gas out of it and filled it with fresh gas. When I bump start it, it idles and runs perfect. Anything I forgot to check?

you might want to try cleaning out your jets. I ride an 05 RMZ but it was having similar problems. cleaning out the starter jet and the pilot jet instantly fixed the problem.

what's you starting technique?

have you tried twisting the throttle 2-3 times before kicking?

some also kick them over slowly until you hear the decompressor click, go bit more, then kick it.

Ive tried with and without twisting the throttle a couple times. I never had to twist the throttle before it started acting up. When I pulled the plug it was a little wet. I think its getting gas. I just tried to take the float bowl off to check the jets but a couple of the screws were in there so tight the heads stripped out. I did pull the drain plug and pilot jet. it looked ok but I ran a piece of small wire through it anyway. Wish I could have got to the starter jet to check it. What I dont understand is after I came back from riding it last weekend I washed it. Started it up and rode it in the garage and put it on the stand. Went out the next day and it took a bunch of kicks to start it. Now its even worse.

has it ever had a top end and how many hours are on it? it might be time for new valves and seats. do a leak down test or take the head off and see if the valves hold fluid. first thing i would do though is put a new pilot jet in it and clean the carb real good.

I tried my luck with it again this morning. Kicked it 20-30 times with choke on, and near the end it acted like it wanted to start but would only hit a couple times. Turned the choke off and within 5-6 kicks it started. Once it was warmed up it started on the first kick everytime. Seems like its getting too much fuel? the pilot jet thats in it is a 42. I live about 800 feet above sea level and its been in the 60's and 70's here lately. I may try to adjust the fuel screw and see if that helps.

Try two snaps of the throttle (atleast 3/4 throttle) and kick with all your might, no choke.

For what its worth I turned the fuel screw in 1/4 turn and it started on the 3rd kick cold with the choke on. It seems to run too lean near idle and has some hesitation just off idle. If I turn the screw out 1/4 turn it is a pain to start, but the hesitation is gone and doesnt seem to run too lean.

replace the fuel screw and Oring. I would suggest a longer aftermarket one like the sunline that has all the parts new for you.