Sign in to follow this  

Does an 01 yz125 cylinder fit on a 02 yz125?

There is a very slight part # difference between the 2 years. I would say yes it would work, But thats just my opinion.

2001 - 5MV-11311-10-00

2002 - 5NY-11311-10-00

A small difference would be in the last two digits of the part number, -00 vs -01 for example. When the first three characters are different it usually indicates a significant redesign.

I would bet there are significant differences in those two cylinders. Even if they do bolt up it may not work right. I would do some more research first.

When I was struggling to do the swingarm bearings on the YZ125 I spent hours on the yamaha parts fiche site comparing part numbers. It turned out this 98 bike had a later swingarm fitted. The 5?? (I mis-remember exactly) number cast in to the arm not matching what a 98 should be gave the game away. I managed it eventually once I realised it could be done by using a mixture of collars and thrust washers from different years.

So yes, those three characters are very significant. You will often find later models use parts from earlier versions and retain the same code but if not it probably won't fit.

There's a useful site out there that gives part interchangeability info if your Google mojo is good.

Yes it will fit. I am pretty sure 99-04. Some years saw porting changes. The motor design is pretty much the same through those years. Head may be different for mount/headstay. The athena kit covers 98-04, so oem should cover these years.

Not only did the cylinder change for 2002, but the piston did as well. My thinking is these parts changed together for a good reason. The same piston was used for 1999-2001, and then another piston was used for 2002-2004. So you may be able to use the 2002 cylinder if you also change to the 2002 piston. The head is the same.

Personally, I would play it safe and just stick to the same model year parts.