Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

9 hours ago, newk75 said:

images%20(16).jpg

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

That is funny, what do you think of those steg pegz? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, newk75 said:

I don't know about him but I love mine! I really thought they were one of those "snake oil" products until getting a set for myself. For going through whoops and long hillclimbs they can't be beat. I have the pucks set all the way back. I'm thinking the puck position all depends on how you ride on the pegs. I stand on the balls of my feet.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, newk75 said:

I love them for the same reasons as Chris.  Hardly even notice them anymore they're just there doing their thing, until I ride someones bike that doesn't have them and notice right away the difference.  It's one of those simple things I probably won't be without anymore.  I was lucky and scored a set used.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

First engine/trans oil change question... 

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

1. The bike should be level, as in, not on the side stand, correct?
  2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

10 minutes ago, nagc said:

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

1. I don't take the screen off the bolt, just spray it off with brake clean if dirty and blow with compressed air.  It's usually clean so I just blow it off.

2. I usually use needle nose pliers inside the recess spread apart to pull it. 

Trans oil:

1/2  Disregard the weep hole and just add 750ml each to both engine and trans.

• Like 9

On 6/22/2017 at 11:18 AM, nagc said:

Engine oil:

Trans oil:

I tip the bike over to get the oil filter out.  I suspect this is not the factory approved method but it works for me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions. What would cause my chain to do this?20170710_113522.jpg
It's not to lose and checked the axle and it mics that it's straight....any thoughts?
Second, does my 2017 beta 500 use the same clutch and brake levers as KTM or another brand that I might be able to get locally. Going on a week trip in the Rockies and need some backups. While I'm asking, any recommendations for a shorty clutch lever?
Thanks for the help.

Not sure what thread to put this in? I guess you could say that I modified my 17 500 RR-S this weekend and need help finding a part.

T1y-cksEY4-lSr-5Sh2ncReyKDNji39DarVldVNl

I am looking for the black part of the fender that supports the License plate and brake light. I have searched this site and Beat's site and have come up empty. In my manual it gives a part number but can't find it on their web site. I can get plastics kits no problem but not the inner fender. I imagine that these break often. 

My beta dealer is 4 hours away so I was hoping to find that the inner fender is the same as some other brand that I could find locally? If not I need to get one on order from beta.

Help... pretty please.

Not sure what thread to put this in? I guess you could say that I modified my 17 500 RR-S this weekend and need help finding a part.
T1y-cksEY4-lSr-5Sh2ncReyKDNji39DarVldVNlkQlAdpScRNo1BfI6ycj4I-L5yJNXqYen-6LfW_n0Tk3RmBqvg7EhdLGNG9TG8zfZUUVONOGgbJTtncVZtmFmUOeofHEw8oEWHk-r1B71DtkkoZWoNvDj_T4TU_kGd6WzwX8gq41oGoA3OBnbOCeP4MKy3u5SCXQBvUxbqzjiNnErM6PGByuexFac7i97rF8vq3MIeE4hk0FI7lJKB0cf_tMCYb_-O6O-jPoIkearx2AGoh-hjGc37lO9ygmORve3k1YM0B-VYF5FVP7fzwsEoeLJ60j6J_HrIWE31EJOhzi7qrXEAYfWcSyvl4sbJTaKMHFckxwNRl8Sn0TIJBLYU6pshDcegX1Or8Sw9CeIpu5t97vjEB7kKAXyJK7UJ64MVAmGnLkVdFPyqjvpI9tZy-1G-HFMJwHiLlaP3vZKJ3FzLKTxi08YiPH_-v2VKMQmpERqzDGVkJTZ0WxWOfjyDnsHSftPHUJtUdEGMrSd617_-qrTJZjUYdS8tJqJD3gKKJAgpEaiePZ9YwmVDUDeEK-AN7HeN7S_z5UBmjxwiuCBP8sTOezKksBP57fRCfedTniUNCkRUpXtWdEG=w1369-h770-no
I am looking for the black part of the fender that supports the License plate and brake light. I have searched this site and Beat's site and have come up empty. In my manual it gives a part number but can't find it on their web site. I can get plastics kits no problem but not the inner fender. I imagine that these break often. 
My beta dealer is 4 hours away so I was hoping to find that the inner fender is the same as some other brand that I could find locally? If not I need to get one on order from beta.
Help... pretty please.

