Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

Figured we list some of the routine stuff as well as modifications we do to keep our rides in shape.

I'll start:

Suspension adjustment (stock suspension): 3 clicks out on rebound shock/forks, high speed compression on shock 3 clicks in, static sag set at 25mm with full desert tank, and all bagged up for solo ADV rides. Race sag is 93mm in street clothes/103mm in full riding gear.

I'm a "C" rider who rides a little bit of everything including single track, desert, rocks, whoops….

I'm just getting ready (in the next few weeks) to do a full 50hr service. Looking to change spark plug, check valve clearance, brake fluid flush, coolant flush/install silicone hoses and Factory Beta high flow waterpump, clean carb and document jet sizes/needle position, install Georges carb vent filter.

Normal 5-10hr service stuff such as oil/filter change, air filter service, check spokes, tire pressure, lube chain/check slack, go over complete bike front/rear/top/bottom check bolts/nuts.

What other routines do some of you guys have?

Edited by ballisticexchris
  • Like 2

The various tubing on my RS smog equipment came apart in several different places. I'm sure that it sucked at least a little dirt. I've done some re-engineering to the system.

I've been working so much this summer that I'm not up to the hour point that you are at.

If you are not a racer and ride easy at times deleting the thermostat might not be the best plan. I need to install a fan a lot more than I need more water flow.

The various tubing on my RS smog equipment came apart in several different places. I'm sure that it sucked at least a little dirt. I've done some re-engineering to the system.

I've been working so much this summer that I'm not up to the hour point that you are at.

If you are not a racer and ride easy at times deleting the thermostat might not be the best plan. I need to install a fan a lot more than I need more water flow.

Good point on the thermostat. I have the fan already. I'm so traumatized from my KTM 300 boiling, that I am looking for every cooling advantage with this bike. I tend to ride a gear high so she stays warm…..

Normal 5-10hr service stuff such as oil/filter change,

Thats not normal, thats a non-interval.

Normal use is 30 hrs and if you're Cody or Oscar then it should be half.

Especially the tranny oil can be left even more (50rhs). Haven;t done it but I always regret it when I am changing it.

If you use cheap oil, just don't.

Oil change intervals shoulf not be mixed with oil quality.

• Like 1

Thats not normal, thats a non-interval.

Normal use is 30 hrs and if you're Cody or Oscar then it should be half.

Especially the tranny oil can be left even more (50rhs). Haven;t done it but I always regret it when I am changing it.

If you use cheap oil, just don't.

Oil change intervals shoulf not be mixed with oil quality.

It's normal for me. I'm on the 5hr-10hr/20hr plan. At 5-10hrs I change the motor oil. Then after another 5-10hrs I change the motor oil, filter and trans oil. I'm very picky when it comes to servicing my bikes. You can't change out fluids too much. Sometimes after a hard day ride, I spend a few hours going over my bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Installation of DRC IC Relay.

If you are running LED turn signals front and rear you will need one of these:

pv01.jpg

Install was a major PITA!! I spent over three hours trying almost every possible way to make my turn signals work! Being relentless in making it work, I finally got er' done! Thank you Dave (Get Dirty Dirt Bikes)!!

Step 1: Put a torch to the worthless instructions!

Step 2: Ditch the stock flasher relay

Step 3: Black DRC Flasher wire to ground

Step 4: Yellow DRC Flasher wire to hot wire (grey/black) that goes into stock flasher.

Step 5: Red DRC Flasher wire to output wire (yellow/red) that comes out of stock flasher going to turn signals.

Step 6: Most important, the turn signal indicator light bulb (on dashboard) must be removed. Otherwise your turn signals will work like 4 way flashers.

Final installation picture:

100_3319.jpg

This is a very nice modification for guys that want to run the LED flashers.

• Like 3

If you had a flasher relay, why not just replace it with a led relay?

This one plugs right in on most bikes.

http://www.superbrig...cts/LF1-S-FLAT/

or wired #9

http://www.superbrig...lasher%20relay/

The Betas come stock with an electronic flasher. For some reason they don't work with DRC led bulbs. The one I installed stays cool. It's also designed to work with the DRC bulbs that I'm using.

I don't recommend the load resisters as they create a lot of heat and draw quite a few watts out of your system.

My 2010 Beta 450RR came with the flasher relay shown below. It was a demo bike that the dealer added the light kit to before I bought it. I'm not sure if this flasher relay is standard issue or not. I replaced the stock turn signals (front and back) with LED ones from Sicass Racing. I was pleasantly surprised when I connected the flashers and everything worked properly.

P1020831.jpg

• Like 2

I can't see why any LED flasher relay would not work. If anything, it would throw an error and your turn signal light on the dash would either stay on or not flash, signals would still blink. Most if not all flasher relays are electronic.

Edited by weantright

My 2010 Beta 450RR came with the flasher relay shown below. It was a demo bike that the dealer added the light kit to before I bought it. I'm not sure if this flasher relay is standard issue or not. I replaced the stock turn signals (front and back) with LED ones from Sicass Racing. I was pleasantly surprised when I connected the flashers and everything worked properly.

P1020831.jpg

Yeah, That's the same one I have. For some reason my LED signals don't work with it. I think a lot of my "teething issues" installing the LED's were due to the fact I have converted my electrical system to DC only

How much was the Carb Filter? It seem that venting the float bowl "overflow" into the filter would block the thing up. Where am I wrong here?

It sure does look like a nice setup though!

Sorry, it's an optical illusion. The carb overflow line is zip tied along the right side of the filter. The filter is about 30 bucks.

Depends on the bike. I believe that the RR's are supposed to be 14/48 and the RS's 15/45. My RS came with a bad sprocket and the I had the dealer put a 14 on it so it was 14/45. This is too tall for technical work. I've switched to 13/48 for the tighter stuff and 14/48 for the desert. With my stock chain 14/48 is a very tight squeeze. It has just enough slack with the adjusters at the minimum setting.

I have a feeling that the RR's may one step or two links longer so 14/48 fits better. I'll be doing that when my chain is toast.

I installed HDB handguards the other day. I had them on my Kawi and the bar clamp bolt pattern turned out to be the same as the Beta.

preview_image_0_76705892x.jpg

preview_image_0_44025362x.jpg

I also replaced the stock battery with a Shorai lithium iron battery which saves two thirds the weight. It seems to spin the motor faster than the stock one.

• Like 3