ballisticexchris

Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

1,507 posts in this topic

I installed HDB handguards the other day. I had them on my Kawi and the bar clamp bolt pattern turned out to be the same as the Beta.

preview_image_0_76705892x.jpg

preview_image_0_44025362x.jpg

I also replaced the stock battery with a Shorai lithium iron battery which saves two thirds the weight. It seems to spin the motor faster than the stock one.

Nice handguard setup! I will post pics of mine with the Baja Designs Squadron headlight sometime this week.

For anyone wanting to do valve check, it's a very simple procedure. Just remember to remove the top motor mounts. Also keep in mind for checking valve clearance, no need to get it at TDC. Check exhaust clearance when intake is opening/ intake when exhaust is closing. You will also need a short allen wrench for clearance to the right rear cover bolt (I just cut mine down).

It was the first time for me so it took a few hours. That includes disassembly, rerouting and cleaning up wiring harness, and reassembly.

Specs are as follows:

Intake .10-.175mm ( .004-.007" ), Exhaust .125-.20mm ( .005-.008" )

If you do have to pull the cams for shim replacement, you MUST HAVE the piston at TDC of the compression stroke with the sprocket marks lined up.

1 person likes this

I am having trouble getting the chain tensioned to what I think is right, can someone tell me if you tension the chain on the kickstand or standing upright and what the proper slack should be? It seems when I tension it to what I think is good, when take it off the kick stand it seems a bit tight.

Thanks

For anyone wanting to do valve check, it's a very simple procedure. Just remember to remove the top motor mounts. Also keep in mind for checking valve clearance, no need to get it at TDC. Check exhaust clearance when intake is opening/ intake when exhaust is closing. You will also need a short allen wrench for clearance to the right rear cover bolt (I just cut mine down).

It was the first time for me so it took a few hours. That includes disassembly, rerouting and cleaning up wiring harness, and reassembly.

Specs are as follows:

Intake .10-.175mm ( .004-.007" ), Exhaust .125-.20mm ( .005-.008" )

If you do have to pull the cams for shim replacement, you MUST HAVE the piston at TDC of the compression stroke with the sprocket marks lined up.

Why remove the top motor mount?

Next install was a simple one. This is the very sweet carb vent filter designed and fabricated by George at Uptite Husky. It gets rid of the black box and filters out dirt. If you live in wet climate you could put it in the airbox.

100_3308.jpg

100_3321.jpg

Nice pics.. I didn't see this earlier.. i had to search a bit to find pictures of this.

I read on here somewhere that someone had twisted off their countershaft sprocket bolt trying to take it off. Is this bolt a right hand or left hand thread?

I read on here somewhere that someone had twisted off their countershaft sprocket bolt trying to take it off. Is this bolt a right hand or left hand thread?

My 2012 RS520 has standard right hand threads on that bolt. It's on there with blue thread locker so it is not easy to get out. I was wondering if I was going to twist it off the first time I removed it. I'll not be reusing that bolt too many times before I replace it.

Would anyone know if there is an aftermarket kickstand that would fit a 2009 Beta 400RR? Simiar to the Probillet would be ideal

Anyone know the procedure for removing the shock on an 11 450 RR? Getting ready for re-valve, I've never messed with anything other than KTM PDS which is 2 bolts and pulls right off.

Would anyone know if there is an aftermarket kickstand that would fit a 2009 Beta 400RR? Simiar to the Probillet would be ideal

I have both believe me the stock one is much better...

1 person likes this

Anyone know the procedure for removing the shock on an 11 450 RR? Getting ready for re-valve, I've never messed with anything other than KTM PDS which is 2 bolts and pulls right off.

Betasubframe.jpg

Pull the seat, right side panel and take shock mount bolts out. I was told you could sneak it out from there. I took the bike apart to retorque all the fittings and respring rear and front during Hurricane Irene a couple years ago. We were out of power for 13 days and I was bored stiff every night. Of course by now you probably got it out.

Betasubframe.jpg

Pull the seat, right side panel and take shock mount bolts out. I was told you could sneak it out from there. I took the bike apart to retorque all the fittings and respring rear and front during Hurricane Irene a couple years ago. We were out of power for 13 days and I was bored stiff every night. Of course by now you probably got it out.

No power and you were working on your bike at night, I guess you can work on these bikes with your eyes closed :lol:

1 person likes this