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-beta-beta-rear-subfender-p-1119.html
  • Like 2

I rednecked mine as well, but since I never made those cuts in my plastics (like I was told) the red plastics are broken as well. I just leave it without the subfender however I mount my signals to it and when it snapped it snapped right through the holes I drilled for mounting the blinkers. I did notice that since I added the nomadic rack that when I loop it the fender bends @ the back of the rack and not further forward like before. I may look for an option to utilize the rack for mounting my plate and blinkers so I could just mount my brake light to the bottom of the fender..... ? Thanks for the help and the link monstersumo

• 2 weeks later...

Very specific question, this one.  I have a 450RR 2012.  Having problems with the rear brake spring plate/s inside the rear caliper.

On the exploded diagram for the rear brake only one plate (sprung)  is shown and I have ordered and received one from AZMoto in France.  But inside my rear caliper is another small metal plate (unsprung) that sits deep and accepts the tabs on the ends of the brake pads.  I can't find this plate on the exploded diagram and I can't find a part number for it.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any advice...

Best wishes, Dave

On 6/22/2017 at 8:18 AM, nagc said:

Engine oil:

Trans oil:

Ditto - i just clean the filter on the plug with brake clean and air dry lightly.  Snap ring pliers work wonders for getting the oil filter out.

I just drain (warmed so it flows better) and dump 750ml in each as per the manual. Good to go.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2017 at 8:37 PM, newk75 said:

Two questions. What would cause my chain to do this?20170710_113522.jpg
It's not to lose and checked the axle and it mics that it's straight....any thoughts?
Second, does my 2017 beta 500 use the same clutch and brake levers as KTM or another brand that I might be able to get locally. Going on a week trip in the Rockies and need some backups. While I'm asking, any recommendations for a shorty clutch lever?
Thanks for the help.

The wear on the front fender flap looks the same as mine. Somebody at Beta needs to change the design on that.

I put ARC unbreakable folding levers on my Beta. They are the same length as stock though as I don't want it any shorter.

20170106_104206-1.jpg

Edited by danketchpel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, danketchpel said:

The wear on the front fender flap looks the same as mine. Somebody at Beta needs to change the design on that.

I put ARC unbreakable folding levers on my Beta. They are the same length as stock though as I don't want it any shorter.

20170106_104206-1.jpg

That flap in that section always gets shredded on whatever bike. The swing arm moves up and down there plus mud and rock and branches etc always go in there with my bikes. My honda cr 250 tore that up too. The chain ends up loosening too even though it's still in spec it is just a part of the front section that needs to be there to try to limit mud packing in there.Sometimes it's not enough anyway. It's worse not to have that flap there. I'm not sure what would be much better there. Especially for the mud riders that it just packs up in there. Maybe that's why that section is replaceable.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got my eBay used Beta seat today . I wanted to try a stock height seat again. The tall seat concepts seat I have is great but on steep down hills it puts me at a higher center of gravity.. I'm taller plus I wear a heavy backpack so I'm trying to lay out further back but I'm more toward the tipping point at times. I'm going to move my bars further back in the next hole back in the triple clamps too.. I'll see how those ergos work .. In most open riding the tall seat concepts is awesome though.. 

These seats are pushing $400 shipped!! If new.. Damn!! I'm paying $170 shipped. Not cheap but not bad.. It doesn't looked ripped. I cleaned it. It was a bit dirty but looks ok now.

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This thread seems to on life support but I will give it a shot. Fired the 17' 500 rr-s yesterday, a week or so after an oil change and drove it to church and back. The trip was about 8 miles, all on asphalt. I parked it in the garage and about an hour later there was a softball size puddle of oil under the bike. The oil was coming from the air box. I removed the filter and the bottom of it was saturated with oil. Both sides of the air filter were coated in oil and what hadn't gone out through the drain hole was pooling in the bottom of the air box. In the previous oil change I put about 800ml on each side and warmed the motor up before draining the old oil. I did not replace the filter as I had only a few hours on the old oil. I did use KTM 50 wt for the previous oil change as I was stuck in the mountains and only had a half day to ride. I had drained my oil thinking I had brought what I needed only to find that I did not have it. I used the 50wt for less than 6 hours..... hope that did not cause this. I have not laid the bike down just rode it on the street.   Any thoughts? I did do a stepper reset but that is all I can think of. 

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